News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Big Golden Book of Dinosaurs

Started by tyrantqueen, March 02, 2013, 12:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Many people are familiar with the original Giant Golden Book of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Reptiles by J.W Watson.
It seems as though it is being remade, by Robert Bakker and Luis Rey.

As a dinosaur bibliophile, this piqued my interest. I don't really know what the point of such a move is, but if it helps to spark an interest in prehistoric life in young children in the way the original did, it can't be a bad thing, right? Although, I know the original will have a special and irreplaceable spot in my heart (as trite as that sounds ::))

At just 64 pages, I dunno if this is really worthy of the title of "big"

...You can preorder this book on Amazon if you so desire.

sauroid

that's cool. i like Luis Rey's art but the fish eyes of the Brach is kinda creepy.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Simon

I had the first book when I was a kid.  Nice that Bakker/Rey are doing a new one.  (I liked their kid's book of about 10 years ago 'Maximum Triceratops').

Looks to me like old Luis Rey patterned that Brachiosaurus after the Kaiyodo 1/20 gigantic 1980s Brachiosaurus model by Araki ... the shape of the body/tail and the skin folds give it away ...

Iguanocolossus

Quite possibly my favorite book in my collection since I was in first grade (my teacher gave it to me as a gift)

You can bet I'll buy the other! Bakker's still my favorite paleontologist and Rey's art is always good.

docronnie

I just saw this book, the first one, in one of our bargain stores, but left to hunt for dinosaur toys.  When I returned, it was gone already.  :(
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

stoneage

I have the original book which was copyrighted in 1960.  That's probably when my parents gave it to me.  My book has 60 pages maximum if you include picture of maps where dinosaurs were found in the world.  The original illustrations are done by Rudolph Zallinger.  It has a timeline from early man back to 293 MYA.  I wonder how many times its been reprinted. Anyway I prefer Zallinger to Rey.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stoneage on March 03, 2013, 09:05:01 PM
I have the original book which was copyrighted in 1960.  That's probably when my parents gave it to me.  My book has 60 pages maximum if you include picture of maps where dinosaurs were found in the world.  The original illustrations are done by Rudolph Zallinger.  It has a timeline from early man back to 293 MYA.  I wonder how many times its been reprinted. Anyway I prefer Zallinger to Rey.
I agree with you, actually. I don't hate Luis Rey's art much anymore, but his style is one that takes some getting used to.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.