News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2021

Started by Dinoxels, September 24, 2020, 10:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on September 24, 2020, 01:11:31 PM
avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, shall we establish an official "New for 2021" section?

Done, and I moved this topic there.  C:-)

GojiraGuy1954

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the mosa. Not realistic in the slightest but the aesthetic looks alright
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

terrorchicken

Loon

I'm just waiting for the day Schleich makes a Xiphactinus that looks like a sea monk.

Nimravus

Awful all of them without exception  :'(,  I expected nothing and nothing is what  they will get from me.

suspsy

Quote from: Loon on September 24, 2020, 10:42:46 PM
I'm just waiting for the day Schleich makes a Xiphactinus that looks like a sea monk.

I would totally buy a Sea Monk figure.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Szajmin

I have a question about Ceratosaurus pose.
It is possible for dinosaur to make that pose?
Or it is anatomically impossible for tail to touch ground that way?

Irritation

Quote from: Szajmin on September 24, 2020, 11:09:51 PM
I have a question about Ceratosaurus pose.
It is possible for dinosaur to make that pose?
Or it is anatomically impossible for tail to touch ground that way?
I think with recent studies, it might not be the case if the dinosaur is standing on its two legs unless it's lying down.

paintingdinos

Mmmm, happy about the Kaprosuchus. This is the only one I was interested in and it ended up quite nice.

Libraraptor

No real must have for me among those new figures.

Cretaceous Crab

Meh....another swing-and-a-miss with most of these. The Kaprosuchus is probably the best one out of the bunch, but I still like my Safari LTD one better.

The pachy looks like they just put a different head on the Dracorex's body.

The Ceratosaurus seems to be a detailed cheapasaur.

The Brontosaurus appears to be par for the course with Schleich's more recent sauropods.

The debate of its accuracy aside, the mosasaurus just looks...unappealing.

SidB

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 25, 2020, 11:13:32 AM
No real must have for me among those new figures.
Me too, for the second year in a row.

bmathison1972

The Kaprosuchus doesn't look bad, but I prefer, and already have, the Safari version.

Since I started adding dinosaurs to my Synoptic Collection, 99% of them are Safari figures by avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson anyway (his style is by far my favorite), so probably wouldn't get this anyway. The only Schleich 'dino' I have is the Dinogorgon, and that's only because I have a preference for therapsids among extinct vertebrates and it's an obscure taxon for a toy.

Sarapaurolophus

I thought Pachycephalo was Dracorex for a hot second. Nothing interesting for me here.

ItsTwentyBelow

The Kaprosuchus is not at all bad, I might pick that one up because I fully expect to see it in person at Fred Meyer, where I can size it up better. Leaps and bounds better than that awful "Postosuchus" from last year, which I've passed up on the shelf many times and will continue to do so.

Funny enough, just yesterday I purchased the Papo Kaprosuchus in person.

The rest of these Schleich figures are MEH!

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Well... I really liked the figures! That's it!

TethysaurusUK

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on September 24, 2020, 12:51:55 PM
I said it could pass off as one since it does look a bit more deep-bodied, but that wasn't really me trying to argue for it.

Like if it was a bit more straightened out and had a bit of a shorter neck it could sort of work (but that's a bit of a stretch of course).
For what it's worth, the texture on this one is much better than on their Plesiosaurus.

If the skull was longer like an Ichthyosaur and bore the more shark-like paddles, then it would be a decent Plotosaurus bennisoni

TethysaurusUK

The Mosasaurus I would say actually resembles the russellosaurian plioplatecarpine Platecarpus tympaniticus. Especially the specimen LACM 128319 from the Lindgren et al. (2010) fame. If you destreamline the cervical region on the reconstruction from below, reduce the size of the paddles and slightly exaggerate the ventral lobe on the tail; then you would have something similar to the Schleich figure.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platecarpus#/media/File:Platecarpus_tympaniticus.png
-  Lindgren, J.; Caldwell, M.W.; Konishi, T.; Chiappe, L.M. (2010). Farke, Andrew Allen (ed.). "Convergent Evolution in Aquatic Tetrapods: Insights from an Exceptional Fossil Mosasaur". PLoS ONE. 5, 8: e11998.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platecarpus#/media/File:Skeletal_reconstruction_and_inferred_body_outline_of_Platecarpus.png

SidB

An interesting observation indeed. I wonder what the likelihood is that the Schleich artist actually looked at this material?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.