News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Are the Tyrannosaur sounds from Prehistoric Planet Accurate?

Started by Strepsodus, May 27, 2022, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strepsodus

I've seen all the current Prehistoric Planet episodes and I also know that Tyrannosaurus couldn't roar like previously depicted in old documentaries and movies. So I wanted to know if the sounds from Tyrannosaurus in Prehistoric Planet are accurate.

First one here at 0:22

And here at 0:07

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

andrewsaurus rex

sort of a combo of low roars and hissing.  Interesting.

I saw one study that claimed T Rex would have made a low, rumbling sound, nothing at all like a roar or a hiss.

suspsy

They are definitely in keeping with the current prevailing ideas about theropod vocalization. Thunderous roaring a la Jurassic Park and Walking With Dinosaurs was determined to be physically impossible years ago. Theropods were not big cats.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

The vocalizations in PP were certainly more accurate than the traditional roaring, which is a mammalian thing (bears, big cats). The sexual display was very similar to the low rumbling sounds made by alligators during the breeding season. Additional vocalizations were reminiscent of crocodilians, as well as various birds such as ratites.  It's about as accurate as you can possibly get, I would say.

Bowhead Whale

I always thought tyrannosaurus didn't have the voice of a big cat. I always imagined it with a voice sounding like this of an alligator or any other crocodilian...

dinodamage

To add onto what avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi said, CT scans of T. rex's inner ear suggest its hearing was especially attuned to low frequency sounds, so likelihood it would have used low-frequency growls, bellows, and rumbles similar to alligators or cassowaries is high. So PP got it pretty spot-on, although they went more towards gator-y than the deep, low drummings of a cassowary or emu, but the latter is so low it's hard to demonstrate via audio.

In fact, the cassowary has the lowest frequency call of any bird, right outside human hearing. When you listen to the sounds they make, it's not hard to imagine a T. rex making vocalizations just like this!

Bowhead Whale

You may be right. Most of all when we know that big animals tend to make low-pitched sounds, while small animals tend to make high-pitched sounds. When we hear the singing of an American Song Sparrow, and we listen afterwards the call of a cow, it is easy to conclude wich animal is bigger than the other one.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.