News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Query about American English!

Started by ceratopsian, March 26, 2024, 04:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I would be interested to hear from speakers of US English, if anyone has a moment.  I've been using the Duolingo app as a painless way of resurrecting my Italian.  I was surprised to find that it insists on "On Christmas we give presents" and "On Easter we look for eggs".  Also "On New Year's" for Capodanno (i.e. no "Day" attached).  I only ever recall hearing "At Christmas" or "On Christmas Day"; "At Easter" or "On Easter Day", and "On New Year's Day" or "At New Year" here in the UK.  I'm intrigued.  Is the app usage of prepositions normal in the US?

BlueKrono

American English speaker here. I would say the difference is that when we say On a holiday it refers to on that specific day, like this year. If you say At a holiday it's more like something that's done every year on that holiday.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono.  That makes sense!  Subtly different from how we express it here.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.