News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

what should I notice when choose a dinosaur toy for kids?

Started by Anna Lee, September 21, 2020, 06:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Lee

what is a great dinosaur toy? As I know there is assembled artwork, seems cool and vivid; also there is some dinosaur puppet, dino sculpture, hand-made dino model. But which one is better? or is there any other cool toys?

Shonisaurus

If they are very young children, it is recommended that the toy does not have very small parts, or that it have points that could harm children. It is recommended up to 5 or 6 years a stuffed dinosaur or a Recur dinosaur are figures that do not weigh and do not endanger the health and physical integrity of the child.

Recur dinosaurs do not have sharp pieces, nor are they heavy and are made up of one piece, although perhaps the best are the stuffed dinosaurs by far for children as I have already indicated in the first paragraph.

Anna Lee

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 21, 2020, 07:18:01 AM
If they are very young children, it is recommended that the toy does not have very small parts, or that it have points that could harm children. It is recommended up to 5 or 6 years a stuffed dinosaur or a Recur dinosaur are figures that do not weigh and do not endanger the health and physical integrity of the child.

Recur dinosaurs do not have sharp pieces, nor are they heavy and are made up of one piece, although perhaps the best are the stuffed dinosaurs by far for children as I have already indicated in the first paragraph.

Shonisaurus, thank you for your help ^-^. They're 2 years old.

PrimevalRaptor

I'd agree with avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, I'm no expert on kids but I think for a 2 year old a stuffed toy would probably be the least risky choice. And once they grow a bit older you can maybe get them some Safari ones, they're always great!

stargatedalek

The most important thing is to buy from a manufacturer you know the origins of, and whose figures are marked "CE" meaning they're safe. Buying a plush or soft toy can end up putting children in (a lot) more danger than a regular hard plastic toy if you end up buying a cheap bootleg one made of toxic materials, as those soft materials can be chewed on more easily.

Gwangi

To echo what Stargate said, also beware of older toys that may contain lead. The toy dinosaurs I grew up playing with, as it turns out, were NOT safe for kids.

As an example, I had this Larami Brachiosaurus as a kid. These old toys are still around, at daycare centers, garage sales, eBay toy lots. So although they're old they are still readily available. If you buy used toys then be careful.
https://tamararubin.com/2019/04/larami-toys-brachiosaurus-toy-dinosaur-2213-ppm-lead-2721-ppm-antimony-this-toy-is-not-safe-for-children-would-be-illegal-if-made-today/

Most toys by Safari and other modern companies are rated for 3+ and although they have pointy bits they're still safe with supervised play. They also work under modern industry safety standards. So I would recommend toys by Safari, CollectA, Mojo, Schleich, etc.. My daughter is 5 and her favorite dinosaur toys are usually smaller ones, like Safari toob toys but those might be too small for your kids. The Mattel Jurassic World action figures are also popular around here and a lot of fun for kids.

Libraraptor

It´s probably utopian to find a toy that has not been produced with lots of help from child labour by children only slightly older than your kids. 
So I´d first and foremost ask you not to buy any dinosaur toys at all if you  don´t want to blur your moral footprint on Earth. But this is a touchy issue. Where to start? Where to draw the line?

Since they´re two years old they probably put things into their mouths sometimes, so I would not buy figures whose paint rubs or chips off easily and can be swallowed.
Bullyland chips off quite easily for instance.

They must not have any sharp parts such as the Eofauna Atlasaurus´ front paw claw.

And they must not be too heavy when they fall off a desk on the child´s head, so I wouldn´t consider Schleich Apatosaurus for instance an appropriate toy for 2 year old children.

Anna Lee

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on September 21, 2020, 09:58:31 AM
I'd agree with avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, I'm no expert on kids but I think for a 2 year old a stuffed toy would probably be the least risky choice. And once they grow a bit older you can maybe get them some Safari ones, they're always great!
yes, maybe it's too early for her ;D

Anna Lee

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 21, 2020, 12:16:14 PM
The most important thing is to buy from a manufacturer you know the origins of, and whose figures are marked "CE" meaning they're safe. Buying a plush or soft toy can end up putting children in (a lot) more danger than a regular hard plastic toy if you end up buying a cheap bootleg one made of toxic materials, as those soft materials can be chewed on more easily.
:o toxic materials is too bad. I'll notice "CE", thank you so much.

Anna Lee

Quote from: Gwangi on September 21, 2020, 01:31:04 PM
To echo what Stargate said, also beware of older toys that may contain lead. The toy dinosaurs I grew up playing with, as it turns out, were NOT safe for kids.

As an example, I had this Larami Brachiosaurus as a kid. These old toys are still around, at daycare centers, garage sales, eBay toy lots. So although they're old they are still readily available. If you buy used toys then be careful.
https://tamararubin.com/2019/04/larami-toys-brachiosaurus-toy-dinosaur-2213-ppm-lead-2721-ppm-antimony-this-toy-is-not-safe-for-children-would-be-illegal-if-made-today/

Most toys by Safari and other modern companies are rated for 3+ and although they have pointy bits they're still safe with supervised play. They also work under modern industry safety standards. So I would recommend toys by Safari, CollectA, Mojo, Schleich, etc.. My daughter is 5 and her favorite dinosaur toys are usually smaller ones, like Safari toob toys but those might be too small for your kids. The Mattel Jurassic World action figures are also popular around here and a lot of fun for kids.
Thanks for your advise, Gwangi. It's very helpful. ^-^

Anna Lee

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 21, 2020, 01:37:07 PM
It´s probably utopian to find a toy that has not been produced with lots of help from child labour by children only slightly older than your kids. 
So I´d first and foremost ask you not to buy any dinosaur toys at all if you  don´t want to blur your moral footprint on Earth. But this is a touchy issue. Where to start? Where to draw the line?

Since they´re two years old they probably put things into their mouths sometimes, so I would not buy figures whose paint rubs or chips off easily and can be swallowed.
Bullyland chips off quite easily for instance.

They must not have any sharp parts such as the Eofauna Atlasaurus´ front paw claw.

And they must not be too heavy when they fall off a desk on the child´s head, so I wouldn´t consider Schleich Apatosaurus for instance an appropriate toy for 2 year old children.
sorry for hear that there are still toy production with lots of help from child labour by children. I hope it'll end one day. Thank you for your kindly suggestion.

Shonisaurus

Buy dinosaur toys from recognized brands and never imitations since these toys are usually made of defective and toxic material. I recommend stuffed animals for your 2-year-old children, they are the most recommended and above all as I already mentioned that they do not have any small parts or that they are removable. They are also recommended rubber dinosaurs that they sell in some pharmacies. I saw one of a chasmosaurus that ideal for small children in the bathroom and in one piece.

But honestly it is more recommended plush figures. Especially when you go to an online or physical store, ask the seller if the dinosaur you buy is suitable for a two-year-old child, he will be able to guide you, especially if it belongs to a recognized store in the toy market.

Anna Lee

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 26, 2020, 10:20:41 AM
Buy dinosaur toys from recognized brands and never imitations since these toys are usually made of defective and toxic material. I recommend stuffed animals for your 2-year-old children, they are the most recommended and above all as I already mentioned that they do not have any small parts or that they are removable. They are also recommended rubber dinosaurs that they sell in some pharmacies. I saw one of a chasmosaurus that ideal for small children in the bathroom and in one piece.

But honestly it is more recommended plush figures. Especially when you go to an online or physical store, ask the seller if the dinosaur you buy is suitable for a two-year-old child, he will be able to guide you, especially if it belongs to a recognized store in the toy market.
Ok, got it. try safety and plush

Halichoeres

For young children I specifically recommend the Safari Ltd "Great Dinos" line, although a couple are somewhat outdated:

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/great-dinos/size_extra-large

and the Favorite vinyl line:

https://f-favorite.net/collections/dinosaur_vinylmodel
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Anna Lee

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 26, 2020, 02:35:45 PM
For young children I specifically recommend the Safari Ltd "Great Dinos" line, although a couple are somewhat outdated:

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/great-dinos/size_extra-large

and the Favorite vinyl line:

https://f-favorite.net/collections/dinosaur_vinylmodel

Great dino toys. Thank you for your suggestion. ;)

Anna Lee

Quote from: Stolpergeist on September 26, 2020, 05:16:37 PM
Ohh I haven't kept up with the vinyl model releases, the Diplodocus and Quetzalcoatlus look really fun, great to see these larger versions as well.
Yes, fun toys. larger will impressive and shock. :))

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.