News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Turning A papo Jaguar into a Sabertooth ?

Started by Hellraptor, September 24, 2013, 05:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellraptor

Hi, I have got myself a Papo Jaguar figure that i plan on turing into a sabertooth but i dont feel for cut its tail. Does anyone here have a suggestion for a Sabertooth Cat species that coule fit. I thought if Dinofelis but a jaguar might be to muscular for that one, Eusmilus could work pehaps ?

Regards Hellraptor
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Hellraptor on September 24, 2013, 05:31:49 PM
Hi, I have got myself a Papo Jaguar figure that i plan on turing into a sabertooth but i dont feel for cut its tail. Does anyone here have a suggestion for a Sabertooth Cat species that coule fit. I thought if Dinofelis but a jaguar might be to muscular for that one, Eusmilus could work pehaps ?

Regards Hellraptor
Any particular reason why you want to modify a jag instead of buying Papo's Smilodon figure? Maybe you could just get their Smilodon and paint it with a jaguar pattern. Just wondering :)

Hellraptor

Regards Hellraptor
[/quote]
Any particular reason why you want to modify a jag instead of buying Papo's Smilodon figure? Maybe you could just get their Smilodon and paint it with a jaguar pattern. Just wondering :

Well thats  a good idea and i have thought of that to but the reason is that i would like two have different species, not just Smilodon itself :)
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

paleoferroequine

Well, my opinion is that you can't really just slap some big canines on an extant cat and call it a saber-tooth. Skull proportions are totally different and often bodies are too. Of course I may be too picky. :D I did convert a jaguar in to a Barbourofelis fricki. I altered the head shape a bit and added flanges to the lower jaw and chopped the tail. If I were to do it again I would work on the head more.

Here's another one. Homotherium serum. This was a lioness but in this case I changed each leg bone length to reflect the slope backed appearance of Homotherium serum. The head was narrowed a bit and the muzzle made longer to allow the sabers to fit right. And new fur was sculpted. All work is done with two part epoxy putty.

A possible sabertooth from a jaguar would be the Dinofelis you mentioned, it was heavier and similar size to a jaguar. Just remember the canines were shorter than Smilodon. Other option is Machairodus. The tails don't need to be shortened.

Hellraptor

Quote from: paleoferroequine on September 24, 2013, 07:48:17 PM
Well, my opinion is that you can't really just slap some big canines on an extant cat and call it a saber-tooth. Skull proportions are totally different and often bodies are too. Of course I may be too picky.

A possible sabertooth from a jaguar would be the Dinofelis you mentioned, it was heavier and similar size to a jaguar. Just remember the canines were shorter than Smilodon. Other option is Machairodus. The tails don't need to be shortened.

Ok,yes i know that sabertooth cats have a different shape evne though i know more about dinosaur anatomy. I suggested Dinofelis since that one is very similiar to modern day great cats and i didnt need to do very large canines on it. In not so picky actually :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.