News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Impact of the Coronavirus and Self-Isolation

Started by suspsy, March 03, 2020, 11:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 05, 2020, 08:40:38 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 05, 2020, 08:06:33 PM
Quote from: Duna on March 05, 2020, 05:47:56 PM
Are you guys really seriously talking about disinfecting packages? REALLY?  ::) ::) You are not going to lick the package, just wash your hands. As we should when we have been in the metro, the bus, the supermarket o just got home.
Coronavirus can resist several days, that's true. In our ICU we have been advised about that. But it cannot resist any hand wash. Even done with simple normal soap. Be calm and hand wash. ;)
Disinfecting packages as in using hand wipes. It sounds like a bit much in phrasing, but you can't exactly wash cardboard with soap and water.

It is best to wait. As I learned the coronavirus vaccine will not be available for another year or two years, so we will have to wait.

People who suffer from cardiac pathologies, pathological diseases (cancer, diabetes, asthma, respiratory problems) should refrain from contagion is a very strong virus and as advice it is better for one to take a forced vacation in not buying new figures until they are not I got a vaccine. It is not because they are alarmists but they comment on my nation's news pages that they are serious.

My bet is on Inovio as they are leading the race aside from Gilead. Bets as in I just dumped 4k worth of shares on Inovio and and $500 on gilead. Tendies are cooking, next week will be red again but I have faith that the share prices will go up more by April and later by Fall.

But yea vaccine won't be a thing till late this year or early next year. Big Medical Companies are trying to bank on this now that it's grown and is potentially a very profitable and seasonal occurrence. Fingers crossed I might do options for them tomorrow though.

Edit: Inovio stock went up tendies are cooking. Waiting it out till April for their trials to show up.

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 06, 2020, 01:37:18 AM
That is not an article about the current coronavirus (Covid-19), it's about Sars. It's a different thing.

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek The article is about the current virus. The strain of the virus goes by the full name Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The article was published online Feb 6, 2020 and is in the March issue of the linked journal, the title is "Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents." First line of the introduction "A novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) has recently emerged from China with a total of 45171 confirmed cases of pneumonia (as of February 12, 2020)".  So unless I am missing something avatar_Killekor @Killekor was correct.

Personally I didn't find anything wrong with his comments, this whole thread is about conjecture and opinions. To each their own.

SidB

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 06, 2020, 03:30:17 PM
That is not an article about the current coronavirus (Covid-19), it's about Sars. It's a different thing.

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek The article is about the current virus. The strain of the virus goes by the full name Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The article is dated March 2020 and the title is "Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents." First line of the introduction "A novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) has recently emerged from China with a total of 45171 confirmed cases of pneumonia (as of February 12, 2020)".  So unless I am missing something avatar_Killekor @Killekor was correct.

Personally I didn't find anything wrong with his comments, this whole thread is about conjecture and opinions. To each their own.
Killekor has made big strides in maturity and balance, and I for one appreciate his efforts in this respect. After all, this is a 15 year old guy and clearly not a racist nor does he necessarily harbor dark, hidden agendas. I can appreciate the risks of inflamatory polemic and so, yes, there's definitely space for correction in thought, speech  and the proper use of judgement in self-expression. Sure, he went too far in exaggerating the risk, giving into irrational fear, but, after all, he's 15 years old. IMO, a gentle rebuke, accompanied by encouragement to raise the bar, that is in a loving, caring manner was called for, not a stinging rebuke and not- so -veiled  accusations of racism and having hidden agendas.

Thank you,  Doug, for your patience, wisdom and compassion. It sure trumps judgementalism coming in under the guise of serving the common good. Harshness quickly transitions into cruelty and bullying. Everybody needs a champion and we ought to always strive to be a community that educates and not alienates, even those with whom we disagree, however vehemently.

stargatedalek

Quote from: SidB on March 06, 2020, 04:10:03 PM
Killekor has made big strides in maturity and balance, and I for one appreciate his efforts in this respect. After all, this is a 15 year old guy and clearly not a racist nor does he necessarily harbor dark, hidden agendas. I can appreciate the risks of inflamatory polemic and so, yes, there's definitely space for correction in thought, speech  and the proper use of judgement in self-expression. Sure, he went too far in exaggerating the risk, giving into irrational fear, but, after all, he's 15 years old. IMO, a gentle rebuke, accompanied by encouragement to raise the bar, that is in a loving, caring manner was called for, not a stinging rebuke and not- so -veiled  accusations of racism and having hidden agendas.

Thank you,  Doug, for your patience, wisdom and compassion. It sure trumps judgementalism coming in under the guise of serving the common good. Harshness quickly transitions into cruelty and bullying. Everybody needs a champion and we ought to always strive to be a community that educates and not alienates, even those with whom we disagree, however vehemently.
I didn't/don't think he was/is racist, I think his sources were. He sounded exactly like the alt-right news anchors have been (right down to screaming fake news) so I assume he's parroting back what he hears/reads from them. Especially given the "other parts of the internet" bit, that phrasing makes me think his sources might be less than reputable. I know how bad things can get as a young person when you get involved with forces like that, the real damage that alt-right media can do psychologically, so I try to steer people away whenever I get the chance.

While I don't deny my tone was judgemental, that was in attempt to make clear how serious this situation really is (both the virus and my assumption as to the nature of where he was getting that information). I tend to have an overtly formal presentation to my writing, I'm one of those weirdos who uses periods and commas in text messages, so I can see now how any attempt on my part to present as stern or such could come across as aggressive or at least as generally unsympathetic.

I was also using that as much if not more as a jumping off point to try and steer people away from certain assumptions, like the false rumors surrounding bats, as I was actually responding to Killekor himself.

I was probably also being harsh because I've always thought the Killekor account was a troll, going back years, and as I recall he was even banned for it at one point. I've never interacted with him before, I've always tried to ignore him and move on, and that could definitely have influenced my assumptions and response.

I'd never heard anything before all of this about him being 15.

If Killekor you are a troll than at this point I am indeed the sucker because I fell for the bait, so, congrats, I guess, and if not, I admit my previous assumptions heavily influenced my response and I was acting rash and paranoid, and I'm sorry if you felt like I was trying to belittle or insult you instead of teach you.

And apologies to everyone else for causing all of this drama, I should have reported that first post and moved on, or been more careful in my responding.

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 06, 2020, 03:30:17 PM

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek The article is about the current virus. The strain of the virus goes by the full name Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The article was published online Feb 6, 2020 and is in the March issue of the linked journal, the title is "Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents." First line of the introduction "A novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) has recently emerged from China with a total of 45171 confirmed cases of pneumonia (as of February 12, 2020)".  So unless I am missing something avatar_Killekor @Killekor was correct.

Good catch, I actually didn't think to check the date and only skimmed the paragraph itself, which mentions those dates are derived from the previous Sars virus.

And even then this passage from the CDC recommendations for avoiding infection contradicts those findings (albeit informally). Saying that no one has ever been infected from a delivery package, and that the virus can't survive multiple days in shipping. WHO further specifies on their site that moving an inanimate object will kill it extremely quickly. This change of conditions ensures that no shipped package or goods can realistically contain the virus from their source destination.

"We therefore reviewed the literature on all available information about the persistence of human and veterinary coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces as well as inactivation strategies with biocidal agents used for chemical disinfection, e.g. in healthcare facilities. The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html
"There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged COVID-19 and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV). The virus that causes COVID-19 is more genetically related to SARS-CoV than MERS-CoV, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don't know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, we can use the information gained from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

Faelrin

Yeah so there's been several reported or presumed to be, cases in my state, and some relatively close to where I live. I rarely get out as it so I'm not extremely worried for myself, but I am for both of my parents that have a slew of health problems.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Killekor

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek
First of all thanks for your apologies! I'm not a troll, and I'm sorry if I gave this impression. I'm happy that the situation has been clarified, and I hope that from now we'll not have problems anymore.

Thank you very much avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson and S @SidB for your posts! I'm glad for your support!
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Crackington

Just thought members might like to see interesting article on how washing hands with soap works in helping to neutralise viruses, scientifically:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/science-soap-kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

Keep washing those hands and stay safe everyone  :)

Shonisaurus

A friend and close friend have told me that the coronavirus is fought by drinking hot drinks (broths, soups) and you should avoid drinking cold and iced drinks.

The coronavirus is more neutralized by heat. High temperatures are essential to combat the coronavirus.

Crackington

I've been reading up on the virus a bit as my wife and daughter both fall under vulnerable groups as they both have asthma. I'm afraid that the advice on drinking hot/cold water that is doing the rounds doesn't appear to be based is on the scientific evidence, please see this link from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51735367

The key things are to wash hands with soap,  consider  social distancing from other people when you can (a meter apart) and self isolate if you get any symptoms.

Take care everyone.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 13, 2020, 11:52:45 AM
A friend and close friend have told me that the coronavirus is fought by drinking hot drinks (broths, soups) and you should avoid drinking cold and iced drinks.

The coronavirus is more neutralized by heat. High temperatures are essential to combat the coronavirus.

Not true, unfortunately. Heat OUTSIDE the body (like summer temperatures) will slow the spread because it cannot survive on surfaces if it is warm out. But trying to regulate your internal body temperature with hot food or drink won't work, unless you give yourself a fever.

Once the virus is in your body, it's inside your cells. So it's up to your immune system to fight it.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

The WHO and other medical experts have stated that there is no evidence that COVID-19 will magically go away once spring arrives and temperatures rise. Don't let yourself be fooled.

https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-covid-19-go-away-on-its-own-in-warmer-weather/
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

For my part, I stopped buying figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals for a long time. I ordered a figure from Minizoo and another one I bought from Invicta Hunters and I have doubts that they will reach my home. A state of alarm has been decreed a few hours ago in my nation, Spain, since we have more than a hundred dead and we will only be able to access pharmacies and supermarkets. We are quarantined nationwide. The situation as regards my nation is apocalyptic metaphorically speaking.  :(  :'(

Ravonium

So, has anyone here had cases reported in their local area?

ITdactyl

Quote from: Ravonium on March 13, 2020, 04:00:57 PM

A 1 year old child, sadly.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Ravonium on March 13, 2020, 04:00:57 PM

In my province and city of Madrid we have 64 dead, 2.048 hospitalized, many in the ICU and in very serious condition. In total in my nation 123 deaths and more than 4.335 cases of hospitalized people. I am with my father locked in my home since the authorities have recommended and it is more with the state of alarm they will require that we do not leave the home more than to buy products in the pharmacy and the supermarket.

Crackington

I'm sorry to hear this Shonisaurus and hope that you and your father will be ok and have enough supplies to get through.

This is coming to the UK soon as they are expecting the number of cases to increase.  I live just outside London in Hertfordshire which actually had the most number of cases in the UK right now outside the capital. There are some arguments going on about whether the UK is being a bit slow to act as the schools are still open, although where I work in a university, we're expecting an announcement on closure very soon.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Crackington @Crackington To us the boss told us mid-morning to go home because the state of alarm had been declared, I suppose that customs will requisition, as is logical (and I agree with them), my two requests for a member of DTF and Minizoo and I don't know if I will receive them if the pandemic happens some day or these shipments will be lost.

The important thing is the life of people in Spain and in the world, especially those sick and elderly who are the most vulnerable. I have bought cleaning products and tomorrow I will go to buy food. My father is permanently at home since I have told him that he cannot go out. I wear a mask in my mouth and I put on gloves to prevent infection and I frequently wash my hands. With my father (for his sake) I keep a long distance. Hopefully this will happen soon but I am afraid that unfortunately things are going to get worse and the situation presents itself with a situation similar to that of Italy and God willing I am wrong.

I pray every day for the coronavirus sufferers in the world in my house for the living and the dead and especially for their families. It is a global drama and as the OMS has declared a global pandemic.

Thank you for your words and I hope that in Britain they take action on time and it does not happen to them as in my nation and Italy. You are still on time if your authorities take action. To all the members of the forum I recommend that you flee from the crowds of people, wash your hands frequently and do not touch your face at all. It reminds me of the Spanish flu of 1918, hopefully the mortality is not so much especially for those weaker people who have inherited the youngest people in this world. What has been said is as if a misfortune had struck down in the world.

suspsy

Schools in Ontario have been shut down until April 5, so I am going to be staying home with the wife and the baby until then. Museums have also been closed until the same date. My older son is not going to be happy.  :'(

On a slightly more positive note, if any of our guest reviewers wish to submit reviews, now's a good time to do it. I could use some activity!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Crackington

Thanks for your kind words in your response Shonisaurus, you're a good guy and my family and I are thinking of you and your father.

We're listening to your advice too, I think the UK government is dragging it's heels too much, but organisations and employers are ahead of them and limiting the need for travel and having meetings etc. The football has just been postponed for a while here too, so people will make their own minds up in protecting themselves and their families.

Stay safe.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Crackington @Crackington Thanks for your kind words!!!! You are also good people. Take good care of yourself and especially if you know elderly and sick people for their sake, do not visit them to prevent them from getting sick. This coronavirus is very treacherous and has not yet been cured and vaccinated and it is not a "strong flu" as many like me, even at first we commented it is a new disease.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.