News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What's the rarest dinosaur in your collection?

Started by Raptoress, July 09, 2015, 11:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

I don't own much rare dinosaurs...
Probably the PNSO Doyle Triceratops with white and blue exclusive paint job.
They made only 100 of them if I remember correctly, and Lana was selling only 10 of them or something like that, managed to grab one.

Other than that, I do own the 3 JP1 Iron Studio Velociraptors, that have become rare now.
But I think I will only keep the standing one and sell the other two.

Halichoeres

I have some one-of-a-kind figures. Apart from those, I have some really rare vintage figures like the Lanier Climatius and Chialu Brachauchenius. I recently got a certain WWD figure, which is definitely more common but probably more coveted.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

I have the X-Plus Albertosaurus and Sideshow Apatosaurus and Allosaurus/Camarasuarus.   None are extremely rare but all are hard-ish to find and expensive when you do.

I also have the Kaiyodo 1/20 Elasmosaurus which seems to be very hard to find; even information on it, which is surprising to me.

I had the Horizion 1/19 JP Brachiosaurus vinyl kit but sold it for a decent amount, after I got the Mattel Brachiosaurus because I knew i'd never get around to building a vinyl kit.

Concavenator

GojiraGuy1954

Toys'R'Us Exclusive rainbow Papos, Carnegie Concav, Carnegie Maia
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Ludodactylus

Nothing *too* special but I did manage to lay hands on the Safari Nasutoceratops and Einiosaurus after their discontinuation, and Einiosaurus took some doing to get ahold of.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Remko

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 05, 2022, 11:30:16 AM

These Carnegie fellows.

I had no idea these were considered rare.
But still happy to have these in my collection, as well as Carnegie's other Sauropods. Just need to get the blue/striped Brachiosaurus. I've already have the green version, but the blue one looks better.

marisaura

easily the fauna casts parasaurolophus! i got it many years ago and i'm fairly sure it was the last fauna casts model ever sold, unless there's been more since then i'm not aware of. i have no idea how many exist, but it's so gorgeous and to this day my single favorite figure.

other rare figures i have are the bullyland protochirotherium, procynosuchus, and arizonasaurus; the favorite concavenator, pelecanimimus, and neovenator; the schleich megatherium and desmatosuchus; the safari scutosaurus and hypacrosaurus (plus the baby); and the play visions amphibians. none on the same level as the parasaurolophus but still a fair few that aren't exactly common.

also a bunch of carnegies but idk if they're "rare" so much as inordinately expensive lol

EmperorDinobot

I could have said "my Battat Diplodocus" or "My JP and TLW Carnotaurs", or my many unique dinosaurs like my Latam exclusive Planeta DeAgostini dinos, or who knows, but I bring this one up because only I have this. There was a contest in 2021 I believe where David Silva would pull a name out of a hat, and mine came up first. Everyone else got a different dinosaur. If there are any other protos they are in David's house/office. I'm the only one in this forum that owns this, too, so it's definitely the rarest certifiable dinosaur in my collection, It's also priceless.

Remko

For me it would be the Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus and Miragaia. Although when I bought either of them they were still normally priced.

Other than that I would guess my 1:35th Alamosaurus kit and the Mega sauropods from LanaTime (Argentinosaurus, Maraapunisaurus and Barosaurus). Although these aren't exactly rare, just expensive and probably to large for most people to want them / display them while you can get multiple smaller figures for the same price.

Other than that I don't think I really have any rare figures.

TheCambrianCrusader

I have a few of the rarer carnegies, been trying to get a hold of the entire collection (besides repaints and retools) and thats been quite the undertaking. A few of the rarer ones I've gotten while they were in production like the feathered Velociraptor and Concavenator, but most of them I've hunted down after their discontinuation. I think I'm almost halfway done with the line, managed to find the Miragaia on eBay for only 20 bucks total a year ago. I was so convinced it had to be a bootleg that when it finally came in I must've spent an hour trying to make sure it was the real deal. I'm dreading trying to get my hands on the 2012 Brachiosaurus tho.
I managed to track down a few original battats recently too, a number of them have been falling in price so I snag the Edmontonia, Styracosaurus, and Carnotaurus.
I do have a lot of safari figures that are pretty sought after like the Scutosaurus, Inostrancevia, Einiosaurus, etc. tho the vast majority I got while they were in production. Its wild I remember seeing the AMNH selling the Scutosaurus in massive numbers for like 8 bucks each well after it was discontinued, hard to believe its gotten so expensive. They also had the 2012 Brachiosaurus for a bit and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it.
Tho I think the rarest things I own are probably the Sega great dinosaur Triceratops and the Bullyland Procynosuchus. The Procynosuchus was my white whale for the longest time I still can't believe I own it.

Over9K

I have one of the first-version Kaiyodo Dinoland 1/20 Bellowing T.rex pre-builds. Sculpted by Shinobu Matsumura it has a very Gregory S. Paul-esque aesthetic.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.