News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Impact of the Coronavirus and Self-Isolation

Started by suspsy, March 03, 2020, 11:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Everything Dinosaur saw fit to release a lengthy statement today regarding the impact of the coronavirus on their business. Among other things, it is crucial to know that you can't get infected by a package sent from China.

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2020/03/02/covid-19-coronavirus-information.html

I know that CollectA is also experiencing production problems directly as a result of the outbreak across China. Between that and the civil unrest in Hong Kong where they are based, it's been a rough year for them.  :(

Ultimately, of course, dinosaur toys are utterly irrelevant compared to human health. All we can do is use common sense, constantly wash our hands, avoid freaking out, and hope for the best.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Honestly it is simply a flu from my honest opinion that has no cure because no vaccine has been discovered and therefore it is very virulent but from my point of view worrying about avoiding the infection of the coronavirus is putting as a wall says to the field or "doors to the field" can be contracted in any way that rare pathology but I think we are all overflowing the issue due to concern. In my case I will continue shopping in China, USA, Australia, Japan or Europe without fear of the coronavirus.

Prevention measures must be taken but honestly I understand that the coronavirus can be spread even in your own nation. It is inevitable that type of flu without vaccine and cure with antibiotics, but I think we are overflowing the matter.

In my case I will continue shopping and if I have coronavirus, what are we going to do!

Duna

Hand wash is one of the best preventive of most diseases. Here at hospital (I work at the ICU) we are taking a lot of preventive measures (same as pandemic influenza but a bit higher because of unknowledge) but I just act normal when I go out. No need to worry.

Georassic

I'm about to order a figure direct from China via AliExpress. I may spray disinfectant on the packaging when it arrives, but I'm otherwise acting normal, like Duna said.

suspsy

Quote from: Georassic on March 03, 2020, 08:22:54 PM
I'm about to order a figure direct from China via AliExpress. I may spray disinfectant on the packaging when it arrives, but I'm otherwise acting normal, like Duna said.

Unless your item is going to arrive overnight, there's no need to disinfect it. The virus can't last several days on the surface of a toy or a package.

Dinoxels

I was going to order some new Safari Ltd. figures, but I am going to hold off from ordering locally for a while. I do agree with Shonisaurus though.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Georassic

Quote from: suspsy on March 03, 2020, 08:25:24 PM

Unless your item is going to arrive overnight, there's no need to disinfect it. The virus can't last several days on the surface of a toy or a package.
Great point! I feel even safer now.  :))

Stegotyranno420

This is so relatable. I won the mojo giveaway, and it got delayed twice and soon i have to move to another country, and i cant wait because im realyy looking forward to my my first reviews but this coronavirus is making things bad for all

Libraraptor

No need to panic as to the personal risk of an infection. And even if one has the virus, it is not deadly in most of the cases.
This is a hysteria I can´t understand.
Our retailer shelves are empty, we had to look for a normal package of toilet paper yesterday in five different shops until we found one. This is ridiculous as hell. Highly overrated panic.

Keep calm and collect dinosaur toys.

Edit: I added to the sentence "in most of the cases not deadly. "

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 04, 2020, 06:32:20 AM
And even if one has the virus, it is not deadly.

Tell that to the over 3000 people who died already.

Seasonal flu has a death rate of 0.1% and kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year. Right now, the death rate of COVID 19 is estimated to be 3.4%. For comparison: The 1918 influenza pandemic had a mortality rate of about 2.5% and killed between 40 and 50 million people. Of course I don´t think it`s going to be nearly as bad as that, but not taking the potential severity of the situation seriously would be unwise.

Even if it´s only a real concern for people with poor health, maybe people don´t want to unknowingly endanger older or sick relatives by being the carrier? Empty shelves and longer waiting times are obviously inconvenient, but maybe we should try to be a little more empathetic.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: PumperKrickel on March 04, 2020, 09:52:52 AM
And even if one has the virus, it is not deadly.

Tell that to the over 3000 people who died already.

Seasonal flu has a death rate of 0.1% and kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year. Right now, the death rate of COVID 19 is estimated to be 3.4%. For comparison: The 1918 influenza pandemic had a mortality rate of about 2.5% and killed between 40 and 50 million people. Of course I don´t think it`s going to be nearly as bad as that, but not taking the potential severity of the situation seriously would be unwise.

Even if it´s only a real concern for people with poor health, maybe people don´t want to unknowingly endanger older or sick relatives by being the carrier? Empty shelves and longer waiting times are obviously inconvenient, but maybe we should try to be a little more empathetic.

The problem of the coronavirus must be serious when in my church the priest has asked us not to shake hands and try to touch each other as little as possible.

In my work that is attention to the public they have told us that we must take turns when it comes to the counter to prevent the coronavirus and they have given us a disinfectant liquid so that we wash our hands on the counter and gloves. In fact there is already a 4-year-old girl who has tested positive for the coronavirus in my city. The thing seems serious, I hope you're wrong.

Killekor

Quote from: Georassic on March 03, 2020, 10:58:00 PM

avatar_suspsy @suspsy avatar_Georassic @Georassic
I've read in various places on the internet that the coronavirus can survive up to 9 days on objects (and 17 on clothes), so I would disinfect the package if you order one.
Furthermore, if a package from China arrives to someone in for ex. 15 days that doesn't mean that it could not be infected. If someone that works in the Mail field (a postman for ex.) is infected by the virus and it touch a package the day before its delivery it's clear that the package could be infected anyways.
So during this period I wouldn't buy anything from the internet, especially from China.

Honestly I'm really preoccupied by the situation which could become really really bad.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

suspsy

Well, the official word from the World Health Organization is that it is safe to receive packages from China, so unless that changes, I'm going to heed their word.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Killekor on March 04, 2020, 08:17:18 PM

I've read in various places on the internet that the coronavirus can survive up to 9 days on objects (and 17 on clothes), so I would disinfect the package if you order one.
Furthermore, if a package from China arrives to someone in for ex. 15 days that doesn't mean that it could not be infected. If someone that works in the Mail field (a postman for ex.) is infected by the virus and it touch a package the day before its delivery it's clear that the package could be infected anyways.
So during this period I wouldn't buy anything from the internet, especially from China.

Honestly I'm really preoccupied by the situation which could become really really bad.

Killekor
Please don't spread false information about serious topics like this. I have questioned many times in the past about the intentions of your many actions on this site, but usually never got involved because they were so unclear.

But this is a situation where intentions do not matter. You do not spread false information about serious medical threats. Full stop. I do not recommend allowing false statements like this to remain up on the forum as we should not be spreading false rumors about serious concerns like this.

Additionally, though the actions of the Chinese government certainly warrant criticism, singling out China as a source of risk is not only ineffective and illogical but borders on active racism. You can not receive Covid 19 from a package arriving from China unless it arrives within 24 hours, and even then the odds are incredibly unlikely.

No need to panic as to the personal risk of an infection. And even if one has the virus, it is not deadly.
This is a hysteria I can´t understand.
Our retailer shelves are empty, we had to look for a normal package of toilet paper yesterday in five different shops until we found one. This is ridiculous as hell. Highly overrated panic.

Keep calm and collect dinosaur toys.
Though death rates seem to be still indeterminate (and 3.4% is a rather high estimate), this is not a time to be complacent. While deaths of healthy individuals are rare, certainly much rarer than Mers or Sars infections, Covid 19 has killed a lot more people and in a much shorter period of time because it spreads extremely aggressively.

Wash. Your. Hands.

You should disinfect any items or packages that you buy, whether locally or online. Just because Covid 19 won't survive the trip to you from China doesn't mean a package won't have an infection from a local postage handler or shelf stocker. The virus is asymptomatic, people have no way of knowing that they are transmitting it.

Covid 19 can not survive for more than a few hours without a host. It was not started by Chinese people eating raw bats. And it is incredibly dangerous.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Killekor on March 04, 2020, 08:17:18 PM

Killekor

As far as I've read, any figures higher than 24 hours are only in specific conditions, like close to freezing cold temperatures. I think if you want to be really cautious, and live in a region where it has been cold consistently during the shipping time, just let the package sit in your house at room temperature for a day or so and it should eliminate any chance of transmitting a virus in the event the package is contaminated. As temperatures start to warm up in the northern hemisphere this should become a non-issue.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Duna

Are you guys really seriously talking about disinfecting packages? REALLY?  ::) ::) You are not going to lick the package, just wash your hands. As we should when we have been in the metro, the bus, the supermarket o just got home.
Coronavirus can resist several days, that's true. In our ICU we have been advised about that. But it cannot resist any hand wash. Even done with simple normal soap. Be calm and hand wash. ;)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Duna on March 05, 2020, 05:47:56 PM
Are you guys really seriously talking about disinfecting packages? REALLY?  ::) ::) You are not going to lick the package, just wash your hands. As we should when we have been in the metro, the bus, the supermarket o just got home.
Coronavirus can resist several days, that's true. In our ICU we have been advised about that. But it cannot resist any hand wash. Even done with simple normal soap. Be calm and hand wash. ;)
Disinfecting packages as in using hand wipes. It sounds like a bit much in phrasing, but you can't exactly wash cardboard with soap and water.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 05, 2020, 08:06:33 PM
Quote from: Duna on March 05, 2020, 05:47:56 PM
Disinfecting packages as in using hand wipes. It sounds like a bit much in phrasing, but you can't exactly wash cardboard with soap and water.

It is best to wait. As I learned the coronavirus vaccine will not be available for another year or two years, so we will have to wait.

People who suffer from cardiac pathologies, pathological diseases (cancer, diabetes, asthma, respiratory problems) should refrain from contagion is a very strong virus and as advice it is better for one to take a forced vacation in not buying new figures until they are not I got a vaccine. It is not because they are alarmists but they comment on my nation's news pages that they are serious.

Killekor

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 04, 2020, 09:32:48 PM
Please don't spread false information about serious topics like this. I have questioned many times in the past about the intentions of your many actions on this site, but usually never got involved because they were so unclear.

But this is a situation where intentions do not matter. You do not spread false information about serious medical threats. Full stop. I do not recommend allowing false statements like this to remain up on the forum as we should not be spreading false rumors about serious concerns like this.

Additionally, though the actions of the Chinese government certainly warrant criticism, singling out China as a source of risk is not only ineffective and illogical but borders on active racism. You can not receive Covid 19 from a package arriving from China unless it arrives within 24 hours, and even then the odds are incredibly unlikely.

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek

Hi. I am the older sister of Killekor, and I am taking part in the forum because I am honestly surprised by the tones of your answer.
I remind you that you are talking to a 15 year old boy, and your aggressive attitude towards my brother is definitely out of place. Especially considering that you are an adult and he still isn't.

Let me take upon myself the task of calm you down about the spread of "fake news", "active racism" or the "intentions of his many actions" of my brother.

About the "fake news":
I don't know from exactly which authority you can say are "fake news". My brother, even if is very young, take very seriously the task to inform his self in depth about all the topics that generate his interest; and it is not limited, as do many, to incorporate only what the news or the media or (worse) the social says. This is not an exception. He didn't just read various articles (scientific and non-scientific, but always from reputable sources), but also we have a biologist and medical professionist in our family with which my brother has repeatedly spoken about this theme. I work very much and I have no time to recover all the authoritative sources on the subject, but I'm sure you can find a lot of material by yourself with the necessary research. I just send you this link the link that I currently have at hand that is a study made and published by the English Healthcare Infection Society that confirm the possibility of "9 days" of persistence on surfaces: https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/abstract
Please enjoy yourself with other researches about "coronavirus" topic.

About his "active racism":
I could just laugh.
My brother rightly does not share personal details on the forum, so clearly you cannot know that his own father is Chinese which is currently living in Shanghai. So you can only imagine how much racism against the Chinese he can have (none since he himself is half Chinese), or how likely it is that he is the one who has prejudices or bad information about China.
The genuine opinion of my brother right now is that, if it is not necessary, it is more prudent not to buy products on the internet that require international shipping, especially from the areas most affected by the virus, because, in his opinion, it is undeniable that globalization and international trade exponentially increase the spread of viruses in all areas of the world. For this reason his personal choice is not to buy unless necessary at this moment.
This is his opinion, after having been well informed (included, don't worry, what the WHO says, the newspapers, and the government etc ...) and after having considered it again. It is perhaps questionable, but it certainly is not the result of prejudices, racism, alarmism or fake news.

About the "intentions of his many actions":
I really don't understand what can you ever think about it, but whatever it is, I can assure you that time is wasted.Let me clarify my brother's intentions on this forum: to genuinely share his passion for dinosaurs with other people who have the same interests.
And let me tell you that he is also the most polite boy I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I am not saying this because he is my brother. He is certainly still a young boy, full of enthusiasm, who speaks here in a language that is not his own, and who was little more than a child when he started writing in the forum. Maybe these factors may have contributed to misunderstanding its tone on some occasions. But he is always kind, generous and curious, has never a double purpose, is never mean, and does not deserve the kind of words you have addressed to him.

I think I have answered everything. I hope I will no longer have to intervene and let you talk about the topics suitable for this forum that are certainly more interesting both for you and for him.
Have fun everyone in the world of dinosaurs
Killekor's sister
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

stargatedalek

Quote from: Killekor on March 05, 2020, 11:31:18 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 04, 2020, 09:32:48 PM

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek

Hi. I am the older sister of Killekor, and I am taking part in the forum because I am honestly surprised by the tones of your answer.
I remind you that you are talking to a 15 year old boy, and your aggressive attitude towards my brother is definitely out of place. Especially considering that you are an adult and he still isn't.

Let me take upon myself the task of calm you down about the spread of "fake news", "active racism" or the "intentions of his many actions" of my brother.

About the "fake news":
I don't know from exactly which authority you can say are "fake news". My brother, even if is very young, take very seriously the task to inform his self in depth about all the topics that generate his interest; and it is not limited, as do many, to incorporate only what the news or the media or (worse) the social says. This is not an exception. He didn't just read various articles (scientific and non-scientific, but always from reputable sources), but also we have a biologist and medical professionist in our family with which my brother has repeatedly spoken about this theme. I work very much and I have no time to recover all the authoritative sources on the subject, but I'm sure you can find a lot of material by yourself with the necessary research. I just send you this link the link that I currently have at hand that is a study made and published by the English Healthcare Infection Society that confirm the possibility of "9 days" of persistence on surfaces: https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/abstract
Please enjoy yourself with other researches about "coronavirus" topic.

About his "active racism":
I could just laugh.
My brother rightly does not share personal details on the forum, so clearly you cannot know that his own father is Chinese which is currently living in Shanghai. So you can only imagine how much racism against the Chinese he can have (none since he himself is half Chinese), or how likely it is that he is the one who has prejudices or bad information about China.
The genuine opinion of my brother right now is that, if it is not necessary, it is more prudent not to buy products on the internet that require international shipping, especially from the areas most affected by the virus, because, in his opinion, it is undeniable that globalization and international trade exponentially increase the spread of viruses in all areas of the world. For this reason his personal choice is not to buy unless necessary at this moment.
This is his opinion, after having been well informed (included, don't worry, what the WHO says, the newspapers, and the government etc ...) and after having considered it again. It is perhaps questionable, but it certainly is not the result of prejudices, racism, alarmism or fake news.

About the "intentions of his many actions":
I really don't understand what can you ever think about it, but whatever it is, I can assure you that time is wasted.Let me clarify my brother's intentions on this forum: to genuinely share his passion for dinosaurs with other people who have the same interests.
And let me tell you that he is also the most polite boy I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I am not saying this because he is my brother. He is certainly still a young boy, full of enthusiasm, who speaks here in a language that is not his own, and who was little more than a child when he started writing in the forum. Maybe these factors may have contributed to misunderstanding its tone on some occasions. But he is always kind, generous and curious, has never a double purpose, is never mean, and does not deserve the kind of words you have addressed to him.

I think I have answered everything. I hope I will no longer have to intervene and let you talk about the topics suitable for this forum that are certainly more interesting both for you and for him.
Have fun everyone in the world of dinosaurs
Killekor's sister
Same grammar, same writing style. I never said the words "fake news" so I don't understand where you're getting that from but it's setting off warning flags over here to say the least.

That is not an article about the current coronavirus (Covid-19), it's about Sars. It's a different thing.

You don't need to BE racist to say racist things. I would know, I spent the better part of my teen years regurgitating jokes I was uncomfortable with and that no one ever should make, thinking it would make me popular (or perhaps more accurately, make me blend in). Regurgitating stuff from "other parts of the internet", regardless of intent, is spreading false information and in turn glorifying the people spreading that information. Most of these sources are coming from alt-right handles, Fox and Friends, etc., and have heavily racist overtones.

When I say I have "questioned" the intentions of the Killekor account (be it one person or multiple, now or ever), I question that actions were not being done with the intent of annoying people. I still question this, intently so even.

I don't care how old someone is, they don't get to spread false information without being called out on it. That's dangerous behavior and it needs to be ended.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.