News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repair of broken resin models

Started by thomasw100, February 18, 2024, 09:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Hi there, I received two 3D printed resin models (they came built up and painted) with broken off tail tips. The fractures are straight without any chipping off of smaller fragments. So it appears feasible to glue this back together and repair the damage. My question would be what glue I should use and what preparations I would need to do to repair this successfully.

ceratopsian

It will depend on how close to the tail tip and how thin is the piece that needs to be attached. Both Martin G. and I failed with a very thin and fine tail tip. There just wasn't enough to provide a base for gluing. But I have successfully glued Bajadasaurus spines. I would ask the artist who painted it what glue to use; he should be able to advise what will be ok with the materials he used.

Justin_

Super glue would be the neatest as long as the tail tips aren't likely to be touched again. A two-part epoxy will be stronger but can be a bit messy if not done carefully. The most professional way would be to drill the two parts so you can insert some kind of pin for extra strength.

thomasw100

Thank you all for the quick response to my question, very much appreciated. The diameter of the tails at the position where the fracture is is around 3 to 3.5 mm. I hope that this would be thick enough to glue this back together. About the superglue: Would Loctite be a suitable brand for example?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.