News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wan Long Teng - New For 2020

Started by Over9K, March 12, 2020, 02:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: KeU on November 20, 2020, 01:07:35 PM

Curious what the scale is this time around.

What material is it made of?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks like a bronze version. Probably a faux bronze.  Reminds me of Sideshow trying to get a bit more out of the Dinosauria line.

Luke_Industries

We just got some new pictures of the 1/20 scale male T-rex from W-dragon. What do you think guys? I think the size is really epic but i am not sure yet whether the paintjob really is worth $400.

Join me on instagram for dinosaur model and drawing related content: https://www.instagram.com/_luke_industries_/

Mirroraptor

Yes, it is the female Tyrannosaurus rex in Jurassic Park 1. Will be a statue. This is W-Dragon's first product authorized by Univesal.
One possible bad news is that this product will only be allowed to be sold in Greater China (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, possibly Singapore). I do not confirm the accuracy of this news, but considering the management strategy of Universal Pictures, W-Dragon may be restricted to some extent.

KeU

Quote from: Mirroraptor on November 23, 2020, 07:32:46 AM
Yes, it is the female Tyrannosaurus rex in Jurassic Park 1. Will be a statue. This is W-Dragon's first product authorized by Univesal.
One possible bad news is that this product will only be allowed to be sold in Greater China (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, possibly Singapore). I do not confirm the accuracy of this news, but considering the management strategy of Universal Pictures, W-Dragon may be restricted to some extent.
How is Taiwan and Singapore part of Greater China??
Especially Singapore, it is way off south in South East Asia.

Halichoeres

Quote from: KeU on November 23, 2020, 04:33:05 PM

Linguistically I guess? I think Singapore has a lot more Chinese speakers than other countries in the region, so maybe it makes sense from a marketing perspective.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

KeU

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 23, 2020, 09:59:20 PM
Linguistically I guess? I think Singapore has a lot more Chinese speakers than other countries in the region, so maybe it makes sense from a marketing perspective.
It just sounds wrong and disrespectful lumping a separate country under another.
I am sure Americans wouldn't appreciate being called UK even if they are majority English speakers and historically under colonial rule.
Just be mindful of what is spoken and try to be accurate. Especially politically sensitive ones.

Flaffy

There's been surprisingly little news of officially licensed JP products since the announcement of W-dragon's collaboration with Universal.

Still hoping to see some screen-accurate herbivores produced for this line. Nanmu's versions are decent, but at times not entirely accurate to what we see on screen.

Mirroraptor

Quote from: KeU on November 23, 2020, 04:33:05 PM
The president of Universal Pictures China Office is the former vice president of Disney Greater China, Just like "Pan English Cultural Circle", "Greater China" which is a marketing concept or culture concept but not a political concept.This concept is widely accepted in the countries where it applies. Moreover, this is still an uncertain content. I can see that Universal Pictures is trying to expand the influence of their licensed products, and some overseas agents are already negotiating. But Universal Pictures has a strict review mechanism, and even the promotional posters must pass Universal Pictures' review, otherwise it will not be allowed to go public.
In addition, when the distributor in Japan negotiated with W-Dragon and Universal Pictures China to introduce products for sale, Universal Pictures China sent a Taiwanese. It should be remembered that politically sensitive content is different for different regions. Taiwan means to China just like Crimea means to Russia or Ryukyu means to Japan. Some "political correctness" does not apply to different places.

KeU

Quote from: Mirroraptor on November 26, 2020, 02:12:24 PM
The president of Universal Pictures China Office is the former vice president of Disney Greater China, Just like "Pan English Cultural Circle", "Greater China" which is a marketing concept or culture concept but not a political concept.This concept is widely accepted in the countries where it applies. Moreover, this is still an uncertain content. I can see that Universal Pictures is trying to expand the influence of their licensed products, and some overseas agents are already negotiating. But Universal Pictures has a strict review mechanism, and even the promotional posters must pass Universal Pictures' review, otherwise it will not be allowed to go public.
In addition, when the distributor in Japan negotiated with W-Dragon and Universal Pictures China to introduce products for sale, Universal Pictures China sent a Taiwanese. It should be remembered that politically sensitive content is different for different regions. Taiwan means to China just like Crimea means to Russia or Ryukyu means to Japan. Some "political correctness" does not apply to different places.
If you are using the Universal region definition, use Universal Greater China region then. Just greater China seem misleading.
And as you said, it is a marketing concept and not politically correct. That is why most avoid using it as it can be offensive. Which is my point.
I doubt any Taiwanese agrees, and they have been operating as an independent country for decades.
More so for Singapore, they feel insulted being lumped with the Chinese. They are an incredibly proud nation being able to be so successful despite their size. Last thing they need us being washed out under another.

DaleRussell

Quote from: KeU on November 23, 2020, 11:24:21 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 23, 2020, 09:59:20 PM
It just sounds wrong and disrespectful lumping a separate country under another.
I am sure Americans wouldn't appreciate being called UK even if they are majority English speakers and historically under colonial rule.
Just be mindful of what is spoken and try to be accurate. Especially politically sensitive ones.

Very respectfully I have to ask are you from any of those countries? If not, why should you feel offended by these terms, especially when the original post clearly did not have the intention of doing harm? The world is going through more serious things than people being offended by vague perceived aggressions. I appreciate your concern for civil discussion, and under that premise I would include the liberty for people to express themselves without fear of being targeted by political correctness. 

KeU

Quote from: DaleRussell on November 26, 2020, 04:26:37 PM
Very respectfully I have to ask are you from any of those countries? If not, why should you feel offended by these terms, especially when the original post clearly did not have the intention of doing harm? The world is going through more serious things than people being offended by vague perceived aggressions. I appreciate your concern for civil discussion, and under that premise I would include the liberty for people to express themselves without fear of being targeted by political correctness.
I'm from Iowa.
I am with allowing folks to express themselves but there needs to be line in the sand right?
The freedom of expression unfortunately,  also means the freedom of anyone to respond as well with their thoughts as well. It is a give and take.
Referring back to the original post,  the term Greater China was not necessary, the individual countries and SARs can be listed as is.
I am certain Mirroraptor has absolutely no intention of offending anyone even if said post might rub our Taiwanese and Singaporean friends the wrong one.
I apologize for side tracking this thread, it has gone on for almost a page now with barely any W-Dragon content.

DaleRussell

My friend I can see you meant well and I appreciate this sober exchange. I'm certain that if some one from those groups felt aggravated they would make their voice heard. I think a reasonable position most can agree to is that racial/sexist/speciest slur would be unwelcome, while the more nuanced situations should be discussed openly.

As you indicated, it would be wise to return to discussing w-dragon. Personally I'm a bit disappointed that they did not make a larger male rex (referring to the original release) and while this larger rex is glorious, it doesn't scale well with other w-dragon figures. With them acquiring the JP license I suspect their prices will see a corresponding  hike. I will also admit that I'm surprised it wasn't nanmu that got the license, given their larger portfolio and more accomplished (imo) pieces.

Over9K

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Flaffy on November 25, 2020, 05:13:21 PM
There's been surprisingly little news of officially licensed JP products since the announcement of W-dragon's collaboration with Universal.

Still hoping to see some screen-accurate herbivores produced for this line. Nanmu's versions are decent, but at times not entirely accurate to what we see on screen.
In a short period of time, this seems a bit difficult. As far as I know, the next product of W-Dragon will be Jurassic World's Indoraptor, which uses the original CGI modeling of the movie. The last time I asked W-Dragon if it would make other herbivorous animals, W-Dragon's reply was "They have their own ideas about these herbivores, and they may not design according to the movie." But they seem to be very interested in JP3 Pteranodon, maybe Procompsognathus and the newly produced JP3 Spino, but the JW series is not sure whether it will continue, and it is almost certain that the Giganotosaurus of JW3 will not be released.

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Luke_Industries

Renecite - thank you!

Now these look like a high quality paint job.
Join me on instagram for dinosaur model and drawing related content: https://www.instagram.com/_luke_industries_/

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

SenSx

By the way, the W-Dragon Giganotosaurus is now available at Everything Dinosaur, for a very good price.
Great deal for a great figure.

cooksonia

Yes it is a bit less than Aliexpress although the postage will be about £4

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.