News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO Plastic Quality

Started by Concavenator, June 08, 2020, 03:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

I remember having posted some time ago my problems with some figures getting sticky, namely the CollectA Deluxe Agustinia.
That is why, when I buy a figure from a new brand,  I try to make sure that I don't end up getting a figure with bad plastic quality just like that Agustinia. That is the only figure that I have that had this issue.

Last year, I bought my first 2 Eofauna figures (Giganotosaurus and Atlasaurus), and the quality of the plastic is excellent, as to be expected, and to this day, they remain fine.

But this year, I might get the (yet to be confirmed and revealed) Borealopelta, which would make it my first PNSO figure. That is why, I would like to ask all of you who have their mid-range figures like Ankylosaurus, Stegosaurus, Spinops... how is the plastic quality? Have you noticed the figure getting sticky ever since you got it/them? I would like to hear your thoughts!

John

I have the mid range Stegosaurus,Ankylosaurus and Eurhinosaurus.The plastic on all three is still perfectly fine.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

ceratopsian

I have a large number of PNSO models from minis up to Nick the Ceratosaurus. None of them has become sticky. Specifically I have the midrange Spinops, Stegosaurus and Ankylosaurus and they are fine. Sometimes with mini bipeds, the plastic is too soft and/or the legs too thin and they lean over time. I saw a Facebook post by a Chinese person yesterday about the new baseless Wilson. He commented that they had used a hard plastic for the legs. But they were so thin he still feared it would topple eventually!

SidB

After six months to one year and no air conditioning, my 15 plus figures are still perfectly fine,

Shonisaurus

All my PNSO figures are totally fine, it is more now with PNSO's sinoceratops and baby tyrannosaurus they look like resin figures being made of PVC even if you have them in person. The plastic in the PNSO figures are top quality.

Tyto_Theropod

I only have the PNSO Ankylosaurus, which I got last December and which has been standing in a glass-fronted bookcase in a cool but relatively sunny room ever since.  The plastic feels the same as when I got it and not at all sticky.  For context, I live in an area of Scotland that hardly ever sees temperatures reach 30C, so I don't know how the plastic would respond to a hotter climate, but I suspect it wouldn't make much difference. 

The material feels very high quality.  It has a smooth, matte texture and is more hard than rubbery, very similar to what my Eofauna Giganotosaurus (displayed alongside it in the same bookcase) is made of but a bit less rigid.  It's nothing like the more rubbery materials that you generally have stickiness issues with.

For what it's worth, I personally really like the feel of my model.  It has a nice solidity and weight to it which I like, and I'd honestly be very surprised if it broke, warped or anything.  So based on my experience and from the point of view of the quality of the toy, I highly recommend PNSO and would say go ahead and get your figure.  I doubt you'll regret it.

Hope this helped. :)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Shonisaurus

In my case, the climate in my city is extreme or it is very hot in summer, a dry heat with more than 40 degrees or it is extremely dry cold in winter with temperatures of less than 0 degrees. If it is because of the temperature, you should not worry, endure changes in temperature. I have no problems.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 08, 2020, 04:24:57 PM
I have a large number of PNSO models from minis up to Nick the Ceratosaurus. None of them has become sticky. Specifically I have the midrange Spinops, Stegosaurus and Ankylosaurus and they are fine. Sometimes with mini bipeds, the plastic is too soft and/or the legs too thin and they lean over time. I saw a Facebook post by a Chinese person yesterday about the new baseless Wilson. He commented that they had used a hard plastic for the legs. But they were so thin he still feared it would topple eventually!
Speaking of the "hard plastic" used for the brown baseless Wilson (version 3), it was confirmed in aa unexpected and unpleasant way last night. My specimen took a little fall, about 18 inches or so from my coffee table onto a carpeted floor. Snapped off the right forearm and broke the outer toe on the right leg. That definitely confirmed that the plastic is brittle, especially vulnerable at these thinner points. I'll certainly keep a watchful eye in the future on the PNSO pieces in this regard, especially the heavier ones. It's off to the repair shop for Wilson on Wednesday.

Bread

Quote from: SidB on February 16, 2021, 01:25:00 PM
Speaking of the "hard plastic" used for the brown baseless Wilson (version 3), it was confirmed in aa unexpected and unpleasant way last night. My specimen took a little fall, about 18 inches or so from my coffee table onto a carpeted floor. Snapped off the right forearm and broke the outer toe on the right leg. That definitely confirmed that the plastic is brittle, especially vulnerable at these thinner points. I'll certainly keep a watchful eye in the future on the PNSO pieces in this regard, especially the heavier ones. It's off to the repair shop for Wilson on Wednesday.
Is the old Wilson as well as any other museum line figures made of different plastics? From what I can tell (based on feel) the plastic on the older Wilson and Yangchuanosaurus have a much harder feel to them, not as bendable and softer as their newer figures.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on February 16, 2021, 02:43:55 PM
Quote from: SidB on February 16, 2021, 01:25:00 PM
Is the old Wilson as well as any other museum line figures made of different plastics? From what I can tell (based on feel) the plastic on the older Wilson and Yangchuanosaurus have a much harder feel to them, not as bendable and softer as their newer figures.
This experience revealed that Wilson 2 can definitely shatter when dropped, at least when the impact involves the thinner pieces such as arms and toes. The repair went well, but I'm forewarned - the older, heavier figures are kept well back from shelf edges and/or are well supported from now on.

Bread

Glad the repair went well, and thank you for the heads up. Currently my Wilson V2 is in the hands of my nephew, and in this case I will warn him.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on March 13, 2021, 01:06:34 PM
Glad the repair went well, and thank you for the heads up. Currently my Wilson V2 is in the hands of my nephew, and in this case I will warn him.
Good idea - we all know what became of Humpty Dumpty.

andrewsaurus rex

I have the Sede Ankylosaurus and a couple of the larger, hollow vinyl figures by PNSO and no issues with stickiness.  My beef with the vinyl figures is that they are IMPOSSIBLE to heat and reshape.  With most figures I own, just need a couple of minutes heat from a hair dryer, bend, run under cold water and the new pose holds.  Rarely I have to use more drastic methods like using boiling water, or holding the part to be bent over a candle.

I don't know what's up with PNSO vinyl but NOTHING works.  It will warm up, bend and stay.....for a few minutes but after a couple of hours it will go right back to its original position, no mater how hot I heat it up.  I've never seen any plastic like it.

This probably won't bother most collectors, but I do a lot of customizing and the PNSO vinyl was really annoying.

Safari and Schleich plastic is a customizers dream.......quick heat up, cold water and it will stay exactly where I positioned it with virtually no springing back to its original position.  Even larger thick pieces respond well.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.