You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What Dinosaur Figures Do You Regret Getting?

Started by Lynx, February 10, 2023, 05:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

The title says it all. The figure I probably regret the most was the Eofauna Giganotosaurus and Safari LTD Deinocherius. There is nothing wrong with both of those figures, but they just never pleased me. The Eofauna Giganotosaurus has paint rub off very easily, and when the model already can't stand... well...

As for the Safari LTD Deinocherius, I just didn't expect it to be so small. Once again, nothing wrong with it, just tiny and doesn't catch my eye like other models do.
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

There are a few Mattel toys that I probably didn't need to get, but considering how cheap they were I still don't regret them. The Ornitholestes and the particular Monolophosaurus that I have come to mind first. Then there are some I regret buying just because I found them on sale later on, but that doesn't really count.

Also, the Papo running T. rex. It was neat at the time of its release but has become so prevalent in pop culture that I kind of resent it now. Again though, it wasn't so expensive that I have any real regrets.

suspsy

I tend to donate all the prehistoric toys I'm no longer fond of, usually to daycares or kindergarten classes. I've also passed on a great number to my two boys. So ultimately, I really don't have any regrets. I'm happy knowing that the toys are bringing happiness to young ones.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

Collecta Bistahieversor and Lythronax due to them leaning heavily to their sides even being attached to a base.

Collecta Medusaceratops and Xenoceratops, like their head sculpts but not their body.

Collecta Muttaburrasaurus, tiny and not impressive.

Safari Styracosaurus. I love the sculpt overall but the warping on its frill horns makes me want to replace it with the PNSO one.

PNSO Proceratosaurus due to warping that makes it unable to stand.

Favorite Baryonyx, again can't even stand with a base and I prefer the look of the Safari one, the face on mine is warped and kind of unpleasant.

Eatmycar

My BoTM raptors, frankly as well as my brief pivot into the Amber Collection in 2021. That played out well (but I traded those off for customs)

It's not that they're bad. They're actually very beautiful, masterful works of art and I cherish most of my BoTM ceratopsians... but the raptors are just so weak and can't stand up at all. I also had no idea he'd do a 1/18 scale raptors at the time, but alas, hindsight is 2020.

Many of my PNSO figures, but the Corythosaurus and Carnotaurus in particular. They left a sour taste in my mouth and neither can stand. Corythosaurus in particular is awful about it. Corythosaurus didn't even have time to warp... it just flopped over on day one. Great quality there.

EmperorDinobot

All of them. I'd be wealthier without them. Supremely wealthier.

And I wouldn't be tied to them. I wouldn't keep my family tied to them.

Stegotyranno420

I really regret all the toys i got, but I never regret the figures, assuming such a distinction exists.

Fenestra

None.
I don't buy on impulse.
When I have interest in a figure or statue, I will first watch tons of reviews on YouTube, and look at tons of photos from other collectors before I make a purchase.
I don't have a lot of room, so anything I buy must be "pure love" or it will be put on the back burner.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Fenestra on February 10, 2023, 08:01:00 PMNone.
I don't buy on impulse.
When I have interest in a figure or statue, I will first watch tons of reviews on YouTube, and look at tons of photos from other collectors before I make a purchase.
I don't have a lot of room, so anything I buy must be "pure love" or it will be put on the back burner.

Currently I follow your philosophy.  I wont even buy figures I just "like" unless in person.

EmperorDinobot

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 here we just call them "toys". Or "figures". It's all-encompassing. An all-encompassing mistake my parents made by raising me a brat, which exacerbated once my obsessive compulsive symptoms started coming in.

I wish I could just get them all in person. This is partially one of the reasons why I still collect Jurassic stuff. I can see and touch them. I feel nothing but fear when I get Safari animals or BOTM. My Spiclypeus has an epic underbite, and my FC Dromaeeosaurus' jaw falls out. And the last time I got a Safari animal, it came all scratched up.

Funk

This would be one of them, but at least I got a review out of it: https://dinotoyblog.com/triceratops-remote-controlledthe-lost-world-jurassic-park-by-toy-biz/

BlueKrono

If it counts, I paid a ridiculous sum years ago to accumulate my Play Visions prehistoric amphibians collection. Now they are much more reasonable. I love them though... Probably the only dino toy I regret buying was this one that was listed as a plesiosaur on eBay. When it arrived I was able to see that it was a Brontosaurus that had been partially melted, its feet splayed out like flippers. But I wasn't out too much money on that one.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Dyscrasia

No real regrets, but as others have mentioned, I have been disappointed with stability issues, paint issues, etc. with not an insignificant number of figures I have.

Paleo Flo

Quote from: Jose S.M. on February 10, 2023, 06:06:14 PMSafari Styracosaurus. I love the sculpt overall but the warping on its frill horns makes me want to replace it with the PNSO one.

I recommend you the Deluxe Styracosaurus by CollectA. I love it and it is the best ceratopsian in my collection.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

JimoAi

Favorite Co Carnotaurus. Too skinny and shrink-wrapped, too small for 1:32 or 1:35, colors look unnatural and overall pricey to import. Bought cuz of the osteoderm arrangement

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Paleo Flo on February 11, 2023, 06:09:45 AMI recommend you the Deluxe Styracosaurus by CollectA. I love it and it is the best ceratopsian in my collection.

Thanks for the recommendation! It's a great figure indeed and in my opinion one of their best ceratopsians.

Primeval12

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just throwing this out there with all the remorse..we accept toy donations for our nonprofit gift shop.. ;)  ^-^

ceratopsian

Without doubt my chief regret the Schleich Agustinia.  It's hideous.  I really ought to take it to a charity shop!

And to a lesser degree the Favorite Baryonyx.  It doesn't stand, despite the base.  Mind you, I have other animals that don't stand.  Somehow this particular specimen irritates me beyond what is reasonable.  I think it's really that I just don't like the colour!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: