News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The New Schleich 2021 species just got announced.

Started by Rex King, July 29, 2020, 03:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Thoughts:
Kaprosuchus: Nice choice
Mosaurus: Interested how this one turns out
Pachycephalosaurus: Kinda wierd given that they recently made a dracorex, its like a company making torosaurus, and then two years later a triceratops
Ceratosaurus: This is a big hit or miss
Bronto: Good pick, gven its like a symbol of both vintage dinosaurs and the modern depictions(like how its now reconginezed a true genus after so many years of just being apatosaurus)

CityRaptor

Isn't thw whole growth stages thing for Trike and Pachy still debated? Besides, do you really think Schleich would be up to date with that after this year's Agustinia and Postosuchus?

Quote from: Sim on July 31, 2020, 08:23:34 PM
Heh, Ceratosaurus is a species I requested from Schleich, see the quote below.  Interesting they didn't go with Austroraptor and Velociraptor, I guess they don't feel ready to make those yet.  We'll see what the Ceratosaurus is like!  Kaprosuchus is a boring choice to me, all that's known of it is the head and I don't like figures that invent body parts too much.

Quote from: Sim on December 12, 2019, 03:55:25 PM
I've expressed my interest to Schleich that I'd like to see the sculptor of the Baryonyx make the following as Schleich figures: Ceratosaurus, a Velociraptor that's based on the real animal rather than one from the Jurassic Park series, and Austroraptor.  I also added that if they made a new Velociraptor or an Austroraptor, I hoped they would be feathered like a bird.  Schleich replied, thanking me for the product suggestion and the criticism, and they said they would gladly pass it on to their product development and marketing team.  The criticism they referred to I imagine regards when I mentioned the Velociraptor figures they've made so far appear to be based on the ones from the Jurassic Park series and I briefly described how those differ from a real Velociraptor.  We'll see if any of the things I suggested gets made as a Schleich figure! :)

Well, they released another repainted "Velociraptor" this year.

Quote from: Brocc21 on July 31, 2020, 05:16:37 PM
I'm crossing my fingers they don't look like weird Godzilla monsters. You just can't ever be sure with Schleich.

I actually would prefer "weird Godzilla monsters" to some of the stuff they put out. I mean, look at their Barapasaurus:

Nightmare Fuel!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Torosaurus is not the same as Triceratops. That notion was debunked repeatedly years ago.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Sarapaurolophus

I have seen most of the Wild and Farm Life leaked images and while they were blurry it was evident the new models had marked improvement over the last year's offerings. Especially some of the horses (and it was obvious which sculptor did them, lol) but I also noticed some style changes overall, less alien almond eyes, some horses had eye whites. So maybe this means this one sculptor was able to work more freely or it means Schleich responded to some of the heavy criticisms issued by the model horse collectors. We'll see if dinosaurs will follow this trend or not.

SidB

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: suspsy on August 01, 2020, 05:09:00 PM
Torosaurus is not the same as Triceratops. That notion was debunked repeatedly years ago.
No no no, the reason I used torosaurus is because it was very related to triceratops, kind of like pachy and dracorex

Brocc21

I've noticed that schleich usually has serviceable sculpts (usually). So hopefully they'll manage to pick some decent colors. I think a paint scheme can go a long way.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Brontozaurus

As much as I want to be like 'man these could turn out interesting', I said that about the 2020 range, and...well....

I'll keep my expectations at ground level. At the very least though, Ceratosaurus is gnarly enough in reality for Schleich to do something interesting with.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Nimravus

Ha ha, I do not expect anything from Schleich, they seemed to have  improved a couple of years ago with the Oviraptor, Psittacosaurus and Spinosaurus, but they did not keep the momentum, and  they ended up producing the same ugly and scientifically inaccurate stuff as usual  >:(

sauroid

im looking forward to the Pachycephalosaurus and Brontosaurus. not really expecting much on the carnivorous species. (the way they'd sculpt the teeth would be very disappointing). well actually i shouldnt expect too much from Schleich.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Flaffy

To those who are optimistic about the Ceratosaurus O:-)

I dont know what to expect from Schleich anymore.

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Quote from: Flaffy on August 04, 2020, 04:16:50 PM

:))  :))  :))  :))  :))  :))

suspsy

To be fair, the Dracorex and the Diabloceratops came out after that trainwreck above. Schleich dinosaur assortments are kind of like a bag containing both jellybeans and rabbit droppings.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

SidB

Historically, it's always been that way. Back in the Replicasaurus days, for every Shonisaurus or Iguanodon, there was a Ceratosaurus or Baryonyx.

Loon

Yeah, as much as I dis Schleich, they still can make some pretty amazing figures if they try, kinda like Papo. I still maintain their Dinogorgon is one of my favorite figures ever.

Martwad

I'm mostly interested in their interpretation of a Kaprosuchus.  They essentially have all the artistic license they could want since all we know of the creature is a skull.  I will be acquiring that piece as long as it's within the 1:30-50 scale range.  The Papo and Safari versions are great, but their scales are too large for my collection.

CityRaptor

SNIP

Well, at least the hands are not pronated.

Quote from: Loon on August 04, 2020, 06:18:54 PM
Yeah, as much as I dis Schleich, they still can make some pretty amazing figures if they try, kinda like Papo. I still maintain their Dinogorgon is one of my favorite figures ever.

Yeah, that is the thing with Schleich. They have to potential for greatness, but they mostly churn out junk. I also noticed that a lot of their good figures tend to be shortlived, while their bad ones tend to stick around, often getting repaints. Case in point, their 2012 T.rex ( or as they call it T-Rex ) come originally in green, had a very limited gold run, a not so limited red one ( despite people on eBay asking hilariously high prices for it, one can still buy it from Schleich directly ), a blue one that came with a volcano, and is getting a red and blue version this year. Oh, and they also made a smaller version of it for their new magazine.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SidB

Though I also collect figures from lines that are generally far superior, I think that the reason that I keep collecting occasional Schleich figures ( I have several boxes of them now) is for the reason that you mentioned, avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor - they are capable and more than capable of periodically producing some very fine pieces. It's the reason why I keep anticipating releases and also the reason why I frequently get frustrated at their obtuseness. I haven't given up on them, not at all.

Dinoxels

Quote from: suspsy on August 04, 2020, 05:01:55 PM

To be fair, the Dracorex and the Diabloceratops came out after that trainwreck above. Schleich dinosaur assortments are kind of like a bag containing both jellybeans and rabbit droppings.
I couldn't agree more.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Szajmin

"To be fair, the Dracorex and the Diabloceratops came out after that trainwreck above."

just like that guy

Now i really hope that with Ceratosaurus they pull out something like spinosaurus, juvenile giganotosaurus   or baryonyx, and not just something like a old giganotosaurus with a horn (cryolophosaurus looks to me like a remolded "14516 Giganotosaurus").

BTW
Everyone seems to love schleich dracorex, and i get it, it is a detailed figure, but arent the arms and wrist in outdated posistion?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.