You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Princeton Field Guide to Predatory Dinosaurs

Started by VD231991, September 19, 2024, 04:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VD231991

I remember reading the 1988 book by Gregory Paul titled Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, and a number of taxonomic actions by Paul in that book describing juvenile Tyrannosaurus specimens LACM 23845 and LACM 28471 as new species of Albertosaurus and Aublysodon no longer held water because those two specimens were subsequently recognized by Tom Carr as Tyrannosaurus juvenile. Now, Greg Paul himself has a new book in the pipeline devoted to the same topic as his 1988 book:
https://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Field-Predatory-Dinosaurs-Guides/dp/0691253161

suspsy

Yes, we've known about this for some time now. I'm on the fence at the moment. I'm keen to see the artwork, but I'm not so keen to read more of Paul's weird classifications. And apparently he still believes that Spinosaurus is a chimera.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

VD231991

Quote from: suspsy on September 19, 2024, 02:59:13 PMYes, we've known about this for some time now. I'm on the fence at the moment. I'm keen to see the artwork, but I'm not so keen to read more of Paul's weird classifications. And apparently he still believes that Spinosaurus is a chimera.
Rauhut (2003) mentioned the possibility of the Spinosaurus aegyptiacus holotype being chimeric, but dal Sasso et al. (2005) rejected this notion.

The forthcoming field guide to theropod dinosaurs by Paul also happens to treat Stygivenator as distinct from Tyrannosaurus and sides with those who say that Nanotyrannus lancensis could be its own taxon irrespective of the fact that CMNH 7541 and "Jane" are juveniles (as are LACM 28471 and LACM 23845). I don't agree with Paul's decision in a paper published in 2022 to split T. rex into three species, but the description of the short-snouted tyrannosaurine taxon Asiatyrannus may lend support to the possibility that Nanotyrannus could be either a tyrannosaurine which convergently evolved a snout similar to that of alioramins or a member of Alioramini.

dal Sasso, C.; Maganuco, S.; Buffetaut, E.; Mendez, M.A. (2005). New information on the skull of the enigmatic theropod Spinosaurus, with remarks on its sizes and affinities. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 25 (4): 888–896.

Rauhut, O.W.M., 2003. The interrelationships and evolution of basal theropod dinosaurs. Special Papers in Palaeontology 69: 1–213.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.