News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

All Yesterdays---A Very Intriguing Book

Started by suspsy, December 13, 2012, 02:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 04, 2013, 12:55:10 AM
QuoteIt seems that the main purpose of this book is more of a critique of what the authors percieve to be a lack of imagination on the part of other artists than anything related to science.On a personal note,I hope that all other artists don't start aping this style,as I think some of it,like the cotton ball looking Leallynasaura looks really stupid...
I agree, I thought that Leallynasaurua painting was terrible. It didn't look believeable at all to me, just a puffy blob. I like most of John Conway's work though.
Thank you! I couldn't agree more!
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Patrx

Yeah, it's not my favorite Leallynasaura, either XD I really like Niroot's version, or the one by Julio Lacerda. I can see what Conway was going for, though - dinosaurs in cold areas often have to fluff up quite a bit to keep warm:

This little guy is practically spherical XD

Gryphoceratops

I see what patrx is saying.  They look silly but then again, lots of modern animals look silly to us as well.  Would anyone be able to guess the nose on a proboscis monkey having only seen the bones for instance or waddles on a turkey?  Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that a puffy Leallynasaurua is considered most scientifically accurate by any means.  The image is thought provoking though. 

Brontozaurus

Conway's Leallynasaura is the most adorable thing ever and I love it.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Gwangi

I haven't read the book yet but it certainly seems thought provoking. We really don't know what these animals looked like and anything goes so I get the point behind it. That said I think most paleoart should stay a bit more conservative and focus on what we do know about the animals. That is not to say artists shouldn't experiment but there comes a point when you risk venturing from the scientific into the fantastic.

Sharptooth

Quote from: mmfrankford on January 02, 2013, 12:01:51 PM
Sad thing is Peters is not a bad illustrator, he just took a hard right turn somewhere?  ???

He simply has a different (and more than probably wrong) opinion about pterosaurs, that's all.

Not the first time scientists bicker like this  ::)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

mmfrankford

Quote from: Sharptooth on January 08, 2013, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: mmfrankford on January 02, 2013, 12:01:51 PM
Sad thing is Peters is not a bad illustrator, he just took a hard right turn somewhere?  ???

He simply has a different (and more than probably wrong) opinion about pterosaurs, that's all.

Not the first time scientists bicker like this  ::)

I totally agree. Though some of his pterosaur illustrations are bizarre?  :o :))

Balaur

Just got the book for my iPad last night. It was fantastic! I m going to change my way of drawing dinosaurs. And I just have.. Amazing book, recommend it fully! Love Conways art!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.