News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Justin's sketches and sculpts

Started by Justin_, August 08, 2020, 03:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin_

These are the first finished figurative drawings on paper I've done for over a decade, despite illustration and graphics being one of my jobs. At the moment I'm more interested in learning techniques for pen & ink drawing, which is something I've never done much of before, rather than depicting specific species.

First up, something early, like a Herrerasaurus:

The original pencil drawing was in a lined notepad, but I inked it on tracing paper and coloured the scan.

Secondly, some kind of Allorsauroid:

I didn't make my life easy with this odd perspective, which hasn't quite worked!

Totoro

These are awesome avatar_Justin_ @Justin_!  I like the sense of motion you've captured in both.  I'll be on the lookout for more! 
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

indohyus

Does look rather impressive. Well done.

Shonisaurus

Very well done your herrerasaurus although I like your second drawing of the allosaurus much more. Nice illustrations, I would like to draw like you and I tell you sincerely since in my case I am a disaster for drawing.

Newt

That vegetation is boss! I like your inking style.

Justin_

Thanks. I'm still working on finding what I feel is comfortably my inking style, or styles. I'm really interested in old-school commercial art techniques. On the one hand I'm trying to develop a loose, sketchy look but I'm also learning more intricate methods like careful stippling and hatching.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Tyto_Theropod

Agree, you have a marvellous technique.  It reminds me of printed pen-and-ink images from about a hundred years ago - a style I've always been fond of.  As someone who uses pen and ink a lot myself, I'm interested in how you got the different colours on the Allosaur.  Was that in the computer or with special ink?  If the latter, I'd be very interested to know what kind you use to get this effect.  Anyway, I love the texture you've done on the Allosaur, but the Herrerasaur is my favourite - it's simple but effective.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

alishasykes

Really Nice Work. You have some good instincts!

Justin_

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on August 31, 2020, 10:04:04 PM
I'm interested in how you got the different colours on the Allosaur.  Was that in the computer or with special ink?

The Allosaur was drawn in black ink and the background drawn in grey to make it easier to separate the two in the scan, so the colour was done digitally. I'm always a bit indecisive about colour so I do it this way.

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on August 31, 2020, 10:04:04 PM
...........It reminds me of printed pen-and-ink images from about a hundred years ago

I collect a lot of books like this for inspiration, plus originals or reprints of old "how to draw" books. For example Rendering In Pen & Ink by Arthur Guptill is from the 1920s or '30s but is still in print. I'm currently trying to use up all the single-use pens I've collected over the years and just use refillable ones or dip pens, so I doodle pages and pages of tones and textures from the tutorials in these.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.