News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2021

Started by Dinoxels, September 24, 2020, 10:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoxels

Ceratosaurus

Kaprosuchus

Pachycephalosaurus

Brontosaurus

Mosasaurus

Jetpack Training Set

Attack from the Air
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Flaffy

At least none of these are outrageously bad... save for the mosasaur.

A mildly adequate year from Schleich,, I guess.

DragonRider02

Oh God. They all look so awkward and unnatural.

Loon

That Mosasaurus looks familiar...

Dinoxels

The only one of these I am going to get is the Kaprosuchus. Besides the garbage Mosasaurus, the others are okay kid's toys.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

MLMjp

Not bad.

Except that Meuse lizard of course.

suspsy

The Kaprosuchus doesn't look too bad.

The rest definitely look too bad.

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Loon

I had to...

Shonisaurus

The Schleich figures are within the acceptable range except for the mosasaurus.

Schleich's ceratosaurus 2021 the colors of the figure quite realistic. Attractive sculpture but the eye is humanized nonetheless. The positive thing is that the figure is detailed and the sculpture is proportionate, it leaves its old ceratosaurus at the Humbold Museum in Berlin at the level of shame, its wrists do not suffer from pronatism but nevertheless said figure is kept in a tripod position with its tail.

The kaprosuchus looks great in its sculpture but somewhat static, the teeth are not as detailed as their Safari and Papo counterparts and what I don't think is entirely well sculpted is the top of the head where the eye is barely visible it is generally a good figure but not as pretty as other brands.

The pachycephalosaurus sculpture is quite realistic and the paint colors quite good, detailed figure and the figure seen in dynamic position is perhaps the best Schleich figure of this year comparable in genius to its dracorex counterpart. What perhaps spoils the figure is the slight pronation of the figure's right wrist, the dome perhaps a bit reduced, and a slightly more angular face than I like the pachycephalosaurus to have.

Schleich's brontosaurus, the figure is fine in terms of its claws, the front claws are perfect, the figure's colors are a bit boring and reminiscent of its Barlin counterpart Apatosaurus Humold (when it comes to painting) I can't comment much since this figure cannot be appreciated the head and in all quality the figure but perhaps Schleich could have further polished the legs and the body of said sauropod so that it was a figure of authentic registration of honor. In general, the figure is more than acceptable and even quite good, but it is not at the same level of genius as that of other brontosaurus and apatosaurus from other brands, although as I have already pointed out it is very hasty to give an opinion since the figure does not look good enough .

Schleich's mosasaurus is perhaps the weakest of the group, it reminds me of a somewhat "retro" figure of a prehistoric marine animal, the head is perhaps the weakest of the figure, especially those humanized teeth. This figure is intended rather for a purely child audience. The colors of the body of this figure are beautiful but too garish they remind me of the beautiful coral fish (in terms of color). Overall the body is well sculpted although it could be even more detailed. The spikes on the back remind me a bit of the "retro" marine reptiles that illustrated my books as a child and adolescent. What we do not know when this figure will measure, I hope it is a figure that fits a little more than I imagine.

In general, the figures have surprised me by their high quality and I thought they could be figures more intended for children. In all fairness Schleich could improve when it comes to sculpting his figures but honestly he's pretty good on pachycephalosaurus and even his kaprosuchus and ceratosaurus. In general, it is a good year for Schleich although it could have been much better from my honest point of view, although I am aware that due to the very affordable price of the figures and taking into account that Schleich is a company aimed more at children than collectors not we can demand. Honestly, the figure that is a complete collection is by far Schleich's pachycephalosaurus, which is at the same level of genius as its dracorex counterpart.

Honestly, the Schleich 2021 figure set is far superior to its 2020 figure counterpart. I understand that Schleich have improved their figures a lot compared to last year and that is a positive data to take into account.

Even so, I have the full conviction that Schleich can make figures much superior and better than those he does today, although it must be said that Schleich has improved a lot compared to his last year. Cheer up Schleich !!!!!

Szajmin

I dont know, but i kinda like that mosasaurus.

I like the tail, the proportions are off for mosasaurus, but idk its looks like a some real animal to me, and not JP copy (maybe just the spikes).

Kaprosuchus is way better than expected. But the head (or just the eye) is hmm a little bit cartoonish.
Ceratosaurus is ok (again way better than expected), the arms could be in better position
Brontosaurus is generic, but not bad
Pachycephalosaurus, the it looks that the wrist are in worse position than on Ceratosaurus, so pass for me.

Way better that the 2020 line.

PrimevalRaptor

Well those are...certainly something.
The Ceratosaurus is pretty nice apart from the (I think) too long arms and the kinda odd pose, like the colors a lot, might pick it up.
Like the Kaprosuchus quite a bit too, though I'll stick with the Safari and Papo ones most likely, like the pose though.
Brontosaurus seems to have correct feet at least? Gonna need more angles for a better assessment here though, colors are also really boring. There seems to be a trend with Schleich giving figures a base paint and then just a few stripes it seems, kinda sad.
The Mosasaurus...is special for sure. On one hand I like the bulk (and hey it has a tail fin at least) and it may pass of for a sort of decent Plotosaurus even, but...something about it just seems odd and I wish they'd left out the spikes, guess we can blame JW for those.
Oh yeah and the Pachy does fit with the Dracorex (down to the pronated hands...) but the head looks a bit weird, probably just the angle though.

Szajmin

I now wonder what would happen if they the Mosasaurus a Plotosaurus.

Maybe the opinion would be "maybe it pick it up, such obscure species, nice choice, not great but decent figure" :P

Loon

Quote from: Szajmin on September 24, 2020, 12:32:40 PM
I now wonder what would happen if they the Mosasaurus a Plotosaurus.

Maybe the opinion would be "maybe it pick it up, such obscure species, nice choice, not great but decent figure" :P

I really don't see how it looks more like a Plotosaurus. There's a mount of it near me at the LA NHM, and it doesn't look anything like this cryptid.

PrimevalRaptor

I said it could pass off as one since it does look a bit more deep-bodied, but that wasn't really me trying to argue for it.

Like if it was a bit more straightened out and had a bit of a shorter neck it could sort of work (but that's a bit of a stretch of course).
For what it's worth, the texture on this one is much better than on their Plesiosaurus.

Loon

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on September 24, 2020, 12:51:55 PM
I said it could pass off as one since it does look a bit more deep-bodied, but that wasn't really me trying to argue for it.

Like if it was a bit more straightened out and had a bit of a shorter neck it could sort of work (but that's a bit of a stretch of course).
For what it's worth, the texture on this one is much better than on their Plesiosaurus.

Makes me wonder what they used as reference. I could definitely see that being one of their sources. Those behind the scenes videos have shown their research isn't the most thorough.  But still, this figure is just the ugliest thing. It might even give the Papo Mosasaur a run for it's money.

Loon

Quote from: Stolpergeist on September 24, 2020, 12:55:28 PM
The Mosasaurus could also be worse of course, they could have went with the retro tail like on the micro version they had earlier.
The one part that really bothers me is that the tail looks noodly thin in the photo but I still hope it may just be the angle and then again better than the one Safari Ltd. had for a while and no weird shrink-wrapping on the head like on CollectA's version.

It's unfortunate that Mosasaurus itself really doesn't have a good figure yet, outside of the Kaiyodo from last year.

PrimevalRaptor

Wouldn't be surprised if they used something similar as a reference, though if they did I wish they did kept the pose and not make it so noodly (though that makes it look like one of those sea monsters on old maps).
Guess we'll see when we got more images, I remember the Postosuchus looked better in hand. Still a far cry from the Carnegie and Safari Tylosaurus though.

You'd think especially M.hoffmanni would get some love for it's size alone.
Though personally I think the CollectA is fairly good.

PrimevalRaptor

Yeah the head exactly bothered me a lot but it's just really nice in hand (even if the colors couuuuld be a less muddy, though at least the texturing and all feels better than on the Baryonyx, I'm still sad about that one.)

Gwangi

The Kaprosuchus is the best of the lot, but I'm still quite happy with the one I have by Safari. The rest range from mediocre at best to absolutely horrid at worst.

suspsy

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, shall we establish an official "New for 2021" section?
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.