News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sue

Started by T-rex, March 11, 2013, 08:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-rex

Has anyone seen sue the t-rex?  I have when i was a kid.

Dikiyoba

I think I saw a traveling Sue exhibit once.

Being from western Oregon, I'm only an hour or two from the Samson specimen at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. (Picture not mine)

amargasaurus cazaui

There is a thread in the forum, about the Chicago Field Museum, where the original skeleton , her skull and gastralia are on permanent display, if that is helpful
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I was able to see SUE a few years ago at a traveling exhibit.  It was very cool seeing a life size T-Rex fossil finally.

amargasaurus cazaui

I had understood the original was on permanent display and the traveling displays were all cast replicas and not actual fossil material, in effect a large resin model
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's true but it's as good as it gets.  We now have a local museum with a mount of Stan as well .

Dikiyoba

Seems like it would make the most sense nowadays to make all mounted displays replicas instead of real fossils. That way, there's less risk of damage to the real fossils and researchers can have access to them without taking anything off public display. Plus, for big dinosaurs the replicas would be lighter and need less rods and wires so the bones would look more lifelike.

amargasaurus cazaui

The actual skeletal for Sue is on display at the Chicago Field house. We are fortunate to Have Ivan the Tyrannosaur fifteen minutes from my home. I have mixed feelings about replicas versus natural mounts, because all too often the original fossil material is lost or displaced in some basement or archaic filing sytem where noone can do much with it anyways. Sometime read Jack Horner and his recounting of how he remounted the original Hadrosaurus found in New Jersey. Or read how the skeleton of the Barosaurus at the AMH came into being and what a project that required. It might turn your thinking about artificial versus natural mounts.
  For my own money I would far rather view original skeletal material, so you can see the places it was preserved and where it has been composited or rebuilt.
  That being said, the versions of Sue on tour serve to keep harm from the original fossil, and also allow maximum income from the dinosaur.

Splonkadumpocus

I've seen the original specimens of Sue, Stan, and AMNH 5027.

In fact, I live only 30 minutes away from the Black Hills Institute where Stan is on display.

boba ben

I live about an hour outside of Chicago, so I've seen Sue quite a few times in my day.  She's a beautiful specimen.  Their dinosaur collection is very impressive.  I consider myself very lucky to live so near it.

s.foulkes

Unfortunately most of our mounted Dinosaur specimens are more sculpted material then castings from real fossils. im ok with castings made of the fossil material found, its not feasible to try and mount the original fossil due to weight and cost value of the real thing  ,so casting of just the original are fine, I wish more mounts would be shown this way but instead they have sculptors fill in the missing elements and that im unfortunately make up the majority of the mount your looking at. At least with Sue ,her mount is more fossil casting then subbed in material sculpt so that's awesome. To many times the mount that stands before you is more conjecture than casted fossil ! Sue is really a massive animal.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

RockyMountainRex

I was able to see the Traveling Sue just a couple of years back when they came through Denver; I enjoyed the program that they put together.   :)
Rawr!

DinoLord

I've seen Sue twice at the Field Museum (excellent institution). The skeleton on display is pretty much all the original fossils, except for the skull, which is too heavy to be displayed. The actual skull is displayed nearby in another spot in the museum.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.