News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2021

Started by Dinoxels, September 24, 2020, 10:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Platecarpus isn't particularly obscure, and was if anything more popular in decades past. I wouldn't say it's impossible that's what they happened to reference and just named it a generic mosasaur, but it could just as easily be they referenced Jurassic World and then tried to make it look distinct from that.

TethysaurusUK

Quote from: SidB on October 02, 2020, 11:40:22 AM
An interesting observation indeed. I wonder what the likelihood is that the Schleich artist actually looked at this material?

I highly doubt they actually used this taxon and specimen as their reference. I am trying to turn the lemons of Mosasaurus into the lemonade of Platecarpus. As a revamped 1960's Platecarpus (with the de-streamlined head and neck from older reconstructions with the more modern tail reconstruction.

TethysaurusUK

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 02, 2020, 02:23:48 PM
Platecarpus isn't particularly obscure, and was if anything more popular in decades past. I wouldn't say it's impossible that's what they happened to reference and just named it a generic mosasaur, but it could just as easily be they referenced Jurassic World and then tried to make it look distinct from that.

I do agree with you there. My point was more to try and turn the Mosasaurus lemon into Platecarpus lemonade, not identify possible references. It just so happens that it bears more of a resemblance to Platecarpus than Mosasaurus.

Wandering

Wow I feel like each imagine in that line up reflects the quality of each model in descending order... from great to not so great...  :P I feel like it's been for ever since Shleich released a Cerata... and I can't remember if they ever did a Packy or not...

Loon

You know, I gotta appreciate that Brontosaurus for being such a blatant homage to this piece by John Conway  ;)

MLMjp

THAT is a Brotosaurus? More like a ball-saurus.

Wandering

The Ceratosaurus doesn't seem so bad to me, honestly.

Shonisaurus

Honestly, the pachycephalosaurus is a figure that is within the best fit, within the quality standards of Schleich, it can keep a dracorex of the same brand company, although obviously that dracorex is much superior in quality to its pachycephalosaurus counterpart, taking into account Note that the dracorex is a figure prior to Schleich's production with respect to the pachycephalosaurus which is a novelty for 2021. Perhaps having said figure physically and most importantly with new promotional photographs can change my opinion towards said figure and can become a more opinion favorable. But what has been said about said figure a somewhat angular head, and the slight pronation of the wrists of the hands next to the excessively large feet of the legs make said figure have negative things although I affirm that it is for me one of the strong figures o rather strong bets from Schleich this year 2021.

Nor can I demand much from a Schleich figure taking into account its incredible price and the material used to make said figure, and also taking into account the brand's own artistic license and most importantly that it is not a brand intended for collectors but is primarily intended for a younger audience. It would be too much to ask.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 09, 2020, 09:41:19 AM
I feel like the Pachycephalosaurus might be another one of those cases where Schleich just took the photo from a bad angle and it actually looks way better in hand, similar examples being their recent male grizzly bear and their Postosuchus.
It is after all from the one regularly employed sculptor they have for their dinosaur section who does incredible work compared to the rest, including the fantastic Dracorex along with the "juvenile" Giganotosaurus, Diabloceratops and the Conquering the Earth tyrannosaurs.

I think that may be it. In many figures of dinosaurs, if not the majority, the initial promotional photos and in general the totality of the photographs do not do them justice, being better to see these figures physically. Collector's and promotional photos and videos honestly distort the real picture even if they are great videos and great photos. I am hopeful that the pachycephalosaurus is much better than I imagine. In December I will buy it at the Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid and then I will be able to comment. But I honestly think it is much better than promotional photos.

Arctinus

Someone posted a photo of their pachy in a FB group (not sure how they got it already):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/122736821094977/permalink/3492848537417105/

Mind you, it's a closed group, so you'll have to request invitation if you're not a member already. Besides, the photo is very similar to the one on the first page, except that it has the Schleich tag.

EDIT: My bad, the pachy doesn't have the tag, only the vulture and the fennec fox do.

Arctinus

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 09, 2020, 10:25:52 AM
avatar_Arctinus @Arctinus Don't want to join, can you describe in words what the photo shows?
Is the law angular or not?
Also how did this person already receive them, or was it a photo from a convention thing?

Will send you a PM. :D Though, the jaw does seem angular to me, like in the promo photo.  ???

Arctinus

The colours really do look more vivid.  :D Someone also commented if the poster could take a pic at another angle, but I guess they didn't see that post.

bmathison1972

Not sure if these have been highlighted yet for 2021:

Jetpack tracking set

Attack from the Air

Primeval12

Faelrin

Yeah those pterosaurs look pretty good. Still a few issues like shrinkwrapping, and maybe lack of pycnofibers (hard for me to tell) but a step up from their Pteranodon released last year/2019.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Those pterosaurus are outstanding, one is the tapejara and the other? I'm not sure what species the one with the rounded crest belongs to. Unfortunately I suppose considering the photographs that one will have to buy the entire package including the helicopter and the characters included in both photographs. I would sincerely like Schleich to sell it independently of the additional figures. That is, they sold only pterosaurs. Honestly, in my case I am not interested in those pretty figures, but in my case only interesting for a younger audience and not for an adult as is my case.

From their size they seem to me to be even smaller in size than Schleich's pteranodon. They are just my personal opinions and simple assumptions.

Ikessauro

The actual Pachycephalosaurus, in case someone here doesn't have Facebook. I agree, the jaw looks pretty bad.

Shonisaurus

DragonRider02

Those pterosaurs look really good, especially for Schleich (and compared to their previous two attempts...) I absolutely love the colors on that Tapejara!
BUT! I am really pissed off I will have to get an entire set with those terrible human figures just to get them! And Most toy stores don't even stock those Schleich playsets, so I will have to get them online  >:(

Ikessauro

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 09, 2020, 03:27:13 PM
avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro I don't see the photograph.

I see it just fine here. Is it still not showing?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.