News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Encyclopedia Prehistorica

Started by Lanthanotus, August 06, 2016, 02:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

I read through a fair few threads in this section (and others) in the past and always wondered why I could not spot Robert Sabuda & Matthew Reinhart's Encyclopedia Prehistorica among those books or shelves. So here's my short review and a video (spoiler alert!)....

The Encyclopedia Prehistorica is a series of three pop up books which I will all introduce to you here. While some may consider pop up books a child thing I really recommend the series to all people interested in prehistoric animals and having some sense for art, may they have children or not, or be children or not. Each book contains twelve sites each boasting several finely made pop ups. Short and easy to understand text passages lead through aspects of the history of paleontology, natural history and provide information about several species of prehistorc life. Some of these informations may be a bit outdated (naturally - the books were first published roughly 10 years ago) and in some occassions not in all aspects correct, but in general the books can compete with other serious publications and one can recognize, that the authors did not just lazily copy and paste informations from other books. However, the strong and foremost impressing and enchanting quality of the books are their pop ups which are "sculpted" (if one can say so) and painted in a way that let's them stay out as a form of art and not just mere papercraft....

... (be warned again, !!!SPOILER!!! , the video shows all but one - I missed that one, my bad - pop ups within the book)...

... so here's the first video about the most popular issue of the series :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VOoOCsvMgA

Lanthanotus

So, here we are again for the second book of the series (though i honestly do not know if it's the "Part two" or if the book I'll introduce to you third is it, but who cares. I think I missed out another pop up in this issue aswell as in the first, but hey, so there's still something for you to discover.

Some editions of the Encyclopedia Prehistorica can be quiet pricey, but I got all three of mine in used, but very good condition for just a few bucks including shipment to Germany via abebooks.com.

So, here are Mega-Beasts, covering pre-Dinosaur invertebrates aswell as next-to-Dinosaurs pterosaurs and post-Dinosaur landdwellers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6-QHHO6uE

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Since the linked videos are now private, I thought I'd post my blog posts about these books here!
Matthew Reinhart and Robert Sabuda have a trio of pop-up books in the "Encyclopedia Prehistorica" series: Dinosaurs, Sharks and Other Sea Monsters, and Mega-Beasts.
Here's my review of the Dinosaurs book:
>   Encyclopedia Prehistorica Dinosaurs   <

...and here's my review of the Sharks book:
>   Sharks and Other Sea Monsters   <

"Mega-Beasts" appears to be out of print, and so is harder to get at a reasonable price, but I finally acquired it recently, so I'll share my review here once I've posted it.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Matthew Reinhart also created another dinosaur themed pop-up book with Rich Davies about the Jurassic Park series, which understandably is not part of the "Encyclopedia Prehistorica" series.
>   Jurassic World: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book   <

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on June 24, 2022, 05:57:57 PMSince the linked videos are now private[...]

Thanks for pointing out. Seems there was an update on Youtube probably quite a while ago..... I changed the permissions, so the links should work now for the forum.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.