News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prehistoric animals we'd like made, ordered by year named

Started by Sim, March 14, 2020, 06:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Thanks! That is interesting, I wonder if there were some early publications where it was mentioned in passing but there wasn't a proper description by ICZN rules.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

After further thought I've removed Cryolophosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus from the list as both have good versions that I don't think are inaccurate.  For Carcharodontosaurus my opinion on it changed after I received the 2016 Safari version which was painted well and which has teeth that look fine.  Also, the first animal that now has a good version available has been moved into a new list after the main list, it's Tarbosaurus which has been made by Favorite!  There's a number of other animals that have a good version coming, Paraceratherium (ITOY), Titanoboa (REBOR), Majungasaurus (Wild Past).  I'm curious about which will be the next out of these to be released.

Sim

I've moved Titanoboa to the list of species that have been made now that REBOR's is released!

Sim

I've moved Giraffatitan to the list of species that have now been made, now that W-Dragon's is released.

Sim

Now that ITOY's Paraceratherium is released I've moved this genus to the appropriate list.  It's encouraging to see so many species people wanted get made!  Makes me wonder what 2021 will bring.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on September 25, 2020, 09:55:45 PM
Now that ITOY's Paraceratherium is released I've moved this genus to the appropriate list.  It's encouraging to see so many species people wanted get made!  Makes me wonder what 2021 will bring.

Yes, may everyone's wishes come true!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on September 25, 2020, 09:55:45 PM

I would like in my case another paraceratherium from Safari, Collecta and even from Papo and in a large size like the paraceratherium from itoy. I want a herd of paraceratherium.

Sim

Well, I thought it might be good to update this thread!  I've removed Crocuta crocuta spelaea as I only want to count species, not subspecies.  I've updated the dire wolf's genus.  I'm no longer including species that have good retired versions in the list.  I've also removed the section at the bottom of species that got made.  I've changed the colour for Moschops to green (= only represented inaccurately) and the colour of Saurosuchus to purple as it's only represented by a very small figure.  Finally, I've removed the following from the list as they now have a good figure: Megalosaurus, Xiphactinus, Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Pinacosaurus, Daspletosaurus torosus, Tuojiangosaurus, Torvosaurus, Olorotitan and Livyatan.  It's encouraging to see so many species that were wanted have been made.  I hope that will continue!

Sim

I've also removed a few species only I had expressed interest in as I no longer want figures of them made.  I've now added the following species to the list, these are all species I'd like a good figure of:

1831: Scaphognathus crassirostris
1983: Angustinaripterus longicephalus
1985: Cearadactylus atrox
1994: Sinornithoides youngi
2003: Harpactognathus gentryii
2009: Xiongguanlong baimoensis
2010: Linheraptor exquisitus, Utahceratops gettyi
2021: Kunpengopterus antipollicatus

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, do your toys of Scaphognathus, Cearadactylus and Harpactognathus actually get called by their genus name, or are those names just guesses for their identity?

Halichoeres

The Cearadactylus has its name printed on it. The Harpactognathus has been identified as such on various Ice Age fan pages, but not officially as far as I know. The little box it comes in just says "pterodactyl." The Scaphognathus doesn't have any name on it, but it's possible that at one point it was so identified on a tag or packaging. I got mine secondhand from a forum member, at which time there was sort of a consensus about the IDs in the Waiphoon set. That said, I don't have any idea how that consensus was reached. Maybe avatar_SBell @SBell knows?

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 16, 2021, 04:38:45 PM
The Cearadactylus has its name printed on it. The Harpactognathus has been identified as such on various Ice Age fan pages, but not officially as far as I know. The little box it comes in just says "pterodactyl." The Scaphognathus doesn't have any name on it, but it's possible that at one point it was so identified on a tag or packaging. I got mine secondhand from a forum member, at which time there was sort of a consensus about the IDs in the Waiphoon set. That said, I don't have any idea how that consensus was reached. Maybe avatar_SBell @SBell knows?

If it's the set I'm thinking of, the identifications were guesses at best. I think I got the IDs from avatar_deanm @deanm back in the day

Sim

Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_SBell @SBell!  I've changed the colour of Scaphognathus and Harpactognathus to blue (= not been made into a figure).  It's weird and sad that no scaphognathine has ever truly been made into a figure.  They are the most dangerous-looking pterosaurs and I think they would sell well.  (I consider Harpactognathus a scaphognathine.)  I hope a company makes a scaphognathine soon.

On a related note, the year that stands out to me in the list in the first post is 1831, the year when the species of Rhamphorhynchus, Dorygnathus and Scaphognathus were named.  It's been over 150 years later and they still don't have a good figure representation.  That really needs to change soon.  Another standout year for me is 2005, the year Buitreraptor, Falcarius and Appalachiosaurus were named.  But I imagine for you two the year that stands out the most is 1843, the year species of Dinornis and Rhizodus were named.

SBell

Quote from: Sim on November 16, 2021, 05:24:15 PM
Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_SBell @SBell!  I've changed the colour of Scaphognathus and Harpactognathus to blue (= not been made into a figure).  It's weird and sad that no scaphognathine has ever truly been made into a figure.  They are the most dangerous-looking pterosaurs and I think they would sell well.  (I consider Harpactognathus a scaphognathine.)  I hope a company makes a scaphognathine soon.

On a related note, the year that stands out to me in the list in the first post is 1831, the year when the species of Rhamphorhynchus, Dorygnathus and Scaphognathus were named.  It's been over 150 years later and they still don't have a good figure representation.  That really needs to change soon.  Another standout year for me is 2005, the year Buitreraptor, Falcarius and Appalachiosaurus were named.  But I imagine for you two the year that stands out the most is 1843, the year species of Dinornis and Rhizodus were named.

I personally think 2012 is the most important year. avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres will know why!

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Concavenator

I have noticed how Zhenyuanlong and Chasmosaurus are on the list, but I don't undertand why they are there. There are already the BotM versions. Some of the BotM figures may not be completely perfect accuracy wise, but at the very least I think they're pretty decent representations of the creatures they're trying to depict.

Regarding what I would like:

Suchomimus
Dakotaraptor
Utahraptor
Brachylophosaurus
Tlatolophus

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, as I mentioned in the first post, action figures don't count for this.  For Chasmosaurus and Zhenyuanlong specifically, their BotM versions both have inaccuracies and I think better figures of those two animals can be made.  I do agree with you that the BotM Chasmosaurus belli is a good figure, but both Chasmosaurus species are in the list, and Chasmosaurus russelli doesn't even have a good figure.  The species you want made are interesting choices!  I'm not going to add Dakotaraptor, since as I mentioned in the first post I'm only going to include species known from decent remains.  The others are all in the list now. :)

Concavenator

deleted  ^-^

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on November 18, 2021, 07:21:58 PM
What are considered decent remains?
Animals that we have enough material from to make a good picture of what they looked like without having to rely too much on relatives
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

I've added the following species I'd like made to the first post:

1914: Anchiceratops ornatus

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.