You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Reference needed for prehistoric flora

Started by tyrantqueen, June 23, 2013, 05:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Hi
I am building a diorama and I would like to make it as accurate as possible. Does anyone know of any references to plants that existed in prehistoric times? A book or website would be very useful.

My paleobotanical knowledge is pretty pathetic, the only plants I know of are ferns and cycads :-[

wings

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 23, 2013, 05:57:01 AM
Hi
I am building a diorama and I would like to make it as accurate as possible. Does anyone know of any references to plants that existed in prehistoric times? A book or website would be very useful.

My paleobotanical knowledge is pretty pathetic, the only plants I know of are ferns and cycads :-[

This is an intro to the Mesozoic plants (https://notendur.hi.is/oi/Nemendaritgerdir/Audur%20-%20An%20introduction%20to%20the%20Mezozoic%20Paleobotany.pdf, fig 5 and 7). It gives the general plant taxa in different altitudes and time periods. Since most of the time all we get is seeds, branches and leaves so the overall shape of the plant could be tricky work out and all we can do is model their modern day relatives (if any...) and that is the reason why most books/articles on plant fossils only figured the "parts" rather than the whole plant. There are more names to look up from this site (http://www.fossilnews.com/2000/mezplants/mezplants.html; again an intro site). Depending on the location of your diorama, there might be specific study on the flora of the area. I highly doubt there is an all-in-one website or book on every locations yet...

tyrantqueen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.