News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Vitae Chilantaisaurus custom base

Started by Halzk, August 22, 2020, 11:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halzk

This custom base is made of natural clay and rocks found in my backyard. It was, at first, an experiment but it turned out quite well in my opinion. It's not yet finished, I have to paint it and add decorations like plastic fern and moss. What do you guys think? Any criticism or helpful tips are welcome ^-^.

SidB

It is a handsome sculpt for sure and definitely a worthy candidate for a base. Mine has the usual theropod standing issue, so i'd have to ask, how does yours do on the base. I'd be tempted to insert a small metal rod in the base and carefully drill out a hole in the front foot in which to insert it for stability, but allowing for easy removal when needed.

Shonisaurus

I honestly really like custom base. I understand that all prehistoric animals, even if they are toys, should have a custom resin or plastic base and fixed or removable. Give more category to this figure.

Justin_

Have you made anything else with the natural clay before? Does it crack when it dries or do you add anything to it to help bond it?

Halzk

Quote from: SidB on August 23, 2020, 03:04:10 AM
It is a handsome sculpt for sure and definitely a worthy candidate for a base. Mine has the usual theropod standing issue, so i'd have to ask, how does yours do on the base. I'd be tempted to insert a small metal rod in the base and carefully drill out a hole in the front foot in which to insert it for stability, but allowing for easy removal when needed.
S @SidB It's doing way better than without it for sure, just don't breath on it to hard tho x)

Quote from: Justin_ on August 23, 2020, 12:11:48 PM
Have you made anything else with the natural clay before? Does it crack when it dries or do you add anything to it to help bond it?
avatar_Justin_ @Justin_ Not me but my mother works with it, so I know a bit how to work with it. No I do not add anything, you just have to make sure your clay dries evenly, in a temperate environnement and there shouldn't have any cracks.

Collagraphy

Theropods look so good in blue, and the pose is just amazing!
I approve of this legendary post.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.