News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: MLMjp on October 05, 2020, 07:45:20 PM
If these are the actual measurements for the Spinosaurus then I am not interested anymore...
https://store.safariltd.com/products/2021-prehistoric-world-3?_pos=8&_sid=89649a357&_ss=r
QuoteSize in cm: 23.5 L x 5.08 W x 7.94 H
Size in inches: 9.25 L x 2.0 W x 3.13 H
UPC: 095866005887

If those are indeed the actual measurements for the Spinosaurus, then I am very interested, as a toy that size would be easier to squeeze into my theropod display!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: Wandering on October 05, 2020, 07:17:46 PM
[...] I'm not sure if the last guy is a tyrannosaur, but if it is Daspletosaurus seems like the best bet, especially since Daspletosaurus was another Carnegie figure. [...]

Daspletosaurus isn't in the Carnegie Collection.  Perhaps you're thinking of the Albertosaurus?

Faelrin

What scale would those dimensions put this possible Spinosaurus at? I would much prefer a 1:35-1:40 scale one for my collection, then anything below that really, even if this were to be the most up to date rendition yet.

Edit: Assuming the other two are Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx, anyone have ideas on scale for those as well based on the dimensions on the website for them?

Are they really all below 1:40?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

I suppose that with respect to the supposed carnivorous dinosaurs they have reduced the size and prices for economic reasons and also because the situation of the coronavirus pandemic has put them in an economically compromised situation like almost all the companies in the world. Safari was not going to be the exception, it is my assumption or interpretation, not an assertion.

Irritation

This is interesting. Safari's doing a similar reveal tactic as 2017. Also, the "Fantasy Dinosaurs" could be ones based off of the Dino Dana series since Safari Ltd is cooperating with that franchise. The only reason they're labeled as fantasy figures is because they're not paleontologically accurate.

Jose S.M.

Pretty weird if they made Spinosaurus that size, not very surprised about the other ones but Spino I would think they would make it 1:35 again to measure up with the Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus. Maybe is to not completely kill the swimming one yet? I'll still get it if I like how it looks, despite it's size (if it's correct)

PrimevalRaptor

A Daspletosaurus would be very welcome, I recently remarked we still need a definite version of it (and wouldn't mind feathers but we shall see) and it would allow to incorporate the new research on facial tissue for Daspletosaurus.
Baryonyx is really nice as well, loved the Carnegie one but we still need a great one (guess that means no need to get the Schleich after all :P).
Didn't get the 2019 Spinosaurus cause I didn't like the texture that much, here's to hoping this is better. It does seem that the hind legs are positioned a bit different as well, should be nice for the members who disliked the pose.

I do hope those aren't all though, kinda missing a herbivore (okay and I am also still hoping for Plateosaurus).

Jose S.M.

I also don't think this is all they will do. They revealed 3 wildlife figures and 3 fantasy ones ( the dinos plus a dragon) and nothing for the other lines they have.

suspsy

So . . . who else strongly suspects that both Safari and CollectA have a new Spinosaurus in store for 2021?

As for Daspletosaurus, that would be wonderful. The only one I presently own is the goofy but endearing CollectA version. There's also going to be the one from Beasts of the Mesozoic, but that could well end up being a 2022 release.

I hope these are the only three theropods in the 2021 assortment. I'd like to see more plant eaters.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Faelrin on October 05, 2020, 06:18:05 PM
Like others are saying, it's incredible to see a new Spinosaurus this fast. While I do wonder if it is a modified version of the 2019 one, it also looks to be standing so possibly a new sculpt entirely?

I remember Doug answering a question, if he would do a new Spinosaurus, and he said he likes his Sculpt and would just remodel it, but maybe Safari had other Plans. Or it is a modified, smaller Cast of the last one. I would love it. Also the smaller size. And hopefully a new Paintjob. Sadly, i really do not like the last Paintjob on the current Spinosaurus.

The two "fantasy" Figures seem to be Retro Tysannosaurus and Triceratops, i would guess. Baryonyx would be okay, but i would have loved an Ichthyovenator or Irritator. But we'll see.
Daspleto makes sense to mee, too. On the other Hand i would love to see a new Yutyrannus.

CityRaptor

Going by silhouettes he two Fantasy ones do not seem to be particularily Retro.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

If these are the actual measurements for the Spinosaurus then I am not interested anymore... And that would explain the low price...
https://store.safariltd.com/products/2021-prehistoric-world-3?_pos=8&_sid=89649a357&_ss=r
QuoteSize in cm: 23.5 L x 5.08 W x 7.94 H
Size in inches: 9.25 L x 2.0 W x 3.13 H

And the others don´t look that promising also...
Supposed Daspletosaurus
QuoteSize in cm: 22.02 L x 4.57 W x 11.18 H
Size in inches: 8.67 L x 1.8 W x 4.4 H
Supposed Baryonyx
QuoteSize in cm: 23.5 L x 5.72 W x 9.21 H
Size in inches: 9.25 L x 2.25 W x 3.63 H

They are all smaller that 1:40! :'(

By my calculations, if the two figures are Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx they are roughly 1:40 once you take into account curves in the tail and the head being raised up.

I hope this isn't all Safari's releasing for their prehistoric line.  I'd be happy with a Daspletosaurus I think, but I already have the Favorite Baryonyx which I like very much so I don't need another Baryonyx (if it is one) and I have no interest in the Spinosaurus.  I'm still hoping for Herrerasaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Saurornithoides, Rhamphorhynchus and Plateosaurus!

terrorchicken

Quote from: Loon on October 05, 2020, 06:52:58 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 05, 2020, 06:48:39 PM
They are playing with the Safari fans like the cat with the mouse...

I'm sorry... I had too...

eww, is that from that awful Cats movie?  :P

Im curious about the baryonyx, I only have the old green Carnegie one, and never was able to get the Invicta or more recent Favorite version. Ive been thinking of getting the smaller Collecta one but Ill see what this one looks like first. I hope the tyrannosaur isnt a t-rex but it very likely could be a less feathered Rex.

anyone know what the toob figures under the leopard/jaguar could be? The other toob seems to be a remake of the Rain Forest toob and the third toob seems to be humans of some sort.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 05, 2020, 10:05:30 PM
Quote from: Loon on October 05, 2020, 06:52:58 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 05, 2020, 06:48:39 PM
They are playing with the Safari fans like the cat with the mouse...

I'm sorry... I had too...

eww, is that from that awful Cats movie?  :P

Im curious about the baryonyx, I only have the old green Carnegie one, and never was able to get the Invicta or more recent Favorite version. Ive been thinking of getting the smaller Collecta one but Ill see what this one looks like first. I hope the tyrannosaur isnt a t-rex but it very likely could be a less feathered Rex.

anyone know what the toob figures under the leopard/jaguar could be? The other toob seems to be a remake of the Rain Forest toob and the third toob seems to be humans of some sort.
I wonder what dogs look like in that movie *shudders*

Pachyrhinosaurus

These look good so far. I'm also hoping for daspletosaurus and baryonyx. The spinosaurus may seem a bit small, but if it was sculpted after the new paper came out about the tail then it was a fast turnaround.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 05, 2020, 09:59:14 PM
Going by silhouettes he two Fantasy ones do not seem to be particularily Retro.

Thats true. I thought of the Dinosaurs in my 90s Kidsbooks. Like a Schleich Figure. Maybe just a more toyisch appearance.

triceratops83

I think it's more likely that's an Albertosaurus, since the Carnegie's due for a remake.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Wandering

Quote from: Sim on October 05, 2020, 08:03:09 PM
Quote from: Wandering on October 05, 2020, 07:17:46 PM
[...] I'm not sure if the last guy is a tyrannosaur, but if it is Daspletosaurus seems like the best bet, especially since Daspletosaurus was another Carnegie figure. [...]

Daspletosaurus isn't in the Carnegie Collection.  Perhaps you're thinking of the Albertosaurus?

Ooh yeah your right! I have the model right here on my shelf and I constantly call it a Despletosaurus for some reason... maybe because it reminds me of the Despletosaurus From that old dinosaur planet documentary on discovery...  :-\

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Sim on October 05, 2020, 10:03:02 PM
Supposed Daspletosaurus
Supposed Baryonyx

By my calculations, if the two figures are Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx they are roughly 1:40 once you take into account curves in the tail and the head being raised up.

Yeah, I was going to say, those sound just about right for approximately 1:40 scale.
I love the possibility of a Daspletosaurus! I just hope we finally get a Centrosaurus figure to go with it. I've been wishing for one for years. I want to round out my collection of classic Late Cretaceous creatures!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 06, 2020, 04:58:19 AM
Quote from: Sim on October 05, 2020, 10:03:02 PM
Supposed Daspletosaurus
Supposed Baryonyx

Yeah, I was going to say, those sound just about right for approximately 1:40 scale.
I love the possibility of a Daspletosaurus! I just hope we finally get a Centrosaurus figure to go with it. I've been wishing for one for years. I want to round out my collection of classic Late Cretaceous creatures!

A daspletosaurus torosus or albertosaurus sarcophagus by Safari would be welcome and highly desired figures from my personal point of view.

I would also like a paraceratherium and a centrosaurus to give two examples. Perhaps Safari will one day fulfill those wishes.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.