News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

PALEOCENE by Mike Keesey

Started by Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), January 06, 2022, 04:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm starting a thread for Mike Keesey's comic/graphic novel series Paleocene, a post-apocalyptic tale of suspense set in the aftermath of the End Cretaceous extinction. It features visually creative art and panels, and excellent writing that all similar prehistoric tales should aspire to.

The first two issues follow a starving Mother prosimian, desperately hoping for her mate to return with food and news of a new home for the rest of their troop. Things take a turn for the worse when one of her offspring is apparently snatched by one of the dreaded "dragons" of old returned from the dead. Dinosaurs are only a distant memory to the very oldest member of this primate troop, and so the news threatens to upset the cohesion of their entire community.

We spend just enough time to really feel for the plight of our primate ancestors, when the perspective switches to that of the predator itself, revealed to be a hark-like predatory bird. We find that this is no malicious monster, but a desperate individual struggling to survive in its own right. I absolutely love the writing in these scenes, which shifts to a high, courtly tone, often spoken in rhyme, emphasizing the showy, boastful nature of birds throughout time. It succeeds admirably in establishing the "otherness" of this creature as opposed to the primates, and yet we feel equal sympathy to all parties involved, despite (or perhaps because) the success of one likely means misery for the other.

The three issues that are available at the time of this writing have only just finished introducing all the key players, so we will have to wait to see how this tension gets resolved. I for one can't wait to see where Keesey takes the series next! I'll post my full review below. Has anybody else here read this series yet? Maybe H @HD-man? avatar_SBell @SBell?

https://dinodadreviews.com/2022/01/05/paleocene-issues-1-3/

SBell

I am not familiar at all. But now I'm curious

HD-man

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on January 06, 2022, 04:11:30 AMHas anybody else here read this series yet? Maybe H @HD-man? avatar_SBell @SBell?

I've heard of it, but I haven't read it. Based on your review, I like how it's written. It's quite coincidental that you tagged me when you did b/c I had just finished reading another comic series, Harley Quinn: The Animated Series - The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour. I rarely read comics, but as you may remember, Harley Quinn is 1 of my favorite shows.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.