News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Another dinosaur line from Mattel

Started by Halichoeres, October 23, 2020, 03:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

postsaurischian

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

CityRaptor

Guess that would be some sort of Flintstones setting...So would Tyrasaurus count as a case of a feathered Tyrannosaur figure?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Faelrin

Lol I mean it counts technically right? I won't lie though I got hyped for a second thinking it was a new Dino Rider's line. Too bad though. However I did know about this from following them on instagram. The critters are cute even if far from accurate takes.

The plesiosaur here is possibly the nicest of the bunch though I do question the hair added to it.

https://shop.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ms/cave-club/​cave-club-dino-baby-crystals-surprise-pet-gnl97

Of course I have no need or plans to pick any of this up (though I know my nieces would enjoy them for sure), plus Mattel gets more then enough of my money with their Jurassic World line as it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Some of you need to calm down. These are literally no worse than 90% of the Jurassic line and definitely a lot more appealing than those lame-ass Zuru eggs or whatever. I can see a lot of things that little kids will like about these, especially the slime. Literally all the little girls at my work are in love with slime. At least I now know what this line is called, so I don't get scolded by a 6 year old for accidentally calling them Bratz.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

Personally I'm of the mindset that things can be cute without being quite so extremely stylized, so ultimately I'm not much of a fan. In particular I don't like how they're stylized to look heavily humanoid, rather than being stylized to similar degrees to match the art style of the human characters.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 23, 2020, 05:49:02 PM
This theropod looks funny, I like it.

What on earth is that? Long thick tail, wings, a beak? For now I'm ignoring the bouffant as an identifying mark.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

terrorchicken

oh yeah... Cave Club. :)) Im a fashion doll collector so Ive known about these for a while now. As a doll collector I think they're cute, though I dont plan to get any for myself(Ive got other doll lines Im more interested in acquiring right now.) As a fan of all things paleo I hate all the inaccuracy. I mean here we are, 2020, and cavemen living alongside dinosaurs is a meme that still just wont die.

Over9K

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

CityRaptor

Quote from: Faelrin on October 23, 2020, 05:37:49 PM
https://shop.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ms/cave-club/​cave-club-dino-baby-crystals-surprise-pet-gnl97

Is one of those pets a rock? Just imagine kids opening those:
"I got a T.rex!"
"I got a Triceratops!"
"I got a rock!"
Bonus points if you read that last one in Charlie Brown's voice.

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 24, 2020, 04:46:37 AM
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Domestic breed oviraptorosaur that went the pug direction.

You know, that actually would make a lot of sense. There are a lot breeds where the breeders were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 23, 2020, 06:31:03 PM
Also they blend the ever so enforced line of "dolls are for girls, dinosaurs are for boys" some conservative parents seem so obsessed with so that is a huge plus as well.

Yeah, that is one of those annoying things I also see on eBay. Instead of useful information, people write useless stuff like "Dinosaurier Jungen". That is not only not helpfull at all, but also clashes with my opninion that Dinosaurs are for everyone.So while this toyline isn't ideal or something I would collect, it is at least a step in the right direction.

Quote from: Over9K on October 24, 2020, 08:56:39 AM
My Little Ponysaurus! LOL

Does MLP have humans? Googling Ponysaurus also brings up this:
https://www.ponysaurusbrewing.com/

Quote from: Loon on October 23, 2020, 05:54:45 PM
These are literally no worse than 90% of the Jurassic line

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 24, 2020, 01:12:14 AM
I mean here we are, 2020, and cavemen living alongside dinosaurs is a meme that still just wont die.

Welll, it is a Flintstones setting.  But if you think about it, that here is like the girly version of Primal:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

terrorchicken

yeah I think its fine as a fantasy toy line...no different then Dino-riders and the like. As long as its promoted as such and not as something actually meant to be educational.

Speaking of which, Ive also seen toys for a toddler show called Gigantosaurus that reminds me of Good Dinosaur and Dinosaur Train...

https://www.amazon.com/Gigantosaurus-Figures-Giganto-Friends-Action/dp/B07KW9W948

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 24, 2020, 04:46:37 AM
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Domestic breed oviraptorosaur that went the pug direction.

Sounds legit. "Egg raptor" works for it since it's shaped like an egg.

Sarapaurolophus

I was thinking about making a thread about these months ago but didn't want to deal with the boyish vitriol directed at anything "girly". Imo, any line getting girls into dinosaurs and prehistoric stuff is welcome. These also have a comic book.

As a "doll person" I also have to say these have a nice price. Fashion dolls tend to be very expensive for little play value. Some dolls have little no no articulation, can't stand on their own because they are forced to wear stripper stilettos 24/7 and have so much hair even a doll stand might topple over quickly.

These dolls however can stand, come with Flintstones/Croods-inspired pets and playsets small kids can actually play with, not just style and pose the doll and then forget about it on the shelf.

The T.Rex is way too kitschy even for my tastes, and I usually don't mind a bit of kitsch. I used to collect another Mattel doll line, I know what I'm talking about ;D

What I do like is how there is a girl that not only looks a lot like Pebbles, she is also a mechanic and discovered fire (the doll comes with a club that turns into a torch). I'd give this doll to a small child no problem.
Heck, if I had kids they'd get these dolls and comics over the Mattel Jurassic Park figs that are solely about fighting and wounding the animals O:-)

Creature

I definitely would have been into these when I was the target age. Kids can separate fantasy from reality, so no need to be concerned on that account. I was a marine biology obsessed kid who collected the Monterey Bay Aquarium series, but I also super wanted the big pink seahorse that Tropical Splash Barbie rode. No reason to pick sides.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on October 30, 2020, 11:02:55 AM
Imo, any line getting girls into dinosaurs and prehistoric stuff is welcome.

avatar_Sarapaurolophus @Sarapaurolophus great points, especially the one quoted. Certainly these have just as legitimate a claim to being dinosaur toys as any others (maybe even more so in terms of being toys than other collectibles that are often featured here on the forum).

Faelrin

So a new Ceratosaurus, Brachiosaurus or Giraffatitan, and (frill-less) Dilophosaurus. I kind of like the coloration of the Dilophosaurus honestly. I certainly don't expect accuracy with these, but I still am a little perplexed at the design choice of brushable hair on at least the dinosaurs and other reptiles so far. My guess is that it's more fun for the target audience? I suppose I could just ask my twin nieces if I really want to know, assuming they would also have interest in these too.

I also checked out the images for these on the amazon links. A shame the creatures all have seams in the middle of their heads, but maybe that's to fit it better within the price range ($12.99) or maybe it was necessary with the brushable hair.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.