You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Genus Of Tiny, Hornless Deer That Roamed South Dakota 32 Million Years Ago Discovered- Santuccimeryx

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, May 13, 2024, 11:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Ah, it's a leptomerycid. I was going to be shocked if an actual cervid was known from North America that far back. They're fairly recent arrivals here.

What does shock me is that a news service ran an article on a paleontology topic not related to some enormous beast with big nasty teeth. Good on ABC News!

Open-access paper here.

To clarify: this animal was previously described as a species of Leptomeryx (L. elissae) in 2002. This new paper, using information from a new skull discovered by a hiker, separates it out as the new genus Santuccimeryx on typological grounds - basically it has Leptomeryx teeth in a  Pseudoparablastomeryx skull. Their cladogram renders the species left in Leptomeryx as a paraphyletic grade leading to SantuccimeryxPseudoparablastomeryx

In my decidedly non-expert impression, the similar skulls of Santuccimeryx and Pseudoparablastomeryx appear to be due to similar sizes, not necessarily close relationship. Both are even smaller than typical Leptomeryx (which themselves are chevrotain-sized) and their skulls are relatively shorter, with a juvenilized appearance, as is often seen in smaller members of a lineage. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.