News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rhinoceros Giants

Started by radman, April 27, 2013, 02:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radman

Balaur

stoneage

:)  It just sounds like speculation to me.  Bakker had sauropods with trunks.  Not all big animals in hot climates today have big ears, Rhinos don't.

CityRaptor

Actually the idea of Sauropods with trunks did not come from Bakker. He did one single illustration about it, but the rest of his Sauropods have proper faces. It's Combs who did the trunks thing.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on May 14, 2013, 12:14:41 AM
:)  It just sounds like speculation to me.  Bakker had sauropods with trunks.  Not all big animals in hot climates today have big ears, Rhinos don't.

It was an interesting line, that 'they had big ears like elephants' which would be highly unlikely to fossilize.

One issue I have with any of Prothero's books is that he rarely, if ever, has unique illustrations in them, instead getting permission to re-use existing images from other sources. Especially given the less familiar nature of this book for most readers, some up-to-date illustration could be helpful (of course, that costs much more, which would raise the book price, so it's a trade off).

shauna_kei

Kind of interesting seeing that picture while watching the Indricothere on Walking with Beasts on Netflix. I like the one on the show better.

Gwangi

It looks like they tried to give it an elephant head. Still looks like an interesting book though.

wings

Quote from: Gwangi on May 17, 2013, 03:50:41 AM
It looks like they tried to give it an elephant head. Still looks like an interesting book though.
The author does give explanation to those "ears" (whether you're agreeing with him or not is another matter).

"...the size and shape of the ears... indrichothere were larger in body mass than any living elephant and almost certainly had problems of regulating their body heat at such large size. Elephants must do all they can to increase the surface area of their bodies to release as much excess heat as possible, which is why they have huge fan-like ears full of blood vessels that are essentially giant radiators. Given the huge size of indrichotheres, it seems likely that they too should have had elephant-like ears, or at least very large ears of some shape, much larger than they are drawn... we must look to elephant for a different model... soft tissue of the external ear almost never fossilizes (it is only known in mummified Ice Age mammoths, bison and woolly rhinos), the robust bones around the ear opening are much like those in some elephants and mastodons, suggesting that indrichotheres should be drawn with much larger ears..."

Gwangi

Makes sense, I can't argue with that logic. Still I wonder if they could have made larger ears, only more rhino-like in structure? Still wouldn't mind reading it though.

Ultimatedinoking

It looks like the legs are too skinny. Also which version of Paraceratherium  is the more modern, the long necked thin legged one, or the short necked heavily built one?  ??? They both seem to pop up together.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK