News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nesting Tyrannosaurs

Started by Balaur, January 07, 2013, 05:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

I have something that has been bugging me a lot. Would a tyrannosaur sit on its nest? I know it's a stupid question, and the possibility to the eggs being crushed, but lets say a Daspletosaurus as the tyrannosaur in question. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Most experts for the last few years say no, big dinosaurs in general just didn't seem to need to sit on their eggs.

amargasaurus cazaui

I think Blade is correct, and they used foliage and leaves to cover the eggs and provide the needed heat. Having said that, Have you ever held a chicken egg in your palm and tried to crush it? Eggs are much more durable than one might think. If you consider that most dinosaur eggs coming to market today are the actual shell as it was originally laid, and is NOT fossilized, that might give you some concept of the strength of dinosaur egg shell. Egg shell does not fossilize, and has remained as it was for all these millenia
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

wings

Gryphoceratops

Wonder if they could have used rotting foliage to keep the nest at the right temp like modern crocodilians do.  Also an animal that large sitting near/next to the eggs could generate a good amount of heat without actually sitting on them. 

Balaur

Quote from: wings on January 07, 2013, 01:16:21 PM
@balaurbondoc2843

Perhaps you would be interested in this paper http://cactus.dixie.edu/jharris/Zelenitsky_theropod_reproduction.pdf.

Thanks wings! I really enjoyed reading it! Just to let everyone know, this question is for the upcoming 2013 diorama contest.  ;)

wings

Ah, I see. Good luck with the contest  :)

Sharptooth

I like to imagine they built something like crocodile nests, as others have said...

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on January 08, 2013, 05:38:23 AM
Quote from: wings on January 07, 2013, 01:16:21 PM
@balaurbondoc2843

Perhaps you would be interested in this paper http://cactus.dixie.edu/jharris/Zelenitsky_theropod_reproduction.pdf.

Thanks wings! I really enjoyed reading it! Just to let everyone know, this question is for the upcoming 2013 diorama contest.  ;)

Now I know why you mentioned Daspletosaurus specifically.  ;)

IHogaRok

Larger dinosaurs don't really sit on nests, so Blade is right.