News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Certain figures are sticky. What is the cause?

Started by CityRaptor, September 22, 2012, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek.McManus

I have never encountered this problem before could it possibly be oils released from the moulding process?

Mr. Challenger

My Papo spinosaurus is sticky too, but I don´t know why  :'(

PumperKrickel

deleted

Roselaar

My Papo Spinosaurus has the same problem. Never heard about it happening to Collecta figures though, that's a troubling bit of info...

BlueKrono

Never had that happen before with any of my figures. Got a Nessie one time that was oily when removed from the packaging. When I tried to wash the grease off with soap the paint started coming off. I was very frustrated. But I think that's different than what's happening here.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 18, 2017, 06:37:35 PM
Never had that happen before with any of my figures. Got a Nessie one time that was oily when removed from the packaging. When I tried to wash the grease off with soap the paint started coming off. I was very frustrated. But I think that's different than what's happening here.

I'm not sure that isn't the same thing. I think the process of plastic degradation, sufficiently advanced, will begin to take the paint with it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 18, 2017, 07:21:42 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on January 18, 2017, 06:37:35 PM

I'm not sure that isn't the same thing. I think the process of plastic degradation, sufficiently advanced, will begin to take the paint with it.

So from what I see are unfortunately deteriorating these three figures. You have to apply matte.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 18, 2017, 07:21:42 PM

I think the paint rubbing off through use before that happens is way more likely. Besides, colors degrade a different way:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Photodegradation

I also think that we can be glad that golden plastic is not used when it comes to our kind of figures:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Gold_Plastic_Syndrome

Interestingly I have some JP figures where the stickyness seems to vary. Sometimes they are less sticky. Probably has to do with the climate.

Oh and another hint: Be careful with lamps, depending on how much heat they produce.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

I have a mechanical koi that was sticky and the rubber was tearing and falling off just from sun damage.

terrorchicken

plastic going bad...the bane of toy collectors, whether they are dinosaur figures, action figures or dolls.
the only animal figures Ive had that had it were 3 British Museum marine reptile figures(the painted ones), I figure they were pretty old. Had a few dolls have it too. Ive had success rubbing alcohol on them but its a process youd have to repeat again as the plastic will just keep degrading.

CityRaptor

The fact that it is already happening to some Jurassic World toys does not exactly predict a positive future for those.
Oh no

PumperKrickel

deleted

CityRaptor

Expect for the Basher & Biter Indominus Rex, I hope. I own that one.
It also means that unbroken samples will be expensive to obtain for future collectors.
Oh no

PumperKrickel

deleted

Reptilia

What do you guys exactly mean with sticky? I have my Papo Spinosaurus which in fact leaves a different feeling than my other Papos when touched, but I don't know if I'd say it is sticky. My Papo Baryonyx also seems to be like that, but maybe it's just the shiny finish?

CityRaptor

Sticky as in if you ate candy and did not wash your hands after that.
Oh no

Reptilia

Ok, so it's not like that cause I don't have to wash my hands after I handled my Spinosaurus or any other model I own. Even though I touch my figures rarely and not for so long, admittedly.

To prevent any damage I suggest not to expose them to direct sunlight, as said before. I also don't display my figures in the hot season, my room gets particularly heated so I put them in a storage box and keep it in the coldest room of the house until the end of the summer.

ceratopsian

Perhaps it's not just sunlight involved.  By chance, earlier this week I happened to open a box in which I had stored my toy farm and zoo animals - mostly Britain's scale models - that I had as a young child.  So they will date from the mid to late 1960s I guess.  My parents packed them away years ago and eventually delivered them to my house.  I hadn't opened them since.  Then a few days ago I bit the bullet and opened the box, as we're doing a lot of decorating and clearing.  I had two giant pandas - I noticed one of them was slightly sticky to the touch.  Also I had several trees (again Britain's).  They had gone very sticky indeed and I threw them out. Sadly the sticky trees had damaged the stable block - so I threw that out as well.  The other animals seemed unaffected.  Just trying to decide now whether to store them in the loft - or be brave and take them to Oxfam!!  The box hadn't been stored anywhere warm.

PumperKrickel

deleted

ceratopsian

Yes, I'm sure you are right about vapours in a confined space.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.