News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

dinosaur size comparisons

Started by dyno77, March 26, 2022, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

Something i notice lacking are good size comparisons of dinosaur bones and skulls with modern animals such as an elephant or a giraffe...
Iv never seen an elephant skull beside a t rex skull or an allosaurus skull,the few illustrations of such dont do them justice ,id rather see the real skulls side by side in photos...
Id always have wish i could see how big  t rex was beside a columbian mammoth or indricotherium...having seen all 3 in different museums is great and all ,but id rather see them together to see how they measure up...
The largest mammoths are huge, having seen isolated bones on display in various museums ,and i just wish there was photos comparing them with the same bones from select dinosaurs just to show how big these mammoths got...
But if there is any books you can recommend with photos like that,or any websites ,that would be great...

Ostafrikasaurus

I love to see charts with size comparisons of just about anything: dinosaurs, skyscrapers, cruise ships, and so on. I suppose that is evidence of me being a visual learner.  :o As for books with size comparisons, the Eofauna book on Theropods has an excellent chart (shown below) comparing the size of certain theropod dinosaurs and living animals, and I'm pretty sure their sauropod book has something similar. Like you said, I wish there were more books that are fully dedicated to showing just how big dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals were compared to living creatures, and to each other. It's truly mind-boggling at times to consider that the earth was once populated by them.
"Live fast, eat grass, die in a blast." - Late Cretaceous herbivore

dyno77

Thats great ,iv got that book,but i also some of the most straight foreword comparisons are absent.. They would be a columbian mammoth and t rex femur bone...or saurophagnax and giraffe skull..
Iv been lucky enough to have seen a mammoth and sauropod femur side by side on the shelves of the nhm in paris...both were the same size and iv even got the photo..
Some of these mammoth femur bones are huge ,its s shame it was so high on the shelf,but it was clearly massive and so was the deinotherium....
Another big specimen of note is the skull of samotherium..its a massive skull and there is no photos that do it justice..its over 4 ft wide ,horn tip to horn tip....and the main cranium is huge ,it must be bigger than an average sized allosaurus skull...its sure bigger than any iguanodon skull iv seen...and iv seen plenty of them in museums...
The  reconstructed skeleton of indricotherium is a huge specimen ,it would tower over a bull elephant easily...
Still like to see some of the record  size mammoth bones,iv read that they are huge esp from deinotherium...antarctosaurus giganteus femurs look impressive as well...yet to see the largest brachiosaurus  specimens which are based on a few isolated bones of huge size...some large tortoise shells and triceratops skulls are of note...deinosuchus is an impressive specimen and that was the average sized version at 8.5m...iv yet to see the newer larger skulls based on updated study...i never saw that old 6ft skull that wasn't far off in terms of size..

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.