News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thylacosmilus - Paleocraft

Started by ataraxus, March 04, 2013, 10:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ataraxus

a really fun to paint it:

thanks for looking!

Himmapaan

Oh, what a beautiful model. As all Sean Cooper's sculptures are. And such beautiful paintwork, too.

paleoferroequine

Wow, really a beautiful paint job! Congrats! :))

ProSauropod

This has to be the finest "mammal" paint work I've seen (and excellent photography).  Would you mind sharing how you did it?  The depth and lustre of the hair is remarkable !

gorgosaurus

Sean Cooper´s mammal kits are the tops!

Very much like how you´ve handled the fur.
(Not so keen on the eye-colour, but don´t let that bother you, it´s just my personal taste.)
Admirable work!

Spike.

ataraxus

many thanks for the nice feedbacks! at first, i took a picture of our beloved pet:

(that`s also the Reason for the eyecolor)

after preparing the model i use at first khaki brown from vallejo for the complete model, then i highlightende the lighter parts with a sand color and the darker areas with  a mixture of transparent jetblack and black ink. then i use again the khaki brown for softing the lines. then i misted with with a dark earth wash the model. then i drybrush the fur with bone color, a light khaki color and a walnut brown, then again misting with dark earth wash, then washing with a dark wash the dark areas, a middle wash for the sand and the khaki areas when the washes are still pet i use a big brush and mix at the lines the washes. then again dark earth wash of the model, again drybrush the fur and again misting with the dark earth wash. then detail works like teeth and eyes. late the base i use grey, brown, moss green colors, washes, drybrush and pigments.
a little anecdote: i paint this kit at twice: i finished is yesterday and as i want to seal it i use yellow primer instead of clear varnish. i was really shocked. but so i paint it new, i bring out more the lighter parts and so i`m now more satiesfied than before.  8)
ah, and sorry for me poor english.

Himmapaan

My goodness, I think I would have had a heart attack if I'd accidentally sprayed primer instead of varnish on to a finished model. :o But I'm glad you were able to repaint it to even greater satisfaction in the end.  :D

Dr. Brad

Wow! Beautiful paint work - thanks for sharing!

0onarcissisto0

Yeah, I love how smoothly everything transitions. And wow! As Niroot mentioned, I would be crushed if I ruined a finished piece knowing how long it takes me to finish a figure. That shows amazing persistence on your part! Good job :)
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.