News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo - new for 2020

Started by Halichoeres, June 13, 2020, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Almost every company in Japan is making merch for the Doraemon movie Nobita's New Dinosaur:

Oops! All Theropods CapsuleQ set:

Acrocanthosaurus skeleton, in two color versions
Allosaurus
Spinosaurus
Tyrannosaurus
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Seems to be a big thing.

I'm actually okay with that.  Shelf space is finite, collection budget is finite and there are so many figures by other companies I'm interested in.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

I am a little disappointed, I just started collecting Kaiyodo figures and was hoping they would reveal some new figures. Though, I might grab that pink and blue Oviraptor (?), those colors are always a winning combo in my book. Also, I have to say, these look miles better than what Takara showed off.

SBell

Quote from: Loon on June 13, 2020, 06:58:36 PM
I am a little disappointed, I just started collecting Kaiyodo figures and was hoping they would reveal some new figures. Though, I might grab that pink and blue Oviraptor (?), those colors are always a winning combo in my book. Also, I have to say, these look miles better than what Takara showed off.

If you've just started with Kaiyodo you will need all your resources just to get caught up anyway! There's dozens of them, they're all long out of production, and they can be hard to find and expensive...unless you want to hit cheat mode and get a full complete set from avatar_brettnj @brettnj but I have no idea how much that costs!

(and it still wouldn't include the more recent Capsule lines...or dino expo figures...or other series' dinos...)!  :))

Loon

Quote from: SBell on June 13, 2020, 10:40:14 PM
If you've just started with Kaiyodo you will need all your resources just to get caught up anyway! There's dozens of them, they're all long out of production, and they can be hard to find and expensive...unless you want to hit cheat mode and get a full complete set from avatar_brettnj @brettnj but I have no idea how much that costs!

(and it still wouldn't include the more recent Capsule lines...or dino expo figures...or other series' dinos...)!  :))

I've already got, quite a few (around 50), and that's from only buying them for the past couple of months. And, yes, I actually contacted Brett already, and let's just say, that numbers going to grow quite soon.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on June 13, 2020, 06:58:36 PM

Yeah, they definitely do look nicer, partly because they don't have all the articulations. They do look kind of Oviraptor-y, but from what I can gather this is supposed to be a brand new species the protagonists discover in-universe.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Only slightly less disappointing (from my perspective). Theropod fans, and no one else, will be pleased:

Acrocanthosaurus skeleton, in two color versions
Allosaurus
Spinosaurus
Tyrannosaurus

CityRaptor

It's not too bad. Sure, I got five different Kaiyodo Rexes ( one a skeleton and one Retro )  but I have no modern Allosaurus ( only a Retro-Classic one ), Acrocanthosaurus or Spinosaurus from them so far. Indeed I am in need of a good representation of Allosaurus and the current Spinosaurus anyways. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, are they made of soft pliable plastic unlike the dino tales series? and how big are they (the hand comparison isnt really reliable)?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on July 04, 2020, 05:11:40 AM
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, are they made of soft pliable plastic unlike the dino tales series? and how big are they (the hand comparison isnt really reliable)?

We don't know much yet, just the photos from avatar_brettnj @brettnj .

They're probably similar in materials and size to recent capsule sets

I for one look forward to lining up the new Spinosaurus with the recent expo one and the Dinotales one... it's like watching the reconstruction hypotheses evolve!

sauroid

i just wish Kaiyodo would go beyond the tired old same species over and over again.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

brettnj

Quote from: sauroid on July 04, 2020, 05:11:40 AM

I strongly assume Sean is right.

All of Kaiyodo's Gashapon figures of recent years--aquarium, zoo, CQM--have been of the softer plastic.

As for size, unless you're looking for exact measurements, I also strongly assume they are the size you and all of us strongly assume they are... Dinotales--and though they are CQM they are also noted as Dinotales on (at least some) advertising materials--virtually (arguably literally) never stray (unlike, say, the charm sets which suggest it in their name and a few in the Wild Rush sets) beyond the expected.

Since I'm here, of course I'm taking orders for these (and the pending Kaiyodo spider set (and this month's caterpillar set) now...

Halichoeres

Quote from: sauroid on July 04, 2020, 11:14:57 AM
i just wish Kaiyodo would go beyond the tired old same species over and over again.

Same. I can see the appeal of avatar_SBell @SBell's idea to show the evolving understanding of the animal's anatomy, but personally I don't have much use for a Spino at this scale. I have a lot of Kaiyodo figures, but they haven't released anything that I saw fit to add to my collection since 2016. One yawn-fest after another.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 04, 2020, 04:57:42 PM
Quote from: sauroid on July 04, 2020, 11:14:57 AM

Same. I can see the appeal of avatar_SBell @SBell's idea to show the evolving understanding of the animal's anatomy, but personally I don't have much use for a Spino at this scale. I have a lot of Kaiyodo figures, but they haven't released anything that I saw fit to add to my collection since 2016. One yawn-fest after another.

Agreed, I would rather have a wider range of prehistoric animals. But once in a while they at least update things, like the recent Deinocheirus and Borealpelta. I never seem to buy full sets anymore though.

brettnj

While generally I agree with H (And the whole issue of it is maddening (Kaiyodo's repetition of subjects at the expense of new species--not my agreeing with H...)...), I thought there were at least improvements in many cases--including something as simple as the Dinotales series 4 tarbosaurus getting a naturalistic paint scheme. I never loved the figure, but while I'd never have displayed the series 4 versions due to the gharish paint, I might display this one once I've got more room.

But most particularly I felt that the 2019 set with the aforementioned deinocheirus was really stunning and elegant and, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere on the site, that that set's t-rex would make a really impressive front and center display piece to the entire Dinotales (including the CQMs) line.

John

If anyone had missed out on the 2019 Dinosaur Expo Tyrannosaurus rex,then the new one in this set should come as good news as it's the same model just reposed and repainted on a better base. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

brettnj

My knee jerk reaction as I sit at my desk with the very figure in question in front of me for (too) immediate comparison was that you were mistaken.

But taking a moment, I get your point.

If I get bored, maybe I'll try to figure out how many rexes Kaiyodo made...

brettnj

Okay, I was already bored when I mentioned I'd do this if I got bored in the last post...

Others can fill in any I missed and/or offer proper names for sets... Not going near skeletons, skulls, or anything beyond Gashapon size since I don't collect them...
Maybe there were ones in the bottle cap set and/or Jurassic Park set which I also never collected?

Dinotales series 1
Dinotales series 1 secret white variant
Dinotales series 1.2 variant
Jurassic Park Tour boxed set variant

Dinotales series 3 secret classic construction x3

Dinotales series 5, two versions rearing
Dinotales series 7, two versions running, smaller than expected

first CQM set regular, feathered, and feathered variant
CQM fighting triceratops (and I've never quite understood but I think there's some smaller Mini Q version?)
2 variants from CQM set with the therizinosaurus

feathered version in 2016 Dino Expo set with the yi-qi
Sue--large, small
Study Room resin
There was one from a Wonder Fest.
the 2019 Dino Expo one in question plus the bronze version
the pending one--which would be 26 if right about the mini Q

Might not have gotten them all but when you see this number and consider how long ago the first was issued, it's not so extreme and certainly very understandable that such a massively popular subject would take such precedence from a business perspective. Perhaps without some of these pulling in money from children and more generic collectors we wouldn't have had some of our favorite rarities made...

SBell

That's quite the list. And, indeed, there is a Kaiyodo rex in the Coca Cola JP 3 set as well.

brettnj

So, 27...

What I think I can justify bothering me about this since it is not out of line with profit margins is that there are a few similarly extremely iconic species such as the smilodon and especially the mammoth whose original figures I don't think received deserved impressive sculpts that could very likely be readdressed to the same general audience response as reissues of the t-rex, but Kaiyodo hasn't done so.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.