News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

X-Plus/Star Ace

Started by Over9K, February 09, 2020, 03:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

X-Plus/Star Ace will be launching their series of dinosaurs from the Harryhausen classic film One Million Years B.C. this year with the Allosaurus schedule for a Q3 release...

... and at Winter Wonder Festival in Nihama 2/9/20 they've revealed the second figure to be released in the series, the Triceratops!

Other figures in the series will include a Ceratosaurus and a Pteranodon, according to an earlier image from last year...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Does anyone have the Allosaurus up for preorder? Will def want the Triceratops and Pteranodon later too.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 09, 2020, 04:14:45 AM
Does anyone have the Allosaurus up for preorder? Will def want the Triceratops and Pteranodon later too.

Not yet. If they intend a July release, we should see the pre-order like April-ish. If they're aimed at the far end of Q3, we won't see the pre-order until June-ish.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 10, 2020, 07:12:52 AM

Not yet. If they intend a July release, we should see the pre-order like April-ish. If they're aimed at the far end of Q3, we won't see the pre-order until June-ish.

Awesome. Think BBTS will have them?

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 10, 2020, 04:46:28 PM

Probably yes, but BBTS tends to be HIDEOUSLY overpriced for X-Plus/Star Ace stuff, and super super slow getting them to customers, like BBTS won't have their stock until 6 weeks after release of the figure, and shipping from every other retailer. I believe this is due to BBTS using the slowest shipping for their stock coming to them from Japan, so they can maintain a margin, while subsidizing that $4 flatrate shipping they offer. That money has to come from somewhere, and marking up the imports is where it comes from.

Check out AwesomeCollector (https://awesomecollector.com/), Jason is a collector and a good guy, his prices are very, very close to Japan prices, plus shipping of course, and he gets everything X-Plus does that is Kaiju/Creature related. I'm going to email him to find out if he plans on carrying the One Million Years line, but I suspect the answer will be yes. I use AwesomeCollector for P-Bandai stuff and stuff X-Plus doesn't allow on their North American portal site.

Personally, I prefer to buy from Japanese retailers when I can. Took a bit of tweaking, had to have a conversation with my CC company about ordering from overseas and triggering the fraud protection, denying transactions, but now I'm hooked up with HobbySearch (https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/mecha/), and the official North American portal of the Shonen RIC website (https://us.ric-toy.com/), X-Plus' own outlet for the DX versions of stuff.

Hobby Search has always been the least expensive for any of this stuff, including shipping. They have an agreement with X-Plus that allows them to be one of the major retailers for X-Plus, ordering in bulk, and they tend to discount the products by several thousand yen, sometimes $40/$50US, right out of the gate, on the pre-orders. I have yet to see a more cost effective source. The gap to the next retailer might only be a few bucks, but a dollar is a dollar.

The Shonen RIC site will be the least expensive for the DX and RIC versions of stuff, but I'm less sure they'll do this line. Another thing to consider when pre-ordering with them is that they take the entire amount of the order right when you pre-order, shipping included.

CityRaptor

Well, those look good so far, although probably way out of my range.

So does Tumak come with the Allosaurus? Because if so, I think there is a good chance that the Pteranodon might come with Loana, given that it is a rather iconic scene.

I generally wonder if we will see a full line up of creatures.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 10, 2020, 07:18:03 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 10, 2020, 04:46:28 PM

Probably yes, but BBTS tends to be HIDEOUSLY overpriced for X-Plus/Star Ace stuff, and super super slow getting them to customers, like BBTS won't have their stock until 6 weeks after release of the figure, and shipping from every other retailer. I believe this is due to BBTS using the slowest shipping for their stock coming to them from Japan, so they can maintain a margin, while subsidizing that $4 flatrate shipping they offer. That money has to come from somewhere, and marking up the imports is where it comes from.

Check out AwesomeCollector (https://awesomecollector.com/), Jason is a collector and a good guy, his prices are very, very close to Japan prices, plus shipping of course, and he gets everything X-Plus does that is Kaiju/Creature related. I'm going to email him to find out if he plans on carrying the One Million Years line, but I suspect the answer will be yes. I use AwesomeCollector for P-Bandai stuff and stuff X-Plus doesn't allow on their North American portal site.

Personally, I prefer to buy from Japanese retailers when I can. Took a bit of tweaking, had to have a conversation with my CC company about ordering from overseas and triggering the fraud protection, denying transactions, but now I'm hooked up with HobbySearch (https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/mecha/), and the official North American portal of the Shonen RIC website (https://us.ric-toy.com/), X-Plus' own outlet for the DX versions of stuff.

Hobby Search has always been the least expensive for any of this stuff, including shipping. They have an agreement with X-Plus that allows them to be one of the major retailers for X-Plus, ordering in bulk, and they tend to discount the products by several thousand yen, sometimes $40/$50US, right out of the gate, on the pre-orders. I have yet to see a more cost effective source. The gap to the next retailer might only be a few bucks, but a dollar is a dollar.

The Shonen RIC site will be the least expensive for the DX and RIC versions of stuff, but I'm less sure they'll do this line. Another thing to consider when pre-ordering with them is that they take the entire amount of the order right when you pre-order, shipping included.

I sometimes order from HLJ.com, but again I'm not sure they will carry them. I'll check and see, I used to order a ton of stuff through Yahoo Japan and auction services, just lost most of my contacts over the years after not buying as much. 

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 13, 2020, 11:22:44 PM

So does Tumak come with the Allosaurus? Because if so, I think there is a good chance that the Pteranodon might come with Loana, given that it is a rather iconic scene.

If you buy when they are released it's not too bad. 

I guess we'll see, probably depends how well the first release does.

Over9K

Typically X-Plus/Star Ace will release two versions of a given figure, a Standard Version and a DX Version. The Standard Version is usually just the figure. The DX version will have some enhancing feature, or bonus. As an example, for Kong: Skull Island, the Standard Star Ace 30cm Kong figure was just Kong, and the DX Version included both a diorama base with a waterfall and foliage, and a crushed Huey Helicopter for Kong to grip in his massive hand.

I am expecting the human characters to the DX features for this series, given the scale and the detail they will require. It looks like we can expect the 4 Dinosaurs, Allosaurus, Triceratops, Ceratosaurus and Pteranodon in this series, but I do hope that this is just the beginning of a Harryhausen series of figure offerings. I know I'd love a 30cm Gwangi, or Ymir, or Cyclops, or Kraken...

Over9K

I did get a reply from Jason Welling over at AwesomeCollector, and he told me that there is a lot of interest in this series, and he will be carrying it as a result, so Western collectors that aren't used to ordering from Japan will have a very cost-competitive source from which to obtain these figures...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 14, 2020, 04:50:33 AM

Typically X-Plus/Star Ace will release two versions of a given figure, a Standard Version and a DX Version. The Standard Version is usually just the figure. The DX version will have some enhancing feature, or bonus. As an example, for Kong: Skull Island, the Standard Star Ace 30cm Kong figure was just Kong, and the DX Version included both a diorama base with a waterfall and foliage, and a crushed Huey Helicopter for Kong to grip in his massive hand.

I am expecting the human characters to the DX features for this series, given the scale and the detail they will require. It looks like we can expect the 4 Dinosaurs, Allosaurus, Triceratops, Ceratosaurus and Pteranodon in this series, but I do hope that this is just the beginning of a Harryhausen series of figure offerings. I know I'd love a 30cm Gwangi, or Ymir, or Cyclops, or Kraken...

I have a large vinyl Dragon from Sinbad but I'm spacing on the company that made it.  XPlus did do a Gwangi for a Japanese release of the film? Though I wasn't super impressed.  Hopefully they make a larger more accurate one too.

Quote from: Over9K on February 14, 2020, 04:56:00 AM
I did get a reply from Jason Welling over at AwesomeCollector, and he told me that there is a lot of interest in this series, and he will be carrying it as a result, so Western collectors that aren't used to ordering from Japan will have a very cost-competitive source from which to obtain these figures...

Awesome! Is he accepting preorders yet?

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 14, 2020, 06:05:05 AMI have a large vinyl Dragon from Sinbad but I'm spacing on the company that made it.  XPlus did do a Gwangi for a Japanese release of the film? Though I wasn't super impressed.  Hopefully they make a larger more accurate one too.

Many years ago X-Plus did a line of articulated Harryhausen figures, at about 25cm size, I have the Cyclops, the Sinbad dragon, Talos (the living Greek monument), Kali (the six-armed living statue), and the Ymir. Since these were made X-Plus has vast improved their product in terms of sculpt and these characters could certainly use an update in a larger size.

Quote from: Over9K on February 14, 2020, 04:56:00 AM

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 14, 2020, 06:05:05 AMAwesome! Is he accepting preorders yet?

Not yet. X-Plus/StarAce has not released the Allosaurus for pre-orders, so there is no pricing yet, or a solid release window other than the vague "Q3 2020" we got last summer.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 16, 2020, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 14, 2020, 06:05:05 AMI have a large vinyl Dragon from Sinbad but I'm spacing on the company that made it.  XPlus did do a Gwangi for a Japanese release of the film? Though I wasn't super impressed.  Hopefully they make a larger more accurate one too.

Many years ago X-Plus did a line of articulated Harryhausen figures, at about 25cm size, I have the Cyclops, the Sinbad dragon, Talos (the living Greek monument), Kali (the six-armed living statue), and the Ymir. Since these were made X-Plus has vast improved their product in terms of sculpt and these characters could certainly use an update in a larger size.

That might be him, though my dragon is pretty large I would guess close to 2' long?

Over9K

Yeah, the X-Plus Sinbad dragon isn't quite that big, maybe 18" total length... here's mine... you can just make out Kali in the background...

... and here are the others, Talos, Cyclops and Ymir...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Epic!  Love that Ymir!

This is the one I have, I had to look him up, seems he's an X-Plus as well.

I've been getting some resin kits from Joe Laudati, working on the Rex from Caveman now.  He's actually done a ton of stop motion inspired pieces.

cooksonia

I have that dragon. But I have the 60cm Cyclops which I thought was Kaiyodo rather than X-Plus that I bought from Hobby Link Japan some years ago. My one has a large spiked club as seen in the film but not used by a Cyclops. Any way I am looking forward to these new figures immensely.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Official release pics are out :

32cm tall / Q3 release date.

Over9K

The X-Plus/Star Ace 30cm One Million Years B.C. Allosaurus is up for pre-order at BBTS for a Q32020 release, priced at $195.99 for the Standard Ver. The figure is listed at 32cm (12.60in) tall! The Standard Ver. comes with a base, branded with the One Million Years B.C. movie logo.

The DX Ver. adds the 15cm (5.9in) Tumak figure, for a price of $259.99, OR you can order the Tumak separately for $104.99, but I'm not exactly sure why anyone would do that.

So far, the pre-order for these haven't shown up at Awesome Collector, or Hobby Search, so collectors may want to wait and see if they do, and how they are priced at other sources, before making their choices, given how BBTS can be on their prices...

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/118545

Blade-of-the-Moon

Heard back from Jason at Awesome Collector, he's added the set to his site here :  https://awesomecollector.com/collections/xplususa/products/one-million-years-b-c-allosaurus-tumak-set-32cm-12-inch-series-star-ace-toys

Right now it's 250.00 plus 15.00 for shipping.  Payment plan option is available but general preorders are charged up front if I'm reading that right.

BBTS  is 260.00 with 4.00 shipping bit they wont charge you until it ships.

260.00 Amoktime https://www.amoktime.com/star-ace-one-million-years-b-c-allosaurus-tumak-soft-vinyl-figure-set.html?mc_cid=f619710292&mc_eid=16be0cc2f4

looks like thats about the average price then, BBTS charges sales tax too, not sure about the others.

CityRaptor

Well, that is out of my price range.
*opens wallet and Mothra flies out*
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

For a vinyl figure that size especially with no articulation there really is no reason it should be that expensive, no matter how good the quality control or how detailed the painting. How much of the charge must be licensing fees on these? Surely it can't be just an increase due to limited run to be 4-6x what other similar sized single piece vinyl figures go for.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.