News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2021 (Image Heavy op)

Started by Faelrin, November 29, 2020, 10:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on September 28, 2021, 06:09:20 PM
I'm ecstatic about the Pentaceratops. The legs and tail are a bit wonky looking but the head sculpt is beautiful. The paintjob is serviceable enough, there's no way I want to risk missing out on this one in hopes of a re-paint. That said, I JUST got the Carcharodontosaurus a couple days ago and this new one does have a far superior paintjob. All well.

Yeah, Mattel certainly hasn't released repaints of Tarbosaurus, Siats, or Quetzalcoatlus, have they? I'll probably just get the Pentaceratops when I see it.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

MLMjp

There is no way the head patterns took all the paint budget leaving the body with only those miserable stripes! C´mon Mattel, there are other Mega destroyers with way more paint, so whats the excuse on the Pentaceratops? Just a couple more stripes on the body, at least...

I´m almost tempted to wait for the Carcharodontosaurus repaint because it looks so good...But the original paint job is more "canon" because of JW Evolution...

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on September 29, 2021, 05:52:20 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on September 28, 2021, 06:09:20 PM
I'm ecstatic about the Pentaceratops. The legs and tail are a bit wonky looking but the head sculpt is beautiful. The paintjob is serviceable enough, there's no way I want to risk missing out on this one in hopes of a re-paint. That said, I JUST got the Carcharodontosaurus a couple days ago and this new one does have a far superior paintjob. All well.

Yeah, Mattel certainly hasn't released repaints of Tarbosaurus, Siats, or Quetzalcoatlus, have they? I'll probably just get the Pentaceratops when I see it.

It's weird isn't is? No repaints for those but we already have a Carcharodontosaurus repaint announced.

Faelrin

Tarbosaurus and Siats released just last year, but so did Sarcosuchus which had a repaint that released at the end of the year/beginning of this year. This Carcharodontosaurus is essentially repeating that. Again I wouldn't fret much over the Quetzalcoatlus. We should be sure to get something next year for it, but between the Tarbosaurus, Siats, and Amargasaurus, and now this Pentaceratops, who knows many year(s) it could be to see them re-used again in the line. That also goes for many of the smaller figures such as the Postosuchus, and Scutosaurus.

Here's the new species per year that still don't have any repaints, retools, or repacks:

2018: Microceratus, Pachyrhinosaurus (Sinoceratops)

2019: Dimetrodon (technically a retool, original sculpt canceled in 2018), Nasutoceratops, Amargasaurus, Quetzalcoatlus

2020: Callovosaurus, Ornitholestes, Postosuchus, Scutosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Irritator, Majungasaurus, Siats, Tarbosaurus, Gasosaurus (BD)

2021 (perhaps preemptively...): Zuniceratops, Shringasaurus, Chialingosaurus, Tanystropheus, Ouranosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Pentaceratops, Apatosaurus
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

I can see figures like Dimetrodon and Quetzalcoatlus getting retools/repaints under the Dominion line.

Reuben03

the abysmal dimetrodon needs a resculpt! its one of the best species and the worst figures. hope they sort it out.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

stargatedalek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7gMkrPBhQ

I don't remember if the SS Dimorphs were 2020 or 2021, but this was so effective when I saw the video I figured I'd share it here.

Prehistory Resurrection

https://youtu.be/ZC_aWWBe9lA
Already shared a video on the review of this set earlier, but you can see the comparison between other Monolophosaurus figures from Mattel in this video.

Kotori_Sonoda

Really like playing around with the Mega Destroyers Stegosaurus and Carcharadontosaurus. Making them break out of their restraints is a lot of fun.
Looks wise, I highly prefer the Stegosaurus; I don't have any of the previous Mattel ones but that turned out for the better since I like this new one a lot.
The action feature on the Carcharadontosaurus is a lot more fun though since it can break free from the restraints easier. The snapping action reminds me of the 2018 Carnotaurus, whose action feature is similar.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

MLMjp

Still waiting for my Ray Arnold set to ship to me.

I received an email from mattel creations thinking it was it, but it was just publicity...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on October 07, 2021, 02:22:15 PM

I received an email from mattel creations thinking it was it, but it was just publicity...

The pair I ordered showed up yesterday with no warning at all. My friend a couple counties over also received hers before I did.

MLMjp

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 07, 2021, 03:05:17 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on October 07, 2021, 02:22:15 PM

The pair I ordered showed up yesterday with no warning at all. My friend a couple counties over also received hers before I did.

I hope thats not the case with international orders. If my order is already crossing the Atlantic I want to know it!

And even worse, without a tracking number, I won't be able to get ahead customs and avoid their abussive commissions!  :(

Reuben03

WARNING: SPOILERS! THESE ARE NEW TOY LEAKS!
Spoiler

Some kind of Abelisaurid, apparently Scorpiovenator? i kinda like it!
[close]

Spoiler

A nice little teaser of the awful kaiju looking giga, it's almost like they designed this thing to sell it to kids(!)
[close]

Spoiler

And last but not least, a nice retro kenner looking Vehicle, apparently Biosyns...
[close]
pretty cool stuff! nice to have some new Jurassic stuff to chew on while we wait for new installments to the franchise and JW:E2

what's everyone else's thoughts on these 3?

Lynx

Woah! They're definitely improving. Just look at that beautiful Scorpiovenator sculpt!
I'll also probably buy the Giga if it's under 200$, looks pretty cool.
As for that vehicle... I dunno. Just depends on how it looks in the final pictures.
I'll likely start buying more Mattel now that the prices are getting cheaper with their older figures!
An oversized house cat.

Reuben03

Quote from: Lynx on October 08, 2021, 01:22:30 PM
Woah! They're definitely improving. Just look at that beautiful Scorpiovenator sculpt!
I'll also probably buy the Giga if it's under 200$, looks pretty cool.
As for that vehicle... I dunno. Just depends on how it looks in the final pictures.
I'll likely start buying more Mattel now that the prices are getting cheaper with their older figures!
yeah it's quite nice. i'm not interested in the giga at all but that vehicle is pretty cool!

MLMjp

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.