News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Brontozaurus' collection

Started by Brontozaurus, March 18, 2012, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

New forum, new collection topic, new stuff!!

Okay, so it hasn't changed that much since the old forum days. It's still on the same shelf, with the same things. There are some newcomers to the international section, though, like a few Kaiyodos, Safari Velociraptor, Safari baby Triceratops and Spinosaurus, Carnegie Deinonychus, and some denizens of the Safari Sealife Toob.

Most of the new things have gone into the Australian section, because my collecting efforts of late have been focused on acquiring the Yowies that I was missing.

The crown jewel of the collection, the Queensland Pterosaur from Lost Kingdoms Series A. This figure has an interesting story behind how I got it. I was doing some volunteer work for the Age of Fishes museum in Canowindra, out in rural New South Wales, and I came across an educational kit that was part of the museum exhibit that spawned these yowies. In it were 13 yowies, 3 of which were missing from my collection, and one of which was the pterosaur. Back when Yowies were available on shelves, the Queensland Pterosaur was the holy grail of the line for me. Finding it in a very dusty box blew my mind. Eventually I asked the museum curator about it (she had no idea it was there!) and I asked if I could have the pterosaur. They gave me the entire box! So now I have a heap of spare Yowies, and the collecting bug bit me HARD.

So I tracked down the other missing series A dinosaur (and secondary holy grail), the Australian Allosaurid. It's the orange and blue theropod in the above pics. It's kind of odd, because it feels like it doesn't really belong with the series A guys. I think this might be because it was the only Yowie I never saw in person (a friend got the pterosaur so I knew what it looked like), and I'm so used to not having it that actually having it with the other Yowie dinos is messing with my head.

These four yowies (L-R: Mauisaurus, Kakuru, Ozraptor, New Zealand Mosasaur), all from series B, are my most recent Yowie acquisitions. I feel that the dinosaurs are a bit weaker than the marine reptiles here. Ozraptor's notable for how bizarre its colour scheme is, as well as being able to stand on two feet without resorting to a tripod stance or oversized feet (free-standing bipeds is something Yowie dinosaurs are really good at, by the way. Only three use a tripod stance. The others have somewhat enlarged feet or really good balance). Kakuru is kind of blah despite being a screamingly pink feathered dinosaur-I put this down to the sculpting of the feet and hands, which is a bit lumpy. The Mauisaurus and mosasaur are just delightful. I really like the sprayed-on patterns on both of them, particularly the mosasaur.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Thundercharge

Cool collection!

And I like the big Triceratops wooden puzzle on top of the shelf  ;)
I have the Deinonychus, so the Trike must be pretty huge!

Click sig for my collection! :)

Brontozaurus

The Trike's the biggest skeleton I've got. The Deinonychus actually came in a set of two-one's rearing, the other is crouching. They make a very good fight scene if you display them together.
-Ian Malcolm

Thundercharge

Quote from: Brontozaurus on March 18, 2012, 10:47:08 PM
The Trike's the biggest skeleton I've got. The Deinonychus actually came in a set of two-one's rearing, the other is crouching. They make a very good fight scene if you display them together.
Yeah the set is the one I got. I have them both displayed that way with my raptor display  ;D

Click sig for my collection! :)

ZoPteryx

Really cool collection! :o  Those Yowies are great!

Brontozaurus

Some new guys!

L-R: CollectA Ampelosaurus, Yowie Imperial Ammonite, Miocene Proto-Wombat, Lake Eyre Flamingo, and Murgon Cannibal Frog.

Still figuring out where the Ampelosaurus and Imperial Ammonite are going to fit on the shelf, but for now here's a review of all five of today's acquisitions.

The Ampelosaurus is a thing of beauty. It's one of the best things that CollectA have ever released. So the hands are, as usual, wrong, but the sculpting and colours are just done so very, very well. The fact that this is based off of a piece of palaeoart doesn't hurt it at all. I'd definitely recommend picking it up if you haven't.

Now for the Yowies.

The flamingo is my least favourite mainly because it has issues standing due to a warped leg-I may try and rectify this via warming the plastic. I like the frog because of the colours, since they're rather crisp compared to other yowies. Also, according to the size chart on the leaflet, this model is just about life-size!

The proto-wombat is quite cool thanks to its action mechanism (both pairs of legs move if you move one). The ammonite, which was the main thing I wanted, is an interesting figure. Sadly it cannot stand up by itself, but it's better than I expected it to be-there's even sculpted suckers on its tentacles!
-Ian Malcolm

Libraraptor

As I had already mentioned in verion 1.0, I love your stuffed shelves!

Tylosaurus

Very nice Collection Bronto! I like this shot a lot :)

Brontozaurus

I got three new yowies on Monday!

L-R: Minmi, Hotcrossbunodon (Kollikodon), Ceratopsian Dinosaur (Serendipaceratops)

They're all cool in their own interesting ways, but my favourite is the Kollikodon.

With the addition of those three, I've completed my collection of Yowie dinosaurs (and assorted Cretaceous critters). While it's not in my nature to gloat-oh wait it totally IS. So enjoy some pics of my collection of things you probably don't have.

Now for some pics showing them by the series they were released in.

Series A:

L-R: Dromaeosaur, Flat-headed Amphibian (Siderops), Austrosaurus, Fleet-footed Dinosaur (Fulgurotherium), Muttaburrasaurus, Australian Icthyosaur (Platypterygius), Kronosaurus, Australian Allosaurid, Long-necked Plesiosaur (Wollungasaurus), Queensland Pterosaur (Ornithocheirus), Steropodon, Dawn Bird (Nanatius)

Series B:

L-R: Rapator, Minmi, Eric the Pliosaur (Umoonasaurus), Kakuru, Hotcrossbunodon (Kollikodon), Mauisaurus, Imperial Ammonite (Tropaeum imperator), New Zealand Mosasaur (Rikisaurus), Giant Sea Turtle (Cratochelene), Stegosaur, Timimus, Ceratopsian Dinosaur (Serendipaceratops), Giant Sauropod, Limited Edition Glow in the Dark Giant Sauropod, Ozraptor, Atlascopcosaurus, Giralia Pterosaur

Series C:

L-R: Plateosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Prenocephale, Baryonyx, Chasmosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Edmontonia, Amargasaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Caudipteryx
-Ian Malcolm

Himmapaan

Some of these Yowies are quite surprisingly attractive (and adorable). Even that swan-necked sauropod has its own charm.

Hotcrossbunodon.  ;D So cute.

brontodocus

Lovely! I need to get me the Lost Kingdoms Series B figures, too, eventually! :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Brontozaurus

I want to talk about the ceratopsian dinosaur figures that I've gotten so far this year, because there's a little gathering of them on my computer desk at the moment. Also I just really like ceratopsians ok.

L-R: Safari baby Triceratops, CollectA Utahceratops, Yowie Ceratopsian Dinosaur (Serendipaceratops), CollectA Kosmoceratops and Dead Triceratops, Wild Republic Triceratops, and CollectA Torosaurus.

The baby Triceratops is adorable; I want to get the old adult Triceratops to go with it.

The Serendipaceratops is interesting-it was released before the fossil was formally described (hence the generic name 'ceratopsian'), and it's a good contrast with the Science & Nature version, which is quadrupedal and not nearly as colourful. The Yowie's eyes are quite wonky, though. It's a shame because otherwise I love the little thing.

The CollectAs are just lovely. I think the dead Triceratops is probably my figure of the year, since it's just so unique and well done. Seriously, who would have thought CollectA would have eventually released a lovely detailed corpse! Of particular note is that the Utahceratops and Kosmoceratops are actually somewhat to scale with each other, so it's good to get them both as they form a nice pair.

The Wild Republic Triceratops is an alright figure. If you're going to get a cheapo Triceratops figure you might as well get this one-I got it in a bag of 4 for $15. It's taken on a life of its own in my collection as the favoured mount of Optimus Prime.

Autobots ROLL OUT!
-Ian Malcolm

Libraraptor

Jetoar

Nice collection and nice Optimus Prime  :)). You have a figure of DOC, you are a lucky person  ^-^
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.