News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mold on Dinosaurs

Started by Shenuday the Great, June 16, 2020, 03:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shenuday the Great

These two Imperial's were left outside for a while, and splotches of mold have started to form on them.

The mold is much more severe on the triceratops.

I've tried soaking them in soapy water and then scrubbing them with a toothbrush, which works on dirt, but it barely did anything. Chlorine and bleach come to mind, but I'm afraid they might damage the paint. I'd like a way to clean the mold off that doesn't damage the toy itself. Any ideas?

sauroid

that type of mold usually embed themselves almost permanently on soft type plastic materials. dont put those toys among your other plastic figures. ive read somewhere (in Kaiju sofubi groups) that they are "transferrable/contagious".
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Ewww. Guess it is time to get rid of those now. Not sell. Not donate. But throwing them away.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Martwad

I'd soak them in a bleach solution before throwing them away.  If the paint survives...great, but if not, they could always be a repaint project.

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 16, 2020, 11:10:48 AM
Ewww. Guess it is time to get rid of those now. Not sell. Not donate. But throwing them away.
Best not to donate old Imperial figures anyway, as they are likely to contain lead.

Trying to save the paint is probably a lost cause. If you want to save them it's the time to cut your losses and go to the harsh chemicals to get this cleared off.

Shenuday the Great

Thanks for your responses guys. I guess I'm gonna have to throw them away, but first I'll try soaking them in a bleach or chlorine solution (might as well try).

Shonisaurus

I check all my prehistoric animals whenever I can. I don't think any of my dinosaurs and prehistoric animals have mold but how can I find out? I know that question would correspond to another thread but it catches my attention.

Lanthanotus

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Mold developes under humid conditions while air circulation is low or completely blocked. So if you have your figures in shelves in a commonly ventilated appartment or house with your common conditions as humans need to feel comfortable, you and your figures are fine.

This also goes for figures stowed away in the attic in boxes or so. While air ventilation is low or totally blocked, the lack of humidity prevents mold.

I for example only know these blotches of mold from cheap figures left in a sandbox out in the garden, buried over winter. But I also have Bullyland and Schleich figures that were literally buried for decades in the garden of my parents but are totally unharmed by mold or other decomposition.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.