News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Greg Paul's Field Guide to Dinosaurs - 3rd Edition

Started by Shane, April 23, 2024, 04:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Quote from: HD-man on April 24, 2024, 03:40:52 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on April 23, 2024, 09:02:57 PM

Heard about that a while ago, but didn't really believe it until now. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems weird & redundant to author/publish 2 books (presumably) covering much of the same ground in the same year.

I'm assuming and hoping that his predatory dinos book will delve deeper into individual entries. The full dino book offers fairly sparse info on individual dino species, so this should be able to get more in depth.

Shane

Quote from: Gwangi on April 23, 2024, 09:04:55 PMSame, so I still have an extensive library even if much of it could be considered obsolete. Sometimes it makes me sad that I don't REALLY need a lot of the books I have. In an effort to use my books more I've occasionally used them to do research for my blog reviews instead of Wikipedia, which just seems too easy sometimes and not as much fun. I'll always have a love for physical media (I also still use Blu-rays and vinyl records) but I have to be more selective these days. That stuff takes up space!

EDIT: I'm definitely going to need the Predatory Dinosaurs book to pair with his other Predatory Dinosaurs book. So between that one and the pterosaur and marine reptiles books that's three Paul books I need before buying an updated version of the one I have.

Very much also still a fan of physical media, including Blu Rays and vinyl records.

Wikipedia is an invaluable resource, especially since it's one of the few sources of info on the internet that's not financially motivated and over-run with AI-generated slop. But it can get pretty academic and as you said is "less fun" than going through a book and finding info.

I love going through my old books, even outdated ones. It's a nice snapshot of the thoughts of the time, and the illustrations are no less beautiful. I have an awesome book full of Brian Franczak paintings that I would never put aside just because a lot of them are out of date.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I do somewhat wish he released pdf versions of his books as the skeletals within would make for amazing references when 3d modeling!

Gwangi

Quote from: Shane on April 24, 2024, 05:50:42 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on April 23, 2024, 09:04:55 PMSame, so I still have an extensive library even if much of it could be considered obsolete. Sometimes it makes me sad that I don't REALLY need a lot of the books I have. In an effort to use my books more I've occasionally used them to do research for my blog reviews instead of Wikipedia, which just seems too easy sometimes and not as much fun. I'll always have a love for physical media (I also still use Blu-rays and vinyl records) but I have to be more selective these days. That stuff takes up space!

EDIT: I'm definitely going to need the Predatory Dinosaurs book to pair with his other Predatory Dinosaurs book. So between that one and the pterosaur and marine reptiles books that's three Paul books I need before buying an updated version of the one I have.

Very much also still a fan of physical media, including Blu Rays and vinyl records.

Wikipedia is an invaluable resource, especially since it's one of the few sources of info on the internet that's not financially motivated and over-run with AI-generated slop. But it can get pretty academic and as you said is "less fun" than going through a book and finding info.

I love going through my old books, even outdated ones. It's a nice snapshot of the thoughts of the time, and the illustrations are no less beautiful. I have an awesome book full of Brian Franczak paintings that I would never put aside just because a lot of them are out of date.

What book is the Brian Franczak one? I'm curious to know if it is one that I have. I definitely have a love for the lavishly illustrated dinosaur books of the 90's. A lot of nostalgia there.

HD-man

avatar_DefinitelyNOTDilo @DefinitelyNOTDilo
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 24, 2024, 08:14:48 PMI do somewhat wish he released pdf versions of his books as the skeletals within would make for amazing references when 3d modeling!

If you're interested, send me a PM.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Shane

Quote from: Gwangi on April 25, 2024, 01:33:15 AM

What book is the Brian Franczak one? I'm curious to know if it is one that I have. I definitely have a love for the lavishly illustrated dinosaur books of the 90's. A lot of nostalgia there.

It's called "Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs" and can be seen about halfway down this memorial article for Brian: https://tetzoo.com/blog/2020/8/29/brian-franczak-1955-2020

It's the one with the Corythosaurs in the water (painted by Ely Kish I believe).

Gwangi

Quote from: Shane on April 25, 2024, 01:17:39 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on April 25, 2024, 01:33:15 AM

It's called "Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs" and can be seen about halfway down this memorial article for Brian: https://tetzoo.com/blog/2020/8/29/brian-franczak-1955-2020

It's the one with the Corythosaurs in the water (painted by Ely Kish I believe).

I thought that might be the one. I have it too.  ^-^

Shane

Quote from: Gwangi on April 25, 2024, 03:28:34 PMI thought that might be the one. I have it too.  ^-^

It's a classic. Lots of good Paul illustrations in that one too.

triceratops83

Got my copy the other day. Once again he lumps most centrosaurines under Centrosaurus, but then he splits Stegosaurus ungulatus from Stegosaurus! He's informally calling it Stegotitanus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.