News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triceratops 3D model

Started by Aerosteon, October 05, 2022, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerosteon

Hello everyone, I present to you the Triceratops model that I have made to make an assembly kit in the future. I haven't decided on the scale, so your suggestions would help me a lot.
Actualemtete is made a prototype printed in resin.
I leave you the progress of the work, I hope you like it.

AncientEra

Hey nice Trike!  I have found that 1:35 scale is the sweet spot for a synthesis between marketability and profit margin if you are 3d printing.

It is hard to make any good returns with the cost of material and machine wear with 3d prints, so if you are going to make larger kits, plan on molding a master and casting in liquid resin.

Even at 1:35 you'll need to really watch material and print time.

I would start there, or even smaller- maybe 1:40 or 1:57 and see how that goes before getting in too deep.

Nice work.

Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] if you would like any more advice, or assistance.

-Matt
M. Ramieri
Ancient Era Artistry
Paleoart Model Kits
htps://www.ancienteraartistry.com

Aerosteon

Quote from: AncientEra on October 07, 2022, 02:55:09 AMHey nice Trike!  I have found that 1:35 scale is the sweet spot for a synthesis between marketability and profit margin if you are 3d printing.

It is hard to make any good returns with the cost of material and machine wear with 3d prints, so if you are going to make larger kits, plan on molding a master and casting in liquid resin.

Even at 1:35 you'll need to really watch material and print time.

I would start there, or even smaller- maybe 1:40 or 1:57 and see how that goes before getting in too deep.

Nice work.

Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] if you would like any more advice, or assistance.

-Matt

Thank you very much for your advice AncientEra.

Personally, I have been following your work for a long time and it´s a privilege to be able to count on your expert advice on the matter.

The main question that arises me is the type of resin to use. I understand that it is polyurethane one, but I´m not sure if it is the most suitable and if, being 1/35 scale figures, it´s more appropriate to make them solid or hollow.

I hope I don't bother you with my inexperienced doubts... I´m preparing many figures with enthusiasm but I don´t know how my project will finally come out.

Thank you very much again for your time and answers

AncientEra

Hey Aerosteon-

No problem, but drop me an email when you get a chance.  Let's move the conversation there. 

If you have then means to rotocast, the. By all means, you can do that.

However, most species will be small enough at 1:35 that you can get good solid castings that won't cost a fortune to make.  Sauropods may be the exception. 

Personally, I prefer solid if it is feasible, because I feel like the weight adds a sense of value.  At that scale, a hollow casting just feels a little cheap.  However, the 3d prints really have to be hollow to make them marketable, so six to one, half a dozen to the other, maybe. 

For most species 1:20 & up, solid might not work so well.  At a certain thickness the resin will trap air bubbles and cause surface defects, so you'll be forced to figure out how to make them hollow.

I have a lot of mold making and casting experience, so feel free to pick my brain a bit. 
M. Ramieri
Ancient Era Artistry
Paleoart Model Kits
htps://www.ancienteraartistry.com

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.