News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Question about an obscure book

Started by tyrantqueen, September 13, 2013, 04:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

There was a book published by GSP in Japan only:

I want to know whether this contains any skeletal diagrams that his Princeton Field Guide doesn't. Additionally, is there anywhere I can buy this book? I know a Japanese person who can help me with shipping it to the UK, but I'm unsure if it is even available any more (or whether it's really worth it)

Since it's probably going to be worth an insane amount of money, should I pick it up?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've been told that Paul's Field Guide reproduces almost all of his skeletal work..many of which haven't been updated in quite awhile.

Since these probably don't vary much if at all.. I would say it isn't worth the added expense unless you are a devout GSP collector .

wings

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 13, 2013, 04:40:18 PM
I want to know whether this contains any skeletal diagrams that his Princeton Field Guide doesn't. Additionally, is there anywhere I can buy this book? I know a Japanese person who can help me with shipping it to the UK, but I'm unsure if it is even available any more (or whether it's really worth it)

Since it's probably going to be worth an insane amount of money, should I pick it up?
The Japanese book does have skeletal diagrams that isn't in the field guide. There is no doubt that the field guide has more species but the main difference between the two is that the Japanese one has more front and back views of some of these specimens. I'm not sure why he didn't publish them in the field guide (since he's already created them) but one guess would be most if not all of these front view reconstructions have the shoulder blades setting too wide apart (In the past, Paul tends to draw wide anterior sternums for all his animals which in turn widen the gap between the coracoids; probably these were made before all the new discoveries on the wishbones and how their articulations related to the shoulder blades...) and would be quite a bit of work to go through them again.

Is it worth it? It really depends on how much it is and how much you value this kind of work; though I'm guessing the original price of the book would be far less than what it is going for now. I thought you would have seen the pdf version of the book already...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: wings on September 14, 2013, 06:14:14 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 13, 2013, 04:40:18 PM

The Japanese book does have skeletal diagrams that isn't in the field guide. There is no doubt that the field guide has more species but the main difference between the two is that the Japanese one has more front and back views of some of these specimens. I'm not sure why he didn't publish them in the field guide (since he's already created them) but one guess would be most if not all of these front view reconstructions have the shoulder blades setting too wide apart (In the past, Paul tends to draw wide anterior sternums for all his animals which in turn widen the gap between the coracoids; probably these were made before all the new discoveries on the wishbones and how their articulations related to the shoulder blades...) and would be quite a bit of work to go through them again.

Is it worth it? It really depends on how much it is and how much you value this kind of work; though I'm guessing the original price of the book would be far less than what it is going for now. I thought you would have seen the pdf version of the book already...
Thanks for the explanation. No, I have not seen the PDF :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.