News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Impact of the Coronavirus and Self-Isolation

Started by suspsy, March 03, 2020, 11:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

a worldwide 2nd/3rd wave is upon us, please take care everyone. :(
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

In a normal year, I would not be at home on my computer on a Halloween that coincided with the end of daylight savings and thus was an hour longer. Such a wasted opportunity, but of course cases and hospitalizations are spiking all over my region.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

And I won't have to stand on my front porch all evening with garden hose in hand, deterring little trespassers in silly outfits begging for sweets.

Halloween? Bah humbug!

Stegotyranno420

Man I wish I had my BB rifle this halloween so I can make sure those idiots aren't begging me for sweets during a pandemic

Lanthanotus

Halloween is comparably new to Germany but experienced a great boost in popularity during the last ten years. I myself neither do like or hate it, but my son likes it.

Last night we just made a walk through the forest with self made torches, but we had two pumpkins on the front porch and a bowl of candy for self service.
Prevents contact, but those goin around just wanting to have some fun looking for decorations and collecting sweets could do so without possibly harming others.

Shonisaurus

I have not seen any television since August 7, but I find out about the news of the coronavirus through the newspapers and I can assure you that in my nation I believe that they will return to mandatory confinement. On the other hand, the state of alarm has been extended for six months until May and the curfew in my city lasts at night until 6 in the morning.

The situation is quite ugly and unpleasant. I thank God that my poor father did not catch that coronavirus and that he was able to assist him in the hospital until the end. I consider myself a very fortunate person seeing the serious situation that we are suffering in Europe and America.

Duna

I'm so sorry avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I didn't know about your father. Hope you are well and I give you a huge hug and strenght.
I our country the situation is out of control and in our hospital we are preparing the extra ICUs, we have room and material for more COVID patients but no health workers. On Monday they will cancel half of the quirurgical theatres in order to use the staff working in them.

Yesterday the streets were totally full as in a summer evening.

MLMjp

Honestly I dont know what to think anymore. I fear about everything and I dont trust anyone.

All I know is that Spain is going down the toilet economically and the virus is spreading again, and that we are in the worst hands possible to handle this situation, and another confinement will hurt the economy even more. Even if we manage to defat the virus soon, I assure you the following years are going to be one hell of ride. And I won't say more cause I dont want to break the forum rule about getting political.

To sumarice, we are screwed. :)

Faelrin

Cases have been spiking here. Unfortunately a good portion of it has been at nursing homes. I would have thought more care would have been taken after what went on in the spring but apparently not. It's so tragic.

Having schools open again (in person) has also been contributing to community spread to the point some have had to shut down or go full digital. In fact, the school in my district just did so.

And of course there's still way too many people still not taking this seriously either not wearing a mask, or wearing one incorrectly such as under the nose.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Libraraptor

Quote from: sauroid on August 04, 2020, 02:59:24 PM
a worldwide 2nd/3rd wave is upon us, please take care everyone. :(

There we have the new wave.

German politics reacted with disproportionate measures such as completely closing gastronomy business, theaters and football stadiums again. And they stroke nearly each and every hobby for the kids such as football and gymwheel. In old peopleĀ“s homes, again many people will die alone. Anxiety has never been a good advisor, but it is what it is.

Stay healthy everyone!

Shonisaurus

In my case, I try to go out as little as possible, except for religious services or to buy food. In my house I do every day as long as I do not walk on the street for an hour or an hour and a half on an exercise bike and I am eating healthy things, whole wheat bread with oil, many vegetables, legumes, a lot of tomato among the vegetables, and a lot of blue fish and white, fruits of all kinds, nuts and white meat (chicken and rabbit) I avoid obesity and since my father passed away I try to eat as little as possible sweets, red meats and unhealthy or unhealthy foods, in short, I hardly do I try.

They sincerely say that eating healthy and exercising can prevent this coronavirus and apart from that it is an act of prevention against diseases of all types of cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes, cholesterol, stroke and cerebrovascular disease, by trying to prevent and take care of myself I do not lose anything , but in the case of other DTF members I recommend a healthy life to prevent not only the epidemic but also other diseases.

I understand that the situation of the coronavirus pandemic has overwhelmed the vast majority of governments in Europe and America and I think it is very difficult to stop it. According to my hairdresser who has gone through covid-19, he and his wife continue to have sequelae, they have lost their sense of smell and taste and have commented that their doctor has told them that some 19-year-old boys who have contracted this disease They have been left with sequelae and are recovering in a taka taka, and a friend of my father contracted the coronavirus and has been to death and now has to use a wheelchair and taka taka to go out. The thing is serious and people do not want to realize it. A co-worker / friend has fallen ill with the coronavirus, his partner, his brother and his father and has hit them hard. What was said is not a joke. Take care of yourself and take a prevention protocol to avoid getting bad. Is a friend's advice.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on November 01, 2020, 12:52:14 AM
And I won't have to stand on my front porch all evening with garden hose in hand, deterring little trespassers in silly outfits begging for sweets.

Halloween? Bah humbug!

Ha ha, an advantage of living in an apartment building is that nobody expects treats, and even if they did, what are they going to do, toilet paper the trees in the park across the street?

Anyway, I grew up without Halloween so I've really embraced it as an adult. I love the process of coming up with a costume, even if the ideas don't always come out as planned. I have a very creative group of friends and seeing their costumes at parties is also great fun.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Loon

Well, it looks like I'm going back to work. Schools aren't fully opening up, but I'm still going to have to be a round a lot of people, at least more than I've been. I'd frankly prefer if schools stayed closed, but I can't change what's happening unfortunately. Given some events yesterday involving a lot of pickup trucks and flags, I'm honestly shocked my county didn't open up sooner.

Newt

I work in retail, in an apparently "essential" big box home improvement store.  ::) 

The store didn't close at any point, but did reduce open hours - by one hour per day. Business did not slow down; in fact it spiked through the spring and summer, with many people with extra time on their hands choosing to use it on home projects. It's only now starting to go back to normal. I think our store's gross is up 30% over last year's, and some of the monthly comps were up much higher. Which is to say, the store has been crammed with people. We've made some effort to encourage social distancing - in the checkout lanes at least - and ask people to wear masks, but we can't enforce anything. Some people refuse to speak to someone more than whispering distance away (which was annoying enough when we weren't in mid-pandemic), and many refuse to wear masks as a political statement.

Frankly, I'm amazed I haven't been infected yet. I'm glad to be employed, and the company has been generous with hazard pay, but it's pretty stressful going into work each day knowing I'll have people breathing on me all day long.

Jose S.M.

In my country grocery, hardware and drugstores and stuff like that were never closed but anything else was, no clothing stores or bookstores were allowed to open and for a while all food business was just delivery.  And here it is mandatory to wear masks and stores can deny you entrance, even my little town grocery store is very strict with this.
The job I had at the beginning was never closed but reduced 50% of staff not fired completely but not paid either.  Now I'm in my small family business and here it never stopped in fact it has increased. We produced traditional deli meats and it never slowed down like I thought it would.

My job and my house now are next to each other in a private entrance a bit away from the street so we are pretty asolated from general public except for the providers and distributors and we do require masks to them or anyone coming from outside.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Well I just tested positive for corronavirus as did my parents who I live with. Just great. An awful headache that can be managed with paracetamol is my only symptom at the moment but my parents have it worse. Also annoyed I cant walk my dog.

What makes it especially annoying is that we took every precaution. I only left the house to walk dog and occasionally to send things to post office. Everything that entered the house either from a physical shop or from online was hygienically wiped as it came in. Hands were washed with regularity, masks worn, my dad showered every time he came home from work and washed his clothes separately every day.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 02, 2020, 12:49:03 AM
Well I just tested positive for corronavirus as did my parents who I live with. Just great. An awful headache that can be managed with paracetamol is my only symptom at the moment but my parents have it worse. Also annoyed I cant walk my dog.

Oh I'm very sorry to hear that and hope that your symptoms remain mild and that your parents get better soon.

Halichoeres

Wishing you and your parents a speedy and complete recovery, avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx.

Newt

Brontozaurus

Hope you and your parents get better soon, Gothmog! A friend of mine caught it and felt really bad for a few days but he's better now, my fingers are crossed that it's the same for you.

Here in Melbourne, Australia we just got through an intense three month lockdown after cases spiked in late July. We could only stay within 5km of our homes except for reasons like work (if you couldn't work from home, which I did) or to see partners, masks were mandatory for going outside, you couldn't go to someone else's house, and anything that wasn't essential retail (i.e. supermarkets) or food got shut down. As a result, we've gone from 700+ new cases per day to multiple days of zero new cases or deaths, and yesterday was our first day in months where no new cases were reported in the entire country. Of course this doesn't mean that we've rid ourselves of coronavirus completely but it's given us leeway to cautiously lift a lot of restrictions and reopen some places. I got a haircut for the first time in months last week and it's surreal to be able to browse for new figures in person (not that there are any new ones given the retail closure). Masks outside are still mandatory, but I'm ok with that and I don't expect it to be changed until after Christmas.

Honestly it's going to be weird if we manage to get the virus completely suppressed here while so many other countries are going into lockdowns. Though take it from me, if your country goes into a lockdown like we did, it's gonna suck but it absolutely works.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.