News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Certain figures are sticky. What is the cause?

Started by CityRaptor, September 22, 2012, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

While cleaning my shelves, I noticed that a lot of my figures are rather sticky. 

What is the best way to get rid of that stickyness without damaging them?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 22, 2012, 03:27:31 PM
While cleaning my shelves, I noticed that a lot of my figures are rather sticky. 

What is the best way to get rid of that stickyness without damaging them?

depends on the severness.

I just handled a few of my figures, and they felt a little sticky, so instictivly, i washed it, and its fine.

However, i have one figure (WS Velociraptor) that is sticky 24 7, and i cannot clean it off, no matter how often i wash it.

I also have a wonder, and no offense intended.    Do you, or someone you live with smoke?

CityRaptor

Thanks. Any tipps regarding the method used for washing? Originally they were not sticky.

As for Smoking: No Smokers and also no Animals.
Don't worry, no offense taken.
Oh no

Takama

I just simply Shower them off in the sink or Shower.  Moveing my fingers around to get it wet

CityRaptor

Won't that damage them? Some of them are Electronic.
Oh no

Takama

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 22, 2012, 07:17:18 PM
Won't that damage them? Some of them are Electronic.

OOOOOOO SSSSSSSSSSS :-[

Wel i cant really speak for Electric ones

Invicta Hunter

Sometimes sticky plastic means the plastic has started to break down. I have had figures before that have been so sticky that they actually have little droplets of liquid form. You can use rubbing alcohol but be careful using it on painted figures.

CityRaptor

Well, mine don't have droplets.
An by break down, do you mean break down as in chemical break down or as in that the toy will be destroyed? Also is there a way to stop it?
Oh no

Invicta Hunter

The toy wont be destroyed, don't worry about that it would take a good bit of time for that to happen. I don't think you can really stop it but like i said before you can use rubbing alcohol to clean it and then it should feel better. Just remember not to use it on soft plastics and painted toys. I think the stickyness comes about from the toy being left in direct sun light or being put somewhere cold.

CityRaptor

Oh yes, totally forgot that plastic takes a long time to rot away. Now I'm relieved. Thanks for the tipps.

As for direct sunlight, might exposure to artifcial light also count? When we got a new ceiling in that room, we also got a new lamp, which seems to be quite powerful and I suspect that it partly melted the Dino-Damage piece on my JP Young T-Rex. I have since turned it so that it does not shine on my figures. As for sunlight, that would shine in during the afternoon, but I usually lower the window blind then, since I work in the room next to it.
Oh no

Invicta Hunter

Yes even artifcial lights put out a certain amount on UV light and the heat could really affect your figures. I've seen some figures bend because they were left near a light that was to strong. Since you turned the lamp away that should make a big difference and just watch out for any direct sunlight hitting them in the afternoon.
Hope this helps  :)

sauroid

very informative posts. we should turn this thread into a sticky.  ^-^
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Ah, the pun in that statement. But yes, making the thread even more sticky might be a good idea.

And thanks again for the help!
Oh no

docronnie

According to a chemist, the oil of the plastic is starting to leak and will leave the plastic brittle in the future.

So what I did is I wiped my sticky action figures with Silicone spray or Goo Gone.  Just checked now and some of the figures became sticky again after 6 months.

Will clean them again, maybe next week.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

sauroid

how come not all plastic figures become sticky eventually. i have my dad's old wild animal plastic/vinyl figures he got in the 60s/70s and they are still supple and almost as good as new...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

docronnie

Quote from: sauroid on November 06, 2012, 02:23:45 PM
how come not all plastic figures become sticky eventually. i have my dad's old wild animal plastic/vinyl figures he got in the 60s/70s and they are still supple and almost as good as new...

Only a few of my figures are sticky.  Most of the ones that got sticky are the transparent ones. 

Maybe the components of the plastic used back then is different.  Maybe there are sort of rubber components in the ones used today.  Because if you keep rubber bands here in the Philippines, they will melt and become sticky.  What I do back then to prolong the lives of my rubber bands, is to put them in the fridge.

tyrantqueen

TJ_Terrorsaur

I recently found out that putting them in hot water tends to help out a ton. My Ankyloranodon had the same problem along with warped wings. A few dunks in some nearly boiling water helped remedy both of my problems. What I did was get the water hot, took the pot off of the burner and then soaked his wings in the pot for about a minute or so each time I soaked them. The hot water bath helped me to reshape his wings and after the third time the stickiness began to subside.

docronnie

In my experience, changes in temperature, either hot or cold seems to solve most warping problems, but not all. I have yet to see if it'll work on stickiness.

Will try it. Thanks for sharing.

Shonisaurus

As you know I am a collector of dinosaurs and prehistoric toy animals and I have three figures that are as sticky and are Papo spinosaurus, Collecta paraceratherium and Collecta deluxe agustinia.

Although I usually clean them periodically I think it may be due to the continuous exposure they suffer from the sun rays from my room. The fact is that the rest of the figures do not suffer this anomaly.

Someone could tell me what is the cause and if at best has a solution.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.