News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Trivia: Ray Harryhausen's Martian, Ymir and Kraken

Started by dragon53, January 27, 2023, 08:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

For those who collect the Star Ace Harryhausen figures.

TRIVIA---in 1949, special effects pioneer Ray Harryhausen wanted to make a movie based on H.G. Wells's classic sci fi novel THE WAR OF THE WORLDS. Harryhausen filmed a demonstration reel showing a tentacled Martian emerging from the cylinder. Unfortunately, the movie was never made, "I actually built a Martian based on H.G. Wells description. He described the creature that came from the space ship a sort of an octopus-like type of creature. I took it all around Hollywood...We couldn't raise money. People weren't that interested in science fiction at that time." However, in 1953 Harryhausen's friend, George Pal, filmed his modern day version of the Wells novel starring Gene Barry and Ann Robinson which was a big hit.
Although Harryhausen's THE WAR OF THE WORLDS never made it to the movies, his Martian did---he resurrected modified versions of it for the Venusian Ymir in 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH and the Kraken in CLASH OF THE TITANS, his last movie.

Ray Harryhausen's THE WAR OF THE WORLDS demonstration reel showed a tentacled Martian emerging from the cylinder.

Harryhausen used modified versions of the Martian for the Venusian Ymir in 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (two top photos) and the Kraken in CLASH OF THE TITANS (two bottom photos).

Justin_

I'd like to see Harryhausen's designs for War of the Worlds tripods. Was his version going to be set in the time the book was?

Crackington

Thanks D @dragon53 I enjoy these threads on film trivia you put together. Keep 'em coming!

avatar_Justin_ @Justin_ I checked my copy of Ray Harryhausen's "An Animated Life" and he says he intended to update the story to modern day America, inspired by Orson Welles famous 1930s radio broadcast that caused panic when first aired.

He did get as far as making a Martian War Machine which he said was close to HG Wells' description in the novel. There is art work of it in "The Art of Ray Harryhausen" and his concept looks good:

He met with George Pal and there was talk of him doing the effects, but funding was hard to come by so he told Harryhausen that it wouldn't go ahead. This was a difficult time for the young animator and Harryhausen had to move on to other projects including the "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms".

Justin_

I like the way the tripod has something more like a clawed hand than a foot.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.