News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo - new for 2020

Started by Halichoeres, June 13, 2020, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

But a hairy elephant and a cat with oversized canines lack something very important: Rex Appeal!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

brettnj

Yeah, Rex sells...

Flaffy

I can't tell if the Spinosaurus's tail is based off the new discoveries or not.
On one hand, it seems taller than their previous attempt at the genus:

On the other, it's rather thick, and doesn't have a defined ridge. The tail seems oddly short as well taking into account the angle.

Kapitaenosavrvs

I would say, the planning of a new Sculpts takes ALOT time. I think the new one is not based on the new info we have, but rides on the wave of a more aquatic Spino. Essien has a more aquatic Tail, Papo Spino has. The others got Croclike Tails.  But these are more interpretations in the ongoing discussion. Looks okay to me. I guess, we'll see more accurate Spinos in 2021(maybe.) from the bigger companies, and single Artists do not have to discuss and plan that much, because they have a really small Production and are therefore much faster. avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus has Photos of an WIP 2020 Spino from him. Just for an Example.

This is of course just my own point of view. Could have been done after the Paper, but not that exaggerated (Of course the real deal is quite extreme looking), so that you reach most of the people. I Guess, there are many many People that just do not like the new Tail, because the "want their Spino to be SPino as it was :("

Dinoxels

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on July 14, 2020, 03:27:50 PM
I would say, the planning of a new Sculpts takes ALOT time. I think the new one is not based on the new info we have, but rides on the wave of a more aquatic Spino. Essien has a more aquatic Tail, Papo Spino has. The others got Croclike Tails.  But these are more interpretations in the ongoing discussion. Looks okay to me. I guess, we'll see more accurate Spinos in 2021(maybe.) from the bigger companies, and single Artists do not have to discuss and plan that much, because they have a really small Production and are therefore much faster. Kayakasaurus has Photos of an WIP 2020 Spino from him. Just for an Example.

This is of course just my own point of view. Could have been done after the Paper, but not that exaggerated (Of course the real deal is quite extreme looking), so that you reach most of the people. I Guess, there are many many People that just do not like the new Tail, because the "want their Spino to be SPino as it was :("
Kayakasaurus is working on a new Spinosaurus?
Unless you are thinking of antediluviananimals' Spinosaurus.

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Dinoxels on July 14, 2020, 05:06:54 PM

Probably antediluviananimals, it wouldn't be the first time we've gotten mixed up  :))
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on July 15, 2020, 07:35:22 AM
Quote from: Dinoxels on July 14, 2020, 05:06:54 PM

Probably antediluviananimals, it wouldn't be the first time we've gotten mixed up  :))

Oh Boy :D Oops. (I would love to see a new one from you, but thats another Topic.)

Sim

[...] I Guess, there are many many People that just do not like the new Tail, because the "want their Spino to be SPino as it was :("

I have to say, with each of Ibrahim et al's new discoveries of Spinosaurus that have changed how it's reconstructed, Spinosaurus has become less and less appealing to me.  I wouldn't say I want Spino to be Spino as it was, but I do miss the old long-legged, curved-sailed Spinosaurus.  I don't think companies should keep making obsolete reconstructions of Spinosaurus, but at the same time I'm not keen to buy new Spinosaurus reconstructions.

suspsy

I think Spinosaurus is vastly more interesting as we know it to be now as opposed to pre-2014. But it should be noted that the M-shaped sail is purely speculative. It could well have had the classic dome shape that we all grew up with. No way of knowing until more bones are discovered.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Sim on July 15, 2020, 05:14:12 PM
[...] I Guess, there are many many People that just do not like the new Tail, because the "want their Spino to be SPino as it was :("

I have to say, with each of Ibrahim et al's new discoveries of Spinosaurus that have changed how it's reconstructed, Spinosaurus has become less and less appealing to me.  I wouldn't say I want Spino to be Spino as it was, but I do miss the old long-legged, curved-sailed Spinosaurus.  I don't think companies should keep making obsolete reconstructions of Spinosaurus, but at the same time I'm not keen to buy new Spinosaurus reconstructions.

Interesting. I grew up with the Allohead Spinosaurus and then the JP3 Spino aswell. But to me, the Animal gets more and more interesting with every new thing "we" find out about it. There are Tonns of great modern interpretations by a lot of Artists around the World. On the ther Had we have Tons of JP3 Spinos. But not that much in between. Maybe its for a reasen, because its so polarizing and the opinions and feels about it are mostly black and whithe. I love that new Tail and the shorter Legs tbh.

Also i feel that people do not like all the Spinosaurustalk, because it is that popular. I try not to care. Just think of Deinocheirus. That was like: Wat.

As Suspy said, alot is interpretation. Just an Idea. Also i believe, that the Sail differed in Shapes and Sizes. Maybe nothing too extreme, but they are still Animals and not an exact copy of a Blueprint.

Also, i really liked this kind of long Sail we have in the Spinosaurus of David Krentz or the old Spinosaurus from the Game The Isle. They are somewhat in between.
In the End time will tell. I hope.

brettnj

Actual photos of these. They are strikingly beautiful figures and the detail on the ally is extraordinary. Vast improvement in my eyes over the previous allosauruses and spinos.
https://kaiyodo.co.jp/items/capsuleq/cqm124/

CityRaptor

Beautiful! In my opinion those are welcome updates of their older figures.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Flaffy

I personally don't understand making a skeleton figure without making the in-flesh version. (Acrocanthosaurus)
Just feels out of place, and a missed opportunity for an updated Kaiyodo Acro.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: brettnj on July 19, 2020, 10:50:15 PM
Actual photos of these. They are strikingly beautiful figures and the detail on the ally is extraordinary. Vast improvement in my eyes over the previous allosauruses and spinos.
https://kaiyodo.co.jp/items/capsuleq/cqm124/

Thank you very much. They all look beautiful. 400 Yen? This is around 3,30 Euros. Wat.
I kind of like the Acrocantho Skeleton, too.

Since i am not informed on kaiyodos: They aren't that well distributed in Europe, it seems. Is there an "easy" version of getting Kaiyodo Figures? Ebay and AliExpress often sell them for way more than 10 Euros each.

brettnj

Hey Kap.

Outside of having your own source in Japan, I'm pretty confident I and my source are the best option for Kaiyodos in terms of price, availability, and service. I have the complete series 1-7, many individual sets, and hundreds of individual figures available.

And we can get what I don't have, also at the best prices.

Please PM if interested.

Thanks.
Brett

stegosauria

Quote from: Flaffy on July 20, 2020, 04:17:49 AM
I personally don't understand making a skeleton figure without making the in-flesh version. (Acrocanthosaurus)
Just feels out of place, and a missed opportunity for an updated Kaiyodo Acro.

I also don't understand the Acrocanthosaurus too- they did two skeletons and none fleshed one. That doesn't make any sense. If they made a good Acrocanthosaurus maybe I would have get the set.