News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Articulated Jaws Advice: Repairing, Removing, Fixing-in-place etc..

Started by Justin_, June 18, 2020, 11:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin_

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this yet so here is one. A place for advice and opinions on articulated jaws in general.

The specific question I have is: Can I safely remove the jaw on my Papo running Rex without stretching it too much? I will be eventually fixing it in place in a slightly open position and I'd like to remodel the tongue first so it is sitting inside the bottom jaw rather than pointing up.
I'm guessing that in the factory the jaw is put in place first and then the top of the head is glued down over the pegs.

stargatedalek

It varies for every figure, sometimes the jaw is inside the assembly, sometimes it's "popped" into the sockets. Some even have a single "axle" that goes across through the head rather than two posts/anchors.

I recommend holding the figures head in hot water for a few minutes, then manipulating the jaw to see if you can feel how it's attached. If it was popped into sockets it might even come out with some gentle pulling after being heated up.

Since you want it to get really soft for this I recommend hot water in a mug rather than a pot, this allows you to set the figure and come back to it without it being damaged by touching hot metal.

Mellow Stego

Is there a way I can keep my PNSO Spinosaurus mouth closed? I'm assuming it was designed to remain slightly open? I only say that because it doesn't stay closed or lets me open it wider.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Justin_

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 18, 2020, 01:17:34 PM
....... I recommend holding the figures head in hot water for a few minutes,.....

As I've already done some repainting of the head I'm not going to risk hot water on it. It opens wide enough for me to do the tongue remodelling without removing the jaw but it would obviously be easier if I could.

Justin_

Quote from: Mellow Stego on June 21, 2020, 04:43:23 AM
Is there a way I can keep my PNSO Spinosaurus mouth closed? I'm assuming it was designed to remain slightly open? I only say that because it doesn't stay closed or lets me open it wider.

The first thing I would try is a bit of blue tack wedged into the gap between the back of the jaw and the neck, or put blue tack inside the mouth and squeeze the jaws together.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.