News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Sinclair Oil 'Dinoland'/Boston Museum Of Science T.rex by Rookie Dino Creations!

Started by Over9K, October 22, 2020, 01:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

In 1978, I met a monster. My parents took me to the Boston Museum of Science for the first time. I vaguely remember a display of medical miracles, hands with injured, or severed thumbs, replaced by toes. My father loved that display of the "Thoes", always his first and favorite stop in the museum.

I however, would be forever changed by something displayed deep within the Museum, a life-size statue of the King of the Cretaceous, Tyrannosaurus rex.

This was the old school version of T. rex, fat, upright, dragging his tail, with his enormous gaping jaws 20 feet or more above my 5 year old head. The display even afforded one a view directly into the maw of the monster, via a second floor balcony overlooking the beast. I was totally, and completely converted to The Church Of The Mesozoic at that moment, forever a devotee of the Tyrannosaur. Compelling and terrifying, sometimes even appearing in my nightmares, yet somehow alluring, this dinosaur changed my life forever.

I learned many years later that this statue was in fact, one of many displayed in museums and public parks and roadside attractions across this country, and even the world. The original Tyrannosaurus had been created by the Sinclair Oil Company for the 1964 World's Fair, one of over a dozen species the oil company created for their "Dinoland" display. After the Fair, Sinclair had toured their dinosaurs, and in the late 60's and early 70's had begun making copies for museums and organizations.

My Tyrannosaurus, or Boston's Tyrannosaurus, had arrived in 1972, and just a few years later, I would meet him.

I have always wanted my own Sinclair Tyrannosaurus, but to date, there has never been an accurate representation available for purchase.
I decided that, if I couldn't buy one, then I would have one made just for me. I sought out a sculptor, and one was recommended to me on Facebook.
Rookie Dino Creations (link below) is that artist. We discussed the project, gathered reference materials, and entered into a commission to have this model created.

The process took 2 months from our first discussions to completion, and R.D.C. made this process very, very collaborative and fun. I very much felt part of the process and every step was discussed between us. He wanted to make sure that I got exactly what I had envisioned. Oh boy, did I.
Rookie Dino Creations exceeded my expectations for this model. I truly feel as if I shrank the real one down and secreted it home in my pocket. I moved away from New England years ago, and it has been over 20 years since I stood at the foot of the Boston Sinclair, but tonight, I feel very close to him.

I would like to thank Rookie Dino Creations. Samuel, you have captured a memory and made it real. I absolutely love the finished statue, and it has immediately become the centerpiece of my collection, my favorite piece. It is and will be cherished.

If you would like to commission your own memory made real, contact Rookie Dino Creations, on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Rookie-Dino-creations-107728890766486

I would also like to thank The Boston Museum of Science, for always being there, sharing, teaching and firing the imagination of New England's children.

If you live in New England, and have never been to the Boston Museum of Science, please visit them when possible, support them, and most of all love them. They are truly one of Boston's iconic assets.

https://www.facebook.com/museumofscience

Ladies and Gentlemen... Tyrannosaurus rex, King of the Cretaceous!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Shonisaurus

Get scared. That eye without pupil and that look looks like a zombie dinosaur. I can't wait to see that figure.

Over9K

Blade-of-the-Moon

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.