News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patagotitan 1:35 model

Started by Rayeknor, May 19, 2023, 10:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayeknor

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker here for quite some time but thought I should sign up to share my latest acquisition, a custom model of Patagotitan Mayorum in 1:35 scale. I think we get too few good accurate sauropod figures these days in the 1:35 or even 1:40 scale so I went ahead and treated myself after seeing the exhibition now available in London. Reading numbers and measurements along with photos is one thing, the skeleton mount itself is breathtaking and so much bigger then imagined in person even with it crouching slightly with a horizontal back rather then the slight titanosaur version of a brachiosaur upright back (Staff told me it would not have fit in the museum rearing up).

I thought I had the measurements planned out but redoing them it turns out 122 feet even in 1:35 has my shelf beat so I have to figure something out. The figure is in fiberglass so it is light as a feather but quite resilient. Handpainted and looks a little darker then these photos taken with a flash.

Remko

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, that's an awesome figure and truly an eye catcher for any collection.
Love the paintjob. Since many sauropods where so large, any camouflage to hide them in the forests would be useless anyway (except for newborn and young individuals), better be extravagant and be noticed by other members of the same species or possible predators.

And I agree we have to few truly 1:35th or1:40th sauropods, although they are becoming more common, especially in the more expensive resin kit department.

ceratopsian

Welcome! I have that model ordered but I'm still in the queue.

Rayeknor

He is apparently quite swamped, no wonder considering the quality of his models. What color scheme did you go with for yours?

ceratopsian

I asked for a bluish grey. I sent off my scheme about six weeks ago now.

Rayeknor

I ordered mine in late January, shipped this week. I told him at every opportunity to take his time, and it was definitively worth the wait. I hope he sets up a business beyond taking individual orders, the man is immensely talented.

ceratopsian

I too was inspired by the museum cast. In my case anticipation of the exhibition opening!  I'd seen DinosDragons video review which drew my attention to its existence.

Helpful to know how long you waited!

Remko

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 19, 2023, 03:15:39 PMI too was inspired by the museum cast. In my case anticipation of the exhibition opening!  I'd seen DinosDragons video review which drew my attention to its existence.

Helpful to know how long you waited!

After seeing this as well as DinosDragons review I contacted the designer and ordered one as well. He stated it will take app. 40 days as he has quite a lot of orders.
For a custom, made and painted to order, figure, 40 days isn't that long at all.
It might take longer, but I have no problem with that.

Now, I just need to figure out the colorscheme.  ;D

Rayeknor

40 days is what I was told as well, obviously it took a lot longer then that but don't hold it against him, what you will get is way beyond any mass produced item and well worth the wait, and in my opinion for a good price as well. Making it out of fiberglass is also a stroke of genius, like resin it holds a lot of fine detail but unlike resin it is not nearly as heavy nor as prone to breaking.

Coming up with the color scheme is half the fun, I could have played it safe with just the dark colors and gone sauropod 101 but a iguana green face and upper neck kinda sorta made sense to me on a large scaled animal as a combined singaling/camo effect considering it lived among large trees. The artist added it to the tail end as well which I don't mind.

Another example besides the headshot of his attention to detail. Cassowary leg on steroids just as ordered

ceratopsian

I'd also asked for a flush of colour on the neck. Makes sense on a large model!

Rayeknor

I suspect dinosaurs with and without feathers were more colorful then the large land mammals of today, but obviously with limitation on larger animals like sauropods and anything else at or beyond elephant size, you can only generate that much colored scales after all especially through a diet of unprocessed plant material even if you chow down hundreds of pounds a day.

Rayeknor

Had to get another variation of this sculpt

ceratopsian

And a very striking pattern too!  Very pleasing.

BlueKrono

I reached out to Ademar about placing an order back in April. He said he was pretty busy with orders but just give him a few days. I messaged him again 4 months later in August after hearing nothing. He said give him a few more days. I'm not holding my breath.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Bread

Another gem of a sauropod!

I still think I prefer the first rendition due to the pop of green, but this new one is definitely a winner too.

ceratopsian

I first made contact in February and then placed my order in March after a quiet period. It isn't that long since mine arrived - 10 August.  So you should be getting there avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono.

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 28, 2023, 06:01:06 PMI reached out to Ademar about placing an order back in April. He said he was pretty busy with orders but just give him a few days. I messaged him again 4 months later in August after hearing nothing. He said give him a few more days. I'm not holding my breath.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.