You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HOLOTYPE - New Paleo Strategy Game NOW AVAILABLE!

Started by Fembrogon, May 06, 2022, 04:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brexwerxgames/holotype/description

I've been seeing advertisements for this campaign on Facebook, but I only started seriously looking at it just recently.

(Kickstarter exclusive box version)

Quote"Holotype - A single type specimen upon which the description of a new species is based."

Holotype is a light-strategy, worker placement game for 2-5 players.  In the game, players further the field of Paleontology by collecting fossils, conducting research, and publishing their findings in scientific journals.  It's a fast-paced and easy-to-learn game that still has enough options to keep even the most strategic board gamers engaged.

HOW TO PLAY

• Step 1: Select Game Board and Tracker Board for number of players. Setup play area.
  • Step 2: Players select their player color and setup player boards with workers and discs.
  • Step 3: deal three specimen cards to each player. Deal two personal objective cards to each player, players choose one objective card to keep.
  • Step 4: collect fossil cubes by visiting field expeditions area and rolling fossil dice.
  • Step 5: collect research cubes by visiting the University Library.
  • Step 6: publish holotypes at the publishing journal to earn victory points. Every time a holotype is published, advance "Penty" on the Field Advancement track.
  • Step 7: When "Penty" reaches the end of the Field Advancement Track, the game is over and everyone adds up their points.

GAME MECHANICS

Most gameplay in Holotype involves many standard board game and worker placement mechanics. Two mechanics that are slightly different in Holotype are the hierarchy of workers and Global Objectives. The game also includes two variant rules to allow for a simplified game mode and adjustments to game time length.

Worker Hierarchy and Bumping
Every round, players use their workers to perform various actions.  Even though spaces are limited, players can strategically "bump" other workers from occupied spaces based on a hierarchy system.  Bumped workers become available to opponents to be used on following turns, so placement and timing can be important.
There are three different workers in the game: Field Assistant, Grad Student, and Paleontologist. The Hierarchy Rule determines whether or not a specific worker can bump another worker from an occupied space.

Global Objectives
Global Objectives are an additional way to earn Victory Points in Holotype.  By referencing all published Holotypes, players can spend 5 Research cubes to move one of their discs onto an Objective area that they are completing. If they only reference Holotypes that they themselves have published, the cost is reduced to 0.
Global Objectives being completed also can end the game. If a total number of Global Objective cards equal to the number of players are filled, the game is immediately over and players add up their points.

Basal Variant and Play Time Variant
The Basal version allows for a stripped-down version for first-time players, young players, or those new to board games.
Play time can be adjusted by using different Tracker Boards to either increase or decrease total game length.

BALANCE AND ACCURACY

Balance and Accuracy were high on our must-haves list while developing Holotype.

Balance
As avid board gamers, we wanted a game where your strategic choices mattered and there wasn't one strategy that always wins. A lot of calculation went into card values, dice probability and the like. Refinement after each playtest ensured that game play issues were addressed and things that weren't fun were removed. The final result is a game that we're proud to share and enjoy playing as well.
In addition to our extensive human play testing, we developed a python program that played the game tens of thousands of times. Data from the program helped refine point values, objective targets, component numbers, etc.

Accuracy
Presenting accuracy has been important to us, so we have partnered with several Paleontology technical consultants throughout the development process to achieve our goal.  The result has been the development of an engaging board game that treats the theme with respect. You won't need to know anything about Paleontology to play, but hopefully you learn something new about your favorite dinosaur or the field.

DISCOVERIES

As passionate gamers, our goal was to create a game that we would love to have on our own shelves.  Most of our core components are designed to provide a great gaming experience (i.e. premium black core cards, double-side game boards, etc.)
We also didn't want to add new cards or components thru stretch goals that could upset game balance or delay production; however, we know there is always room for improvement.  As the campaign gains momentum, we will announce a few weekly "discoveries" that should make Holotype better overall.

Demo version on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2795550644

At this time the campaign is in its last 48 hours, but it's been fully funded and there appears to have been a retailer pledge option, so perhaps the game will have some limited availability for non-backers. Right now they're estimating the game will be completed and ready to ship by February 2023, hopefully sooner.

Gameplay review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPR4eUMiDz4

Darko2300

I couldn't believe I didn't find out about this game until just days before the Kickstarter ended. I mean, "Yay!" for me, but I felt bad it didn't get more eyeballs. I'm really, really stoked about the whole thing - heck, I even ordered two copies just so I could have one with the Pentaceratops Box Cover and one with the T-Rex Box Cover!  ;D

Fembrogon

Yeah, I only knew of its existence due to those Facebook ads. It looks like there was plenty of demand, though! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product next year. Hopefully it will continue to get even more exposure in the future.

Fembrogon

HOLOTYPE is now available for late pledging at Gamefound. If you missed the Kickstarter but are still interested in the project, here's your chance to secure a copy of the game!

https://gamefound.com/projects/brexwerx-games/holotype?refcode=D0WM2uuCUEOzTeMtU_ZebA#/section/project-overview

Darko2300

Quote from: Fembrogon on May 29, 2022, 06:49:09 AMHOLOTYPE is now available for late pledging at Gamefound. If you missed the Kickstarter but are still interested in the project, here's your chance to secure a copy of the game!

https://gamefound.com/projects/brexwerx-games/holotype?refcode=D0WM2uuCUEOzTeMtU_ZebA#/section/project-overview

Excellent! (Not that I need more  than 2 copies, but still... 😂)

Fembrogon

Holotype is here!

Freshly arrived in the mail today - the main game and the pterosaur mini-expansion.
I haven't done much beyond opening it up for pictures, but I'm excited to start practicing and getting used to the gameplay.

Meeple University published a gameplay summmary video a couple months back featuring Holotype:

...And for those interested who missed the Kickstarter: the game is now available at MSRP from Brexwerx Games directly!
https://brexwerxgames.com/

Paleo Flo

That's cool. Maybe one day it will come to Germany
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Fembrogon

Quote from: Brexwerx GamesDo you want to purchase your own copy of Holotype but don't want to wait for shipping?  Do you regret not getting the Pterosaur expansion and don't want to pay for shipping?  If so, you might be able to stop by one of our growing number of retail partners to pick up the game and support your friendly local gaming store. 

AC Gaming Space - Plattsburg, NY
Athoria Games Tempe - Tempe, AZ
Down To Game - Starkville - Starkville, MS
Explorers Emporium, Inc. - Apache Junction, AZ
Funkatronic Rex - Games & More - Phoenix, AZ
Gamers Asylum - Ogden, UT
Giga-Bites Tabletop Gaming Cafe - Maietta, GA
Hastur Games - Midvale, UT
Imperial Outpost - Glendale, AZ
Lock & Key Adventurer's Guild - Lincoln City, OR
Meeples & Beyond - Phoenix, AZ
The Silver Key Lounge - Mesa, AZ
Tyrannostorus - Mesa, AZ

Are you a friendly local gaming store who wants to be a part of our Retail Program?  Contact us at [email protected] for more information.  Do you love our game and think your local gaming store should carry Holotype? Then point them in our direction!

Facebook link

Fembrogon

MESOZOIC EUROPE: The first Holotype Expansion set!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brexwerxgames/holotype-mesozoic-europe

This Kickstarter actually started a couple of weeks ago, but with still 19 days left the project is already funded three times over!
I haven't pledged myself yet, due to continuing financial issues, but I didn't want to let this go unshared before it was ended.
The expansion features some new mechanics to the game for additional goals and choices. A crurotarsi mini-expansion is also available for pledging!

They also have a brand-new draft and match card game available for add-on - focused on peacock spiders!

Shipping estimates are also included down the page on the Kickstarter, for international pledgers. The campaign finishes December 4th, with the final products expected to ship next September.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.