News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What are the hardest to find figures that are no longer in production?

Started by Faelrin, February 28, 2020, 06:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 21, 2020, 04:26:48 AM
Quote from: sauroid on April 21, 2020, 02:23:29 AM
are all the old Bullyland prehistoric figures considered hard to find now?
I don't think so. They still regularly show up on eBay here in Germany.  The Edaphosaurus seems to be the rarest,  seconded by Arizonasaurus or Batrachotomus . But I would not describe them as holy grails anyway.
thanks.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

Here's one that I've been searching for over five years for without success - the follow-up to Battat's original green Ceratosaurus from the 1990's. No, I'm not referring to the 2014 repaint, but another actual version of the green original, which held its tail out horizontally behind it. Since that version had the predictable stability issues associated with Battat's theropods, they re-issued it late in the 1990s (probably after 1998) with the turned down tail tip identical to that of the 2014 repaint. It is identical to the 2014, BUT is still in the green 1990's color scheme.

I've been scouring eBay for this one for a long time, but to no avail. Even Dan Lorusso was unaware that the factory had made this alteration to his sculpt back in the day, but if you check out B @Bokisaurus' collection pages for the Battats, it's there.

Ikessauro

Quote from: SidB on May 07, 2020, 03:49:08 AM
Here's one that I've been searching for over five years for without success - the follow-up to Battat's original green Ceratosaurus from the 1990's. No, I'm not referring to the 2014 repaint, but another actual version of the green original, which held its tail out horizontally behind it. Since that version had the predictable stability issues associated with Battat's theropods, they re-issued it late in the 1990s (probably after 1998) with the turned down tail tip identical to that of the 2014 repaint. It is identical to the 2014, BUT is still in the green 1990's color scheme.

I've been scouring eBay for this one for a long time, but to no avail. Even Dan Lorusso was unaware that the factory had made this alteration to his sculpt back in the day, but if you check out B @Bokisaurus' collection pages for the Battats, it's there.

You mean this one? I didn't know it was that hard to find nowadays. But again, I'm still on the hunt for the version 2 of the T.rex and Dilophosaurus, for quite a few years now. I guess some Battats are still uncommon.

SidB

Quote from: Ikessauro on May 07, 2020, 04:07:01 AM
Quote from: SidB on May 07, 2020, 03:49:08 AM

You mean this one? I didn't know it was that hard to find nowadays. But again, I'm still on the hunt for the version 2 of the T.rex and Dilophosaurus, for quite a few years now. I guess some Battats are still uncommon.

Thanks for the quick response, but, no. The the one in your picture is the type that I have and that always shows up on eBay. For sure, it's pretty common. The one that I am after is exactly the same color, BUT the tail is turned down so as to touch the ground, like in the 2014 repaint.

Shonisaurus

The first two versions of Battat's tyrannosaurus rex are very difficult to find and, as DTF members say, the second version of Battat's tyrannosaurus rex called "snow feet".

Also it was very difficult for me to find the first and second versions of Battat's dilophosaurus, thanks to an American salesman who was a very good person, he found me many Battat figures. I will always remember him fondly and if I ever need to buy a rare dinosaur or prehistoric animal figure from the US I will not hesitate to contact him. I am totally grateful to you. A good guy.

Ikessauro

Quote from: SidB on May 07, 2020, 12:35:40 PM
Thanks for the quick response, but, no. The the one in your picture is the type that I have and that always shows up on eBay. For sure, it's pretty common. The one that I am after is exactly the same color, BUT the tail is turned down so as to touch the ground, like in the 2014 repaint.

Oh, this one then? I ask because I am a completist and I hunt models to complete my sets. I wanna make sure I have all variants of the Cerato. If
these two are the only versions of the green cerato, I'm good.  :)) I'll let you  know if I see this one for sale since I already have one.

SidB

Quote from: Ikessauro on May 09, 2020, 03:16:57 AM

Oh, this one then? I ask because I am a completist and I hunt models to complete my sets. I wanna make sure I have all variants of the Cerato. If
these two are the only versions of the green cerato, I'm good.  :)) I'll let you  know if I see this one for sale since I already have one.

Yes, that's exactly the one. I've never heard of any other variants of the original Battat Ceratosaurus other than these two. I used to think that the above variant #2 was common, but apparently not. I've never seen it on eBay and even Dan was unaware of its existence. Thanks for taking the trouble to inquire about this. If you ever come across another version #2, I'd certainly be interested.

Libraraptor

Keep repeating myself, but "Dawn of the dinosaurs" figures and figures from the Dinosaur Land in White Post . And Invicta Lambeosaurus of course.

Papi-Anon

Hard to find because they're already rotting due to being made from foam and latex, but the rubber-skinned foam-plush dinosaurs sold at the old Discovery Channel Stores around 2000 or so were a grail of mine (the allosaurus in particular). If I could find an allosaurus that isn't essentially a corpse of a toy I would pay virtually anything to nab it.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

SidB

Quote from: SidB on May 09, 2020, 03:31:34 AM
Quote from: Ikessauro on May 09, 2020, 03:16:57 AM

Yes, that's exactly the one. I've never heard of any other variants of the original Battat Ceratosaurus other than these two. I used to think that the above variant #2 was common, but apparently not. I've never seen it on eBay and even Dan was unaware of its existence. Thanks for taking the trouble to inquire about this. If you ever come across another version #2, I'd certainly be interested.
For the the first time in several years, as far as I know, two of these recently came available on eBay, from the same seller, who only shipped to the USA. A friend there made the purchase for me and is shipping them up to Canada. Price was $42 USD. I can live with that.

Papi-Anon

Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Crackington

The Airfix Pteranodon kit is very difficult to find and always goes for a lot of money. I think part of the problem is that it's not just dino fans looking for it, but the vast army of Airfix enthusiasts interested in the more unusual kits

It did get re-issued as part of a trio set in the early 2000s, but this is seldom available too these days.

indohyus

Think it goes without saying, but Battat Diplodocus. Rare and expensive. Plus the last two lines of Dino Riders.

SidB

I must mention the ultra rare Battat mini T-rex. Ultra pricey too.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.